Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

Brewed Zombie Dust today

4.7 Pale Ale Malt, 700gm Munich Light, 200gm Caramel 150, 

30gm Citra 60 min boil, 30gm 10 min boil, 75gm 1 min boil. Planning on 75gm dry hop on day 6 fermentation 

Cubed cooling down ready for pitching tomorrow, pre boil 1044, post boil 1049 👍🍺🍻

590F7E00-5068-42A7-B49B-355B85916F39.jpeg

Edited by Spudley
Adding text
  • Like 7

48 minutes ago, Spudley said:

Brewed Zombie Dust today

4.7 Pale Ale Malt, 700gm Munich Light, 200gm Caramel 150, 

30gm Citra 60 min boil, 30gm 10 min boil, 75gm 1 min boil. Planning on 75gm dry hop on day 6 fermentation 

Cubed cooling down ready for pitching tomorrow, pre boil 1044, post boil 1049 👍🍺🍻

590F7E00-5068-42A7-B49B-355B85916F39.jpeg

Are you brewing inside on the carpet?? 

You must have an understanding partner😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

Are you brewing inside on the carpet?? 

You must have an understanding partner😂

Yep , only when she at work 😂👍🍺 Sun Room industrial carpet, the dog loves the stuff when spilt 😂

• Like 2

I put down the Yorkshire Square, form the coopers recipes. I'm guessing it's a Samuel Smith/Marsden style English ale.

These are my sort of winter beers. I've done a hopgoblin, a ESB bitter and a brown. Sticking with the recipe on this one (except no Brambling X available), as unlike your aussie pales, the malt is the hero, not the hops, so not going to bugger around with the ingredients. I did that with the hopgoblin - ended up with a good beer, but probably could be better with the amber malt, which I left out.

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Like 3

AG3 - Sparkling Ale type thing.  Photo-documentary below.. Bags of Malt - Grind (ear protection)… Mash in... retrieve bag... hop boil.... time moves on... roos move in...

And just letting the big rig cool overnight... OG looks ok ?

image.thumb.png.e82140196993414910db9a1ffff14287.png

• Like 5

I used to brew in the kitchen at the old house. Hated it though, mainly because of having to remove the grain bag by hand. Now I have a decent garage area to brew in which is all concrete and has much more room which is nice, along with a useful beam above to use my pulley system for the grain bag.

Any spills are either left there or washed away with a bucket of water, but they're pretty rare now with the pulley system. It's much slower removing the bag so no real disturbance or getting unbalanced and spilling wort down the outside of the urn. The only spills that happen now are usually a few drops when wort sits in the barb of the ball valve after I close it off. 

On the topic of brew days, I'm planning one for Thursday. I took it and Friday off as I'm going to see Venom, Raven and Girlschool on Thursday night. It will be a brown ale, already done the recipe up so I'll post it on brew day itself when I have the computer going. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I used to brew in the kitchen at the old house. Hated it though, mainly because of having to remove the grain bag by hand. Now I have a decent garage area to brew in which is all concrete and has much more room which is nice, along with a useful beam above to use my pulley system for the grain bag.

Any spills are either left there or washed away with a bucket of water, but they're pretty rare now with the pulley system. It's much slower removing the bag so no real disturbance or getting unbalanced and spilling wort down the outside of the urn. The only spills that happen now are usually a few drops when wort sits in the barb of the ball valve after I close it off. 

Cheers Kelsey - your system was the inspiration for my 'Bag Removal Machine'... makes such a huge difference.... so thanks for that mate - and all those who contribute on this site - all the good input on this site has really made things possible for me to move to AG.

Thanks also Kelsey for the Lager Temp Regime - and John P911 for that first basic AG recipe/program which helped me kick things off on the first run!

• Like 3

And bottled my AG2... my very first AG Lager attempt... I did a Bulk Prime - and followed the rate as what came out of Ian's spready - am a little worried that it might result in UNDER-priming compared to the dosage one gets with two Coopers Carb Drops per 750ml bottle.... anyone got any ideas?

What is great though with Bulk Prime is that it causes no problems with respect to bottle sizes so have got a few swingers on the go this time... hopefully the dosage in Ian's spready is not too low...?   But I certainly understand why brewers go to kegging!  😋

image.thumb.png.c16b747ea59ef94cc129c384e391763a.png

• Like 2

Tai-iti  Gold

Yet another NZ Golden Ale.   A 60/40 partial mash (2.4kg Grain/Coopers Lager Can), Taiheke an Wai-iti hops, fermented with MJ M36 English Ale Yeast.

I like the style and conveniently, so does the rest of the household!  

Tai-iti.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Tai-iti  Gold

Yet another NZ Golden Ale.   A 60/40 partial mash (2.4kg Grain/Coopers Lager Can), Taiheke an Wai-iti hops, fermented with MJ M36 English Ale Yeast.

I like the style and conveniently, so does the rest of the household!  

Noice!!

So what grain do you use in your partial BS?

And what temp do you ferment at with your festive English Ale Yeast may I ask?

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:37 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

So it has been a big weekend... AG3 Ale brewing yesterday cooled overnight which is now in the fermenter:

image.png.a9e5407fdf081b180270219fcb62b198.png

… was a little sad this morning as not a lot of action after pitching my US-05 yesterday arvo... but there it was... that lovely constant burbling bubble when I got home after work this evening..

Woooohoooo!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Noice!!

So what grain do you use in your partial BS?

And what temp do you ferment at with your festive English Ale Yeast may I ask?

I did actually post the recipe over in "What's in your fermenter" but here it is again for your convenience!  😁

Tai-iti Gold

• 1.7kg Coopers OS Lager
  • 2.0kg GF Pilsner Malt
  • 200g GF Wheat Malt
  • 200g GF Toffee Malt
  • 25g Taiheke Hops @ 15mins
  • 25g Wai-iti Hops @ 2mins 
  • 10g Gypsum
  • MJ M36 Liberty Bell Yeast

| OG=1.044 | EBC=7.8 | IBU=27 | ABV=4.8% |

Now happily fermenting away @19ºC  

• Thanks 1

Recipe: LemonSim Session IPA
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 17.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 48.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          93.0 %        2.61 L        
0.25 kg          Crystal Rye Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (157.6 EBC)    Grain         2          5.8 %         0.16 L        
0.05 kg          Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (482.6 EBC)            Grain         3          1.2 %         0.03 L        
10.00 g          Simcoe [13.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min           Hop           4          16.5 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Lemondrop [5.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min   Hop           5          9.0 IBUs      -             
50.00 g          Simcoe [13.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           6          22.7 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Liberty Bell Ale (Mangrove Jack's #M36)          Yeast         7          -             -             
50.00 g          Lemondrop [5.20 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days            Hop           8          0.0 IBUs      -             
50.00 g          Simcoe [13.20 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days              Hop           9          0.0 IBUs      -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No had the XPA but figured I'd try the hops in a simple grain bill.

• Like 4

Brew day today, got today and tomorrow off work so why not. Revisiting my brown/dark ale from last year with a couple of small changes to the water profile and the hops. Just gotta go get the strike water ready and heating up. It's based on the old northern English brown style, not strictly to it but I enjoyed last year's couple of batches so I'm keen to get it on tap again. Beersmith predicts mash pH to be 5.36, but I will measure it to compare.

25 litres, 75% brewhouse efficiency,

Water and Treatment
36.00 L Distilled Water Water 1 - -
8.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
4.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash) Water Agent 3 - -
3.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash) Water Agent 4 - -
2.00 g Chalk (Mash) Water Agent 5 - -
1.00 g Salt (Mash) Water Agent 6 - -

Grains
4.000 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 7 82.5 % 2.61 L
0.400 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 8 8.2 % 0.26 L
0.200 kg Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1100.0 EBC) Grain 9 4.1 % 0.13 L
0.200 kg Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (150.0 EBC) Grain 10 4.1 % 0.13 L
0.050 kg Roasted Barley (Thomas Fawcett) (1350.0 EBC) Grain 11 1.0 % 0.03 L
Mash at 66C for 70 minutes, 72C for 15, 78C mashout

Hops
20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 12 19.6 IBUs -
30.00 g Cascade [6.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 13 14.9 IBUs -
75 minute boil

Yeast
West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469) from starter. Ferment at 18/19 degrees.

The Numbers
Est Original Gravity: 1.0456 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.0126 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.3 %
Bitterness: 34.6 IBUs
Est Color: 43.7 EBC

• Like 8

Recipe: Iced Vovo Stout
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Tropical Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 76.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 37.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          69.6 %        2.61 L        
0.75 kg          Brown Malt (128.1 EBC)                           Grain         2          13.0 %        0.49 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         3          4.3 %         0.16 L        
0.25 kg          Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (482.6 EBC)            Grain         4          4.3 %         0.16 L        
0.25 kg          Crystal Rye Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (157.6 EBC)    Grain         5          4.3 %         0.16 L        
0.25 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         6          4.3 %         0.16 L        
25.00 g          Simcoe [13.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min           Hop           7          37.2 IBUs     -             
250.00 g         Marshmallows (Boil)                              Flavor        8          -             -             
1.0 pkg          Liberty Bell Ale (Mangrove Jack's #M36)          Yeast         9          -             -             
500.00 g         Coconut (Secondary)                              Flavor        10         -             -             
1.00 kg          Raspberry (Secondary)                            Other         11         -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Thinking I might just go the raspberry and coconut... leave the marshmallows.....

I guess it’s only sugar and vanilla 

Or garnish the beer with a couple of marshmallows 

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Haha 1