Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

Smashing out an APA while making some Texas Hot Links...

Recipe: American Pale
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 14.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 53.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
5.25 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          95.5 %        3.42 L        
0.25 kg          Crystal Rye Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (157.6 EBC)    Grain         2          4.5 %         0.16 L        
20.00 g          Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min                 Hop           3          27.1 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           4          8.3 IBUs      -             
30.00 g          Cascade [6.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           5          6.0 IBUs      -             
30.00 g          Simcoe [13.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           6          12.3 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days             Hop           7          0.0 IBUs      -             
40.00 g          Simcoe [13.20 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days              Hop           8          0.0 IBUs      -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 3

I brewed up my Black DIPL based on the OS Dark Ale kit tonight. Man the whole house smells so good... I guess 12+g/l flameout hops is a decent dose... Time to do a hoppy beer right. 

Recipe was...

11l fermenter volume, 90 IBU, 1.080 OG, 100 EBC

1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale kit

750g Coopers LDM 

250g dextrose 

80g Simcoe at flameout

40g Motueka at flameout

20g Bravo at flameout

I will do 2 dry hop doses of the following (1 in about a week and the second 3 days after that to replace it):

60g Simcoe 

30g Motueka 

10g Bravo 

I've pitched my Coopers IS ale / lager yeast slurry and it should be at about 10C by the morning to begin the ferment. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Rainy days = 2 consecutive brew days = full FVs! Finally got a lager down due to the cold weather. Bring on that sulphur smell.

pixlr_20190629182035417.thumb.jpg.28053c8a7c0203075047c24a655ee344.jpg

FV1: (in the fridge) English bitter can with some magnum for extra punch and CCA yeast.

FV2: (ambient shed) 1st Borough Lager that I'm gonna dry hop with Amarillo and Chinook.

Totes tempted to try and get another lager down tomorrow. If only for more Hallertau Mittelfrueh...

• Like 6

Running low on beer so have just finished a 19L concentrate for two pale ales to ferment tomorrow in 2 fermenters. Used a lot of different hops on this one to clear my old hops

5kg pale malt

500gm light crystal

500gm munich

500gm LDME with 10 mins to go

Mashed at 65c for 90 mins. 60 min boil.

28gm magnum, 11gm sticklebract, 13gm perle at 60 mins

40gm galaxy and 20gm mosaic at 10 mins with irish moss

40gm galaxy and 20gm mosaic at flameout. 

Will have to buy some more hops for the dry hop and keg hop.

Both to be fermented with US05. One a 2L starter made from slurry and the other 300ml of 2 week old slurry.

Was hoping for 1076 but only got 1072. Both fermenters will be a touch below 4% ABV. Ah well.

• Like 5

Well I just put down 2 more brews yesterday in Fv1 I have done an Irish stout 23 Ltr with vinalla essence and ditched the coopers yeast for a safale s-04. 

And in Fv2 I have done my first tea hopped brew, its Australian pale ale with 25grm citra and 25 grm Galaxy, also switched the coopers yeast for saf us-05.

Will be dry hopping on Wednesday probably 25 grms of each again.

Does this sound right to anyone?

• Like 5

Red Ale, just mashed today and will go into the FV tomorrow.

This is my first AG Red Ale so I am looking forward to it.

My grain schedule is not exactly my prefered combo for Red but somewhat dictated by LHBS supply.

• To 23 litre
  • 3.8kg Maris Otter
  • 300g Dark Crystal
  • 200g Red-X
  • 200g Caramalt
  • 70g Roasted Malt, all @66c/75min
  • 10g Simcoe@FWH
  • 15g Centennial / 15g Cascade@ 8m
  • 30g Cascade@WP
  • 11g Nottingham rehydrated
  • ABV: 4.7%
  • IBU/EBC 32/31

This brew will be clarified with Polyclar so I can post a photo which could be mistaken for an @Otto Von Blotto product. 😉😎

Results in 5 weeks. Cheers

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 6/30/2019 at 9:26 AM, Navigator said:

Well I just put down 2 more brews yesterday in Fv1 I have done an Irish stout 23 Ltr with vinalla essence and ditched the coopers yeast for a safale s-04. 

And in Fv2 I have done my first tea hopped brew, its Australian pale ale with 25grm citra and 25 grm Galaxy, also switched the coopers yeast for saf us-05.

Will be dry hopping on Wednesday probably 25 grms of each again.

Does this sound right to anyone?

Help please

I have my fermenter 2 with saf us-05 yeast in a Australian pale ale with 25grm citra and 25 grm Galaxy, i pitch the yeast at 19 dec , problem i'm having is it has not started to bubble thru the air Lock ( yes I still us the airlock) my stout started bubbling yesterday that was pitched at 19 dec as well, does the hops make a diffrence in fermantation?? i put them both down about 2pm Saturday.

Edited by Navigator

10 minutes ago, Navigator said:

Help please

I have my fermenter 2 with saf us-05 yeast in a Australian pale ale with 25grm citra and 25 grm Galaxy, i pitch the yeast at 19 dec , problem i'm having is it has not started to bubble thru the air Lock ( yes I still us the airlock) my stout started bubbling yesterday that was pitched at 19 dec as well, does the hops make a diffrence in fermantation?? i put them both down about 2pm Saturday.

As popo said check the top of the brew. If you see foam then your sweet. Not surprised the S04 took off quicker either.  It will beat US05 in fermentation speed any day of the week.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Popo said:

I wouldn't be too worried. Bubbling from the airlock can be unreliable as a sign of fermentation.  Are there any other signs of fermentation like krausen or condensation on the lid? Have you checked the gravity with a hydrometer?

Theres a little condensation on the lid, no I haven't taken a hydrometer reading

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 6:23 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

What the!!! Looks like you baked a cake there Ben

He's lost his mind!

It looks like some weird apple dunking comp his kids asked him to do during his brew day, & Ben's just gone,...."OK, I can do this". 

🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Haha 2

Remember these three words and you will find brewing a lot less stressful: ignore the airlock. 😎

Condensation inside the lid is a good sign. Sometimes a brew won't produce a big krausen, but check the SG anyway. That is the best way to confirm what's going on in there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1