Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

On 6/29/2019 at 7:33 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Running low on beer so have just finished a 19L concentrate for two pale ales to ferment tomorrow in 2 fermenters. Used a lot of different hops on this one to clear my old hops

5kg pale malt

500gm light crystal

500gm munich

500gm LDME with 10 mins to go

Mashed at 65c for 90 mins. 60 min boil.

28gm magnum, 11gm sticklebract, 13gm perle at 60 mins

40gm galaxy and 20gm mosaic at 10 mins with irish moss

40gm galaxy and 20gm mosaic at flameout. 

Will have to buy some more hops for the dry hop and keg hop.

Both to be fermented with US05. One a 2L starter made from slurry and the other 300ml of 2 week old slurry.

Was hoping for 1076 but only got 1072. Both fermenters will be a touch below 4% ABV. Ah well.

Hey @MartyG1525230263o just some info about pitching on a yeast cake with ale yeast. The yeast slurry one in this batch is finished in 2 and a half days at 1008. The 2L starter is at 1018 and the hydro sample tastes a lot better than the slurry one even though it's exactly the same. Normally I would pitch 200ml of slurry with the OG of these batches but I was gun-shy from a previous slurry pitch and went extra on this one. I think I made a mistake and lesson reinforced for me to not overpitch ale yeast.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

Why do you have a picture of Kelsey on your wall😂 

Weird.............

It's his avatar. I downloaded a copy of it, downloaded a pic of duct tape, edited it.......ahh nevermind. 

BeerBaron1.jpg

😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 6

17 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Hey @MartyG1525230263o just some info about pitching on a yeast cake with ale yeast. The yeast slurry one in this batch is finished in 2 and a half days at 1008. The 2L starter is at 1018 and the hydro sample tastes a lot better than the slurry one even though it's exactly the same. Normally I would pitch 200ml of slurry with the OG of these batches but I was gun-shy from a previous slurry pitch and went extra on this one. I think I made a mistake and lesson reinforced for me to not overpitch ale yeast.

the brew I did on the yeast cake was finished on Saturday morning stable Monday then crashed in the arvo ...  it is getting kegged today because the son in-law is very impatient ... so 6 days from pitch to keg ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

the brew I did on the yeast cake was finished on Saturday morning stable Monday then crashed in the arvo ...  it is getting kegged today because the son in-law is very impatient ... so 6 days from pitch to keg ... 

Yup. They finish bloody fast when overpitched. Just saying dont expect it to be at its best. Mine certainly isn't what it could have been.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:08 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Remember these three words and you will find brewing a lot less stressful: ignore the airlock. 😎

Condensation inside the lid is a good sign. Sometimes a brew won't produce a big krausen, but check the SG anyway. That is the best way to confirm what's going on in there.

I have done and still do both... my Coopers Plazzi Krausen-Collar FV obviously has no airlock and works a treat... and I love being able to see the big festive Krausen going on... but my SS jobby (canna see through stainless walls... well not yet) has an airlock and I too do stress... but when it happens I love the sound and the bubbler action... 'Tis a beautiful thing... and I feel good filling the airlock with Aldi Vodka as a further barrier to the outside world... just for the LOLs.

But deffo if things are not sealing - no seal - no bubbles (in more ways than one hey 😋)

Get yerself a seal - you should get some bubbles...

image.png.e14382b9be9e096d496c0bd43929a47f.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:39 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

You are the Yeast King Greeny!

Am taking notes ; )

Edited by Bearded Burbler

21 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yup. They finish bloody fast when overpitched. Just saying dont expect it to be at its best. Mine certainly isn't what it could have been.

Why is this so?

Is it a growth phase thing - the yeast population metabolising the fermentables in different ways depending upon what growth phase they are in?

36 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Why is this so?

Is it a growth phase thing - the yeast population metabolising the fermentables in different ways depending upon what growth phase they are in?

Yeah as i understand it the yeast multiplying throws flavour as well. Less multiplying means less flavour basically. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's more that the growth phase produces flavours of its own. Without a growth phase, those flavours are lost.

Well I should be able to pick up some taste with this next batch ... Pitched a real ale last night at 23 degrees and the inkbird is at 19 ... I used two packs of coopers commercial kit ale yeast just for the dang of it ... I have been using US 05, which is pretty neutral, from my yeast bank and brews have been dropping 10 points or more in the 1st 12 hours ... this morning it was a drop of 4 points ... so fermentation has started ... will be interested to see when it is finished my bet Sunday ...   any this will be a slow brew will cold crash for the best part of a week as this will be my 1st keg brew ... 

• Like 2

Bit of a brew n bbq day today haven't got my base malt out but or lactose, will do a Milkshake Pale Ale with magnum Citra mosaic and Ella followed by a small batch tweaked Diablo IPA in the small FV with Vic secret and ella. Going to fire up the smoker and do the ribs multiple ways dry rubbed and glazed etc. First all grain brew day since being home again so thought I better it a gooden. Gotta bottle my alcoholic root beer I made also.. at least I can enjoy some ribs with that tedious process.

IMG20190706102734.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Just put the Raspberry Wheat Beer down. Subbed out the US-05 for some Safbrew WB-06. I now have 3 FVs full 😲

I generally try and stay well clear of the Coopers DME, but when I order a recipe kit, it's pretty unavoidable. It's also handy when the only thing open on a brew day is Dan Murphys.

IMG_20190706_140251.jpg.e72de9fdb819281a576df3e4d4c770f2.jpg

This was only 1 of the 2 x 500g packs I got. Luckily I had 500g of LHBS DME to add in, otherwise who knows how many of these lumps of clay would be in the FV.

I've read opinions on here that it's supposedly a superior product to the better dissolving DME you get at the LHBS. I assume this is based on taste and not functionality. 

I've also read that the lumps are supposed to disperse over time, and the yeast still eats it up anyway, but I am wondering how this would affect my OG reading if they're not dissolved properly when I take it. BTW - I was only 1 point shy of target OG.

Also - it's not very aesthetically pleasing and TBH a bit of a PITA.

Edited by elLachlano

@elLachlano, I do the swirl method.  Much better than trying to stir it in first.

1. Tip the LDM into the fermenter
  2. Pour in 1-1.5L of boiling water
  3. Put lid on fermenter (newer Coopers style)
  4. Pick up the fermenter
  5. Gently swirl the contents for 30 seconds to a minute

Generally find most of the LDM has dissolved.  The hot water and stirring eventually gets rid of any remaining lumps.

• Like 2

Transfered from cube to FV leaving about a litre or so behind in the cube so topped it up to 23L and added the lactose, pretty happy with my numbers for my first all grain in awhile forgot how long it took. Haven't tried making a "milkshake" ale before but looking forward to trying it. Time to free up the over FV and put something else down.

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:30 PM, elLachlano said:

Just put the Raspberry Wheat Beer down. Subbed out the US-05 for some Safbrew WB-06. I now have 3 FVs full 😲

I generally try and stay well clear of the Coopers DME, but when I order a recipe kit, it's pretty unavoidable. It's also handy when the only thing open on a brew day is Dan Murphys.

This was only 1 of the 2 x 500g packs I got. Luckily I had 500g of LHBS DME to add in, otherwise who knows how many of these lumps of clay would be in the FV.

I've read opinions on here that it's supposedly a superior product to the better dissolving DME you get at the LHBS. I assume this is based on taste and not functionality. 

I've also read that the lumps are supposed to disperse over time, and the yeast still eats it up anyway, but I am wondering how this would affect my OG reading if they're not dissolved properly when I take it. BTW - I was only 1 point shy of target OG.

Also - it's not very aesthetically pleasing and TBH a bit of a PITA.

Hey there E - every LDME - powder product I have ever used - has always clumped up if you put in a fair whack of it... irrelevant of brand... it is just a sugary product.

Only way is to introduce v slowly - or take off line prior to the boiling Brew - and shake and or stir in to get it to go into solution...

IMHHO...

BB

Big Red Time.....

Recipe: Benny's Big Red
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Rye IPA
TYPE: All Grain (because it makes better beer, consistently and I can mill my own grain with a mill that doesn't require maintenance), BIAB, No Chill (because it is time efficient and is definitely not lazy)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.074 SG
Estimated Color: 31.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 74.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   1          -             -             
4.50 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         2          65.7 %        2.93 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         3          14.6 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         4          14.6 %        0.65 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         5          3.6 %         0.16 L        
0.10 kg          Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (482.6 EBC)            Grain         6          1.5 %         0.07 L        
50.00 g          Enigma [15.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min                 Hop           7          74.2 IBUs     -             
1.00 Items       Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)                Fining        8          -             -             
MJ Liberty Bell

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

TYPE: All Grain (because it makes better beer, consistently and I can mill my own grain with a mill that doesn't require maintenance), BIAB, No Chill (because it is time efficient and is definitely not lazy)

Ha ha, I just noticed this.

I have just booked my mill in for its quarterly maintenance and service.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ben 10 said:

Bridgeport Kingpin was the beer that inspired mine however I have not see that anywhere for a long time. Ideally I'd use other hops such as Liberty or Santium but I don't have any.

Bridgeport ceased trading in March 2019.

I think I will add this beer to my list. I have been meaning to do it for a while now. And I must resist the temptation to add late hops.