Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

Hey Kirk,

Are you using the acidulated malt to help lower the ph and the gypsum for a drier finish?

Yeah, my water is terrible. 

Gypsum is for a drier finish to help the hops pop more. I’ve been using a little less since doing this for the same effect. 

Still this is trial and error. Going to order a water test kit shortly as my water tester at my wife’s work fell through. 

Then I’ll dial in my water profile. 

Ive been flying in the wind for this time why not keep going?......

soon as my wife stops buying snowboarding gear I’ll be able to afford a test kit ha ha ha

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Norris! said:

I noticed with my last brew that it wasn't as crisp as a Balter XPA so I will probably add some acidulated malt and a smidge of gypsum to my next batch to see if it helps with a crisper and drier profile.

I will be interested to hear how using gypsum goes.  I bought an all grain Black IPA recipe recently that included 10g of gypsum.  I will not be brewing it for a little while though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I will be interested to hear how using gypsum goes.  I bought an all grain Black IPA recipe recently that included 10g of gypsum.  I will not be brewing it for a little while though.

I am hoping to be able to pick up the difference, I didn't notice it until my wife cracked open a Balter and I took the opportunity to compare it to my brew. Obviously slightly different but both ales with fruity hops. I am interested also, to be honest, to see if I notice anything.

• Like 2

AG Pale Ale landed in the fermenter last Tuesday night so thought I’d give it a test tonight. Was going to feed it to a US05 but found a bottle of CCA yeast in the fridge saved from the last brew. 

Was expecting a FG of 1.013 but it’s sitting at 1.010 now. Not expecting it go much lower than that but I’ll see how it looks on Wednesday night and bottle if it’s still the same. Sample smelt and tasted great.

Not sure if my mash temp dropped to far or the CCA went further than expected, but this is going to be a big brew! Should be roughly 6.5% in the bottle.

• Like 3

You should notice a difference. Acid malt will obviously drop the mash pH, how far depends a lot on how much carbonate is in your water. Lower mash pH generally does produce a crisper beer which is why it's done with lagers. 

Gypsum will help with increasing hop presence but you don't want to be too heavy with it otherwise it just ends up too harsh/tart like. I usually run with a sulphate to chloride ratio of around 1.2 for pale ales to keep it in check but still make them noticeable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another simple partial mash beer going down today.  I've still got a Real Ale can to use up so I'm going to use that as a base for a hoppy English Bitter.  This time there will be no additional specialty malts however and in the interests of aiding the mash pH this time I will use a little Glaffield 'sour grapes' malt in the grist (same as acidulated malt).  

• 1.7kg Coopers RA can
  • 2kg Maris Otter
  • 200g GF sour grapes
  • 25g EKG @ 5 mins
  • 25g Fuggles @ FO
  • 5g gypsum
  • Nottingham Yeast

| ABV = 4.2% | EBC = 15 | IBU = 34 |

I'll have hops left over so may well dry-hop this one too and though perhaps considered by some to be a little out of style 'a handful in the cask' isn't unheard of.  

🤓

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 3

Recipe: 4 Bidden
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain, BIAB, No Chill, Lazy, No Extract, Made My Own Wort, Used My Own Mill
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 6.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 14.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         1          50.0 %        1.30 L        
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC)     Grain         2          50.0 %        1.30 L        
10.00 g          Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           3          5.3 IBUs      -             
25.00 g          Nelson Sauvin [10.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0  Hop           4          9.4 IBUs      -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forbidden Fruit Yeast

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What the hell-es this?

I rarely brew lagers.  But I have a cerveza can on hand and I thought it'd be interesting to see if I can brew really pale beer with it.  It's difficult to achieve a really light coloured beer with extract but this lighter can (3.3EBC) partnered with 50% base malts might just get me close to the sort of pale straw you can get with AG.  I decided on a Munich helles for no particular reason other than I watched one made in a brewing video the other day!  I won't be brewing it according to strict lager 'rules' though, it'll be a quick lager - I  won't be lagering beyond the cold crash and I'll ferment cold-ish with either Coopers A/L blend or perhaps even try Nottingham at 12 - 14ºC.  I'm using Wakatu hops because of their Hallertau lineage and what's left over will then be useful in a future PA or whatever.  So, this will be going down tomorrow a.m. : 

• 1.7kg Coopers Cerveza
  • 1.6kh GF German Pilsner Malt
  • 600g GF Vienna Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 200g Sugar
  • 25g Wakatu @ 10mins
  • 5g Gypsum

| ABV=4.8% | IBU=19 | EBC=6.5 |

👨‍🔬

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Worthog said:

Interesting brew BS. My main interest, though, is Nottingham at 12-14c. If it works please post.

Cheers

As it happens my brew day was delayed... a burst water pipe in the kitchen wall!

😱

Plumber came this morning (Sunday) cut a hole in the wall and sorted it so I started my brew just a couple of hours ago.  At this stage I was erring on the side of Coopers A/L blend, but you know what, just for you I'll use Notty instead!  😇

Actually, I'm kinda interested myself to see how it does fermenting cold.  Though the specs say it works down as low as 10ºC I'll aim at the 12-14ºC range for this one an see how it goes.  In fact, I'll shoot for the middle and try it at 13ºC.  

👨‍🔬

• Like 1

Well after some delay managed to get brewing again... a Bassstarrd late Hop IP brew it shall be...  

BB malt with a bit of wheat and some dextrin malt for a laugh... milled this arvo... rainwater... 60 min mash around 67...

45 minute boil... and did a -10 min through to +30 steep with 25/25 of Ella and US-Cascade... will apply CCC later after the froth and bubble calms...

Using the Desert No-Chill fan method as not got enough water for nuthin'... 

Not got a pool... and the close dam has got a dead roo in it surfacing in the last foot as it dries out...  so couldn't do a cube-chill either  😝…. well would rather not.

Love that creamy top as the brew comes up to the boil....   and Go the Desert No-Chill!

image.png.7ed58ff1d95eed97dd6c7a882466496d.png

• Like 6

On 10/6/2019 at 1:37 AM, Worthog said:

Interesting brew BS. My main interest, though, is Nottingham at 12-14c. If it works please post.

Cheers

Temperature is set to 13ºC and I see krausening this morning.   SG has already dropped 6 gravity points (1.048 -> 1.042) so there's no doubt that Nottingham is quite happy at this temperature.   🤓

• Like 4

Brew day! 🙂

Southern Hemi Pale Ale:

Coopers Light Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg
Dextrose 100gms
Coopers Ale Malt grain 1kg
Wheat Malt grain 250gms
CaraPils 300gms
CaraBohemian 50gms
Warrior 10gms @ 60mins
Riwaka 20gms @ 20mins
Galaxy 10gms @ 10mins
Riwaka 20gms @ 5mins
Galaxy/Riwaka 20gms @ flameout
Riwaka 40gms, Galaxy 20gms dry hopped
Coopers Commercial Ale Yeast
Brewed to 21 litres
OG = approx. 1.047 FG = ?
EBC = 10.0 IBU = 34.4
Kegged ABV = 4.5%

Just spewin' I forgot to add the 5.2 stabilizer to the mash water. Ohh well.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Beerlust that looks nice mate...  if you are not doing AG I really am a big believer in the Liquid Malt mate...

Coopers Light Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg and the Coops Liquid Malted Wheat Extract.... pure Gold that stuff.

I learned the hard way with dry malt... just does not deliver the same head retention and mouth feel when doing Partials or KnK.

I see you got some wheat malted grain in there as well... am a big supporter.

Cheers mate and good luck with the brew!

BB

• Like 1

Taking advantage of the long weekend to actually brew at home. 

Been 4 or 5 months since I brewed at home so after finding everything and getting it cleaned and ready I finally extracted a thumb and made a hefe .

Temps settled perfectly for Ferulic and sacc rests,  pH was spot on and surprise surprise even gravity is 1 point higher than calculated .

Kinda a shame to swap nearly all this away for a variety of beers from some of the states best brewers but I'll survive I think 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Brew day! 🙂

Southern Hemi Pale Ale:

Coopers Light Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg
Dextrose 100gms
Coopers Ale Malt grain 1kg
Wheat Malt grain 250gms
CaraPils 300gms
CaraBohemian 50gms
Warrior 10gms @ 60mins
Riwaka 20gms @ 20mins
Galaxy 10gms @ 10mins
Riwaka 20gms @ 5mins
Galaxy/Riwaka 20gms @ flameout
Riwaka 40gms, Galaxy 20gms dry hopped
Coopers Commercial Ale Yeast
Brewed to 21 litres
OG = approx. 1.047 FG = ?
EBC = 10.0 IBU = 34.4
Kegged ABV = 4.5%

Just spewin' I forgot to add the 5.2 stabilizer to the mash water. Ohh well.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

That looks like a nice recipe. Riwaka and galaxy, sweet. I have never used riwaka but have been meaning too. My local LHBS doesn't carry it to often and when they do it can be quite expensive, like 33% higher than galaxy or mosaic or the like. I have seen it cheap at other places but just haven't pulled the trigger, because of shipping costs. I cannot wait to hear the flavours and aromas.

Good brewing

Norris

• Like 1

I was going to do a hop bursted session ale that WAS on sale at the LHBS but that sale ended and I don't want to make a Aussie lager, or 23l of it, so I am trying to decide if I should go with my own recipe or just wait 2 weeks and see the next sale...I have become a miser, or a barefoot investor, almost the same but it seems like it sometimes. I am trying to convince myself that I would brew regardless if I was doing extract and it would cost $10-18 more anyways.

I am going with this pale as I continue to work out the bitterness from my process. I am hoping for 35ibus and 1.05 OG.

Screenshot_20191007-185443_Firefox.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Norris! said:

I was going to do a hop bursted session ale that WAS on sale at the LHBS but that sale ended and I don't want to make a Aussie lager, or 23l of it, so I am trying to decide if I should go with my own recipe or just wait 2 weeks and see the next sale...I have become a miser, or a barefoot investor, almost the same but it seems like it sometimes. I am trying to convince myself that I would brew regardless if I was doing extract and it would cost $10-18 more anyways.

I am going with this pale as I continue to work out the bitterness from my process. I am hoping for 35ibus.

Hey Norris.... guess I am really a beginner at AG... but all I can say is that if you buy a 25kg bag it's all a bit cheaper... I sorta have to as I cannot just 'drop down to the LHBS'... cos am 'out in the paddock' a bit.

So I got a bag (or what remains on the day) of BB Pale... and a bag of Weyermann's Pils Malt... and a bag of BB Wheat... and a bag of Voyager Veloria all in pest-free containers... and so it really works out pretty cost effective.... but yeah I guess I don't have barrels of all the specialty grains.... 

So buying in bulk does reduce cost but may restrict yer flexibility I guess... 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I am looking at buying bulk and just getting the spec grains when I need them. Thanks BB

Yes mate I reckon that  is the way to go - but as long as you can store away from heat rodents weevils roaches etc... something I have to be always very vigilant about... 

• Thanks 1

Two brew day today.

The Belgian Golden Strong with be fermented with a reused Belgian Pale yeast

Recipe: Belgian Golden Strong
Style: Belgian Golden Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain, BIAB, No-chill because I am lazy and like to be tied to a process where by I make my own wort when it is convenient for me

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.073 SG
Estimated Color: 9.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
5.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          77.5 %        3.26 L        
1.00 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         2          15.5 %        0.65 L        
0.45 kg          Candi Sugar, Clear [Boil] (5.0 EBC)              Sugar         3          7.0 %         0.32 L        
60.00 g          Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           4          25.9 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        5          -             -             
50.00 g          Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20. Hop           6          6.5 IBUs      -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other Flanders has been fermenting 5 months now and should be bottled soon. This will go onto the cake of that.

Recipe: Flanders IV
Style: Flanders Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Bestimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 31.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 14.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
2.50 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         1          47.3 %        1.63 L        
2.50 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         2          47.3 %        1.63 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         3          4.7 %         0.16 L        
0.03 kg          Carafa III (Weyermann) (1034.2 EBC)              Grain         4          0.6 %         0.02 L        
30.00 g          Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           5          14.4 IBUs     -             

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Two brew day today.

The Belgian Golden Strong with be fermented with a reused Belgian Pale yeast

The other Flanders has been fermenting 5 months now and should be bottled soon. This will go onto the cake of that.

Sounds ripper Ben.

You seem to fond of the Styrian Goldings - is this a Belgian thing?