Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2019

ben 10

Put down and AG Pale Ale today to clear the brain a bit.

Brew day went pretty well. I wish I could fit the images into where they fit through the story.

I probably need to actually calculate my boil off rate. Guessed it at 3l per hour, but ended up 2l under volume and about 10 points high. I tested my pre boil gravity spot on.

Colour looks spot on. Got the sample sitting besides a Coopers XPA in the glass and the brew calculated at 17.1 EBC. 

It amazes me how easy beer really is to make.

AE13DA89-9932-4901-8C1B-DA34C28BCC93.jpeg

12A08046-897A-428C-A647-A8740F1EED72.jpeg

6A295ADE-637A-4E81-8211-DA2180E7724A.jpeg

8986E04D-B145-473C-AF38-7AD06BDD2ADB.png

814ED32B-3A4D-4DB8-AE09-F6CCBB20CA4D.png

50058026-DB63-4C33-AC9C-562650BABD0E.jpeg

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

It amazes me how easy beer really is to make.

Gotta agree @NewBrews

Love ya work on the Big W pot.

I did think you had a magical heating trestle table until I saw the electrical cable snaking over the edge of the table in the back of the vision.  Added an element too, hey.  All you need now is a temperature well.

Love the Chinese safety boots too.

Cheers Shamus

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Love ya work on the Big W pot.

Yeah thanks SoS!. The 2200w element is a bit hot sometimes, not sure if it’s one I can turn the power down on though. Works well with the inkbird to get it to mash temp. Been thinking of a thermowell as the next add on.

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Chinese safety boots too.

Brewing uniform?

Edited by NewBrews
  • Like 1

You say your pre boil gravity was spot on but what about the volume? In any case, you can calculate boil off over a few batches or do a test boil with water. 

I was gonna brew an English Bitter on Sunday, but my water still crapped itself last night, so I don't have enough water for the full batch. I'll brew my red ale instead since I just use tap water for it, and order another still after pay day. 

• Like 2

Based on the calc that came out of BeerSmith I should have had 14.37 litres at 1.049. I know I went in a little high at about 14.75l (my measuring device was the markings on the side of my 10l jerrycan) but the gravity was spot on 1.049 before the boil. Guesstimating the volume based on the image above before the boil started looks pretty close to the mark.

I thought I allowed 3l per hour boil off rate but just realised it’s only set to 1.89l and trub loss at 1l but it was probably closer to 2. Last time I set it up on the laptop but this is on my phone and it doesn’t seem to copy the equipment profiles over.

After thinking about it some more, I might increase those two values, and consider a sparge after mashing to increase the pre boil volume after I try it out with the first change.

• Like 1

Today it's a Pacific Gold - an NZ Golden Ale,  designed on British Golden Ale specs.  I called it "Pacific" for no other reason than there's some Pacifica hops in the recipe.   It's my usual partial mash approach though this time it's 58% grain and 42% Coopers OS lager.   The mash is made up of an equal mix of GF American Ale Malt and GF Vienna malt with 10% wheat thrown in for good measure!   I've got 50g each of Kohatu and Pacifica hops on hand which is the same combo used in my recent PA.  As the grain is mashing I'm still yet undecided how to best utilise these hops.  I was going to throw the lot in late and go for a real out-of-style hoppy brew. It's actually the same quantity I used in the PA and though that PA is very nice I do feel it could have done with more of these hops, but I'm thinking 100g of these low AA hops could be just about right in this lighter malt base.   Generally I haven't been dry-hopping my Brit Golds, again I don't think it's really in-style, but we'll see!  I have about an hour to decide!  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

3538-PC Leuven Pale Ale

Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Belgian Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 22.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Coopers Premium Ale (5.9 EBC)                    Grain         1          74.5 %        2.28 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         2          21.3 %        0.65 L        
0.20 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         3          4.3 %         0.13 L        
50.00 g          Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           4          25.3 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        5          -             -             
30.00 g          Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20. Hop           6          4.6 IBUs      -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 4

3822-PC Belgian Dark Ale

Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.085 SG
Estimated Color: 43.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.6 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         1          53.7 %        2.61 L        
3.00 kg          Coopers Premium Ale (5.9 EBC)                    Grain         2          40.3 %        1.96 L        
0.45 kg          Candi Sugar, Dark [Boil] (541.8 EBC)             Sugar         3          6.0 %         0.32 L        
75.00 g          Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           4          29.6 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        5          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 2

Brew day today. 🙂

Dogfish Pale Ale:

Coopers Liquid Light Malt extract 1.5kg
Coopers Light Dry Malt extract 1kg
Dextrose 150gms
CaraBohemian grain 200gms steeped
Bravo 10gms @ 60mins
Cascade 5gms @ 35, 30, 20, 15, 5
Nelson Sauvin 5gms @ 25, 10
Nelson Sauvin 20gms @ flameout
Citra 20gms, Nelson Sauvin 20gms, Amarillo 20gms dry hopped
Rehydrated US-05 yeast
Brewed to 21 litres
OG = approx. 1.045, FG = approx. 1.011
Kegged ABV = 4.5%
EBC = 16.2. IBU = 37.5

Nothing super special malt wise, but the hop schedule is loosely modelled on the Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA premise of small regular additions throughout a longish boil. I would have done the full intervals but was a little short on Cascade & this is a bit of a cleanup brew anyways. I will give the full Dogfish interval a go one day. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 8

On 9/20/2019 at 11:35 AM, The Captain!! said:

Just another pale. 

Ive always wanted to try a centennial and Amarillo hopped pale so today is the day

Use the CCA yeast in this brew & ferment it a little warmer, & it makes for an awesome Summer beer elevated to another level. 😎

Still looks nice with the clean American ale strain though. 👍

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

That's generally what acid malt is used for 😜

I brewed my red ale today. Mash pH was 5.68 so I'll probably have to add more acid malt next time, even just to get it down to 5.5. Mash efficiency was down compared to normal. Still, other than the fkn safety switch tripping a couple of times during the boil for some reason, the brew day went well. 

• Thanks 1