Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Shark Fin Summer Ale from a Grolsch Magnum bottle

IMG_1278.thumb.JPG.87f62ac6e15f380fdc637fee044cf973.JPG

Wow.

Beautiful Beautiful. 

What a great looking beer - in a 'sustainable no waste bottle' - and what a cooooool photo!

LUVYERWORK SOS!!!

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:20 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

I believe it is as per the "Campaign for Real Ale" in the UK...   was a big thing when I was over there years ago... going back to basics... hand pumped... cellar temperature...  So I guess modelled on good quality British Real Ale...  Burton-on-Trent style... harder water... ale malt... ale yeast... ABV usually in the 4s... quite malty... but I am sure there are loadsa people more qualified than me to answer this question.  There are so many different "Real Ales" in England alone... dunno… maybe this Coops Kit with a reasonable amount of kilo added might come out somewhere near London Pride which runs out at 4.7%.  Not really sure whether that helps much or not ; )

The Campaign for Real Ale is an independent voluntary consumer organisation headquartered in St Albans, England, which promotes real ale, real cider and the traditional British pub...

@PB2

Dearest PB2, can you possibly shed some light on why the Coopers Real Ale kit is named such and whether it was a 'beer style' or quite what was being aimed at... even maybe ask the Brewmaster Designers who came up with it.  I had a crack at explaining my take on it (having been a happy brewer of it in the past) but am not sure it has quite cleared things up adequately.

Your help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

BB2

On 7/19/2019 at 7:47 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Greeny they both look de-lish… but that Belgian Dark and Strong looks truly amazing... share a recipe perchance cobbler?

I have used different hops (all noble types) for the 10 min addition. It doesn't really make much difference though as this is a malt driven and yeast driven beer anyway. The amber sugar component is an inverted sugar of 500gm dark sugar and 500gm normal white. I use mostly WY1214 yeast but westmalle and rochefort will give great results too. Pitch at 18c a starter to 0.75 million per degree of plato. Once you see krausen raise it 1c per day to 24 then hold till done. I carb to 3.5 volumes for this one. That will give the long lasting cappuccino type head. I use asahi and coopers longnecks as they are built stronger than the others. I only ocassionally keg one of these and if i do i naturally carb it rather than force carb.

Screenshot_2019-07-21-11-29-49.png

Screenshot_2019-07-21-11-31-23.png

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I have used different hops (all noble types) for the 10 min addition. It doesn't really make much difference though as this is a malt driven and yeast driven beer anyway. The amber sugar component is an inverted sugar of 500gm dark sugar and 500gm normal white. I use mostly WY1214 yeast but westmalle and rochefort will give great results too. Pitch at 18c a starter to 0.75 million per degree of plato. Once you see krausen raise it 1c per day to 24 then hold till done. I carb to 3.5 volumes for this one. That will give the long lasting cappuccino type head. I use asahi and coopers longnecks as they are built stronger than the others. I only ocassionally keg one of these and if i do i naturally carb it rather than force carb.

Gold. Thanks Greeny. An amazing brew. Great stuff.

And thanks for the detailed feedback - most appreciated.

And yes I am a big fan of the Coopers Largies… they are built for the job.

Cheers mate. BB

7 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

PB2, can you possibly shed some light on why the Coopers Real Ale kit is named such and whether it was a 'beer style' or quite what was being aimed at... even maybe ask the Brewmaster Designers who came up with it. 

In 1982, then Managing Director, Bill Cooper signed a deal to export bottled Sparkling Ale, Stout and Lager to the USA.  However,  Sparkling Ale was labelled "Real Ale" for this market.

From what I know, the Original Series brew cans were launched for the domestic market and also with the view of potentially exporting to other countries, including the USA.  It follows that the range included "Real Ale" so that the Americans got it!  I think Tim Cooper had a hand in developing the Original Series, which then consisted of Lager, Draught, Real Ale, Bitter, Dark Ale and Stout but the Real Ale and Stout were existing recipes from when the product was known as Coopers Brewer's Own (developed by Maxwell Cooper, RIP).  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, PB2 said:

In 1982, then Managing Director, Bill Cooper signed a deal to export bottled Sparkling Ale, Stout and Lager to the USA.  However,  Sparkling Ale was labelled "Real Ale" for this market.

So is the Real Ale mean to be a version of the Sparkling? If it is, that suggests it wouldn't work as a base for the beers we were thinking about - ie Fuller's English style ales.

On 7/19/2019 at 9:24 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Well you will be able to advise me how WRONG I was 😝

Problem I have got is that I brewed the Coops Real Ales ages ago... and liked it a lot... and drank the London Pride more recently... and liked it a lot... so whether my memory was right or not!?!

Thing is Gazz… you'll be able to advise us all on how to tune the Real Ale Kit with some adjuncts to get it closer to London Pride then mate !?!

Reckon you would need at least 1.4kg of Dry Malt... but the business would be to get 1.5kg of Liquid Malt to add.. maybe 0.2kg of LDME...  Ian's Spready says that gets you to 4.8% in the bottle which is pretty close.

And I don't reckon you would need any hopping - let the malt do the talking - and the Real Ale Kit will have the appropriate hopping anyway.

Using the liquid malt would provide so much better creamy mouth feel and head retention... 

If you have a crack let us know!!!

I’ll have a crack BB - and if it turns out nice I’ll name it The BURBLER and send you a sampler! 👍😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gazzala said:

I’ll have a crack BB - and if it turns out nice I’ll name it The BURBLER and send you a sampler! 👍😀

Yeeeehaaa!!!  I reckon you will have a great chance at making a great beer with the 1.5kg extra liquid malt Gazz. Sneak in that extra 250g of dry malt and you are on track ; )

Temp control at 18 deg C and some nice ale yeast... reasonable quality water...  Wooohooo.  No looking back.  Cheers Gazz. BB

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

So is the Real Ale mean to be a version of the Sparkling? If it is, that suggests it wouldn't work as a base for the beers we were thinking about - ie Fuller's English style ales.

The history is interesting.  All of my memory of the Coopers Real Ale Kit outcomes was not that it tasted that much like Coopers Sparkling but more like a Midlands Real Ale/Landon Pride-ish Real Ale.   

Maybe I was dreamin' ?

image.png.6cd4c15eb4a193d41ee75ee2a99429f3.png

• Like 1

Unless I can think of anything better by the time my fridge has finished bottle conditioning duties, I'll give this a go. Real, Liq malt and 500 LDM. If for no other reason,  the Yorkshire and Scotch ales I did with liquid malt promise to be pretty good.

The Scotch particularly had no other enhancement in the way of grain and hops, and bottling sample is promising as a reasonably complex and malty beer. It could just be these sorts of beers suit my tastes. I get tired of hoppy pales fairly easily.

In the meantime, I'll grab a london pride and 1845 as a benchmark.

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

The history is interesting.  All of my memory of the Coopers Real Ale Kit outcomes was not that it tasted that much like Coopers Sparkling but more like a Midlands Real Ale/Landon Pride-ish Real Ale.   

Maybe I was dreamin' ?

image.png.6cd4c15eb4a193d41ee75ee2a99429f3.png

I’m from the Midlands BB so if I can make a Midlands Real Ale from the Real Ale kit I’ll be very happy... 😀

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

Unless I can think of anything better by the time my fridge has finished bottle conditioning duties, I'll give this a go. Real, Liq malt and 500 LDM. If for no other reason,  the Yorkshire and Scotch ales I did with liquid malt promise to be pretty good.

The Scotch particularly had no other enhancement in the way of grain and hops, and bottling sample is promising as a reasonably complex and malty beer. It could just be these sorts of beers suit my tastes. I get tired of hoppy pales fairly easily.

I’ve got at least one brew before doing the Real Ale, Lab Rat, so will be interested to hear how yours goes if you make it.

1 hour ago, Lab Rat said:

So is the Real Ale mean to be a version of the Sparkling?

Not at all.  The term "Real Ale" was used because our American friends already identified with it as Coopers. 

13 minutes ago, PB2 said:

Not at all.  The term "Real Ale" was used because our American friends already identified with it as Coopers. 

Thanks I got that bit, but what style is the Real DIY aiming for?

On 7/20/2019 at 1:42 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Looks nice MB.  I do like Wheaties but am not big on the Fruity thing.  Each punter to their own race I say 😜

But it does look the business.  Great work.

However, there is another important question - did you savour any lovely brews in Germany that were of special note?

Thanks mate. Yeah I’m not a fruity guy either but thought what the heck. Tastes and feels good so no complaints. 

Many a beer were had in Germany. I was definitely a fan of the more regional beers on the south. Although some of the bigger local brews in Frankfurt and Berlin trump any of our mass produced swill we get in Aus. Definitely had my share of unfiltered pils also. Too good.  If you can be bothered, in the today’s tastings thread in the beer banter forum, I posted a number of my sampling’s along the way. 

Cheers!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

APA... thought it was going to be arse but is really nice. Solid grapefruit flavour.

Pale, Crystal Rye, Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade. 53IBU, 6.5%

PERFECT.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190722160330308_COVER.thumb.jpg.7e33647221314099c2fdcdcabf2f6161.jpg

Looks really nice.

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

APA... thought it was going to be arse but is really nice. Solid grapefruit flavour.

Pale, Crystal Rye, Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade. 53IBU, 6.5%

PERFECT.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190722160330308_COVER.thumb.jpg.7e33647221314099c2fdcdcabf2f6161.jpg

Why did you think it was going to be arse?? 

Malt and hop combination sounds delicious and it looks great?? 

Was it something in the brew day??

• Haha 1