Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

Currently enjoying a few glasses of a beer I kegged earlier today. It was an experimental beer that I had hoped to enter in the MOTB comp but I feel one of the hops I used in a part of the production of the beer has adversely affected the final flavour when drinking. The hop impacts on an important area of the beer in this category. A very hard category to win these days, so you have to have everything spot on.

Still very green & aspects will improve in the bottle over the next 3-4 weeks, but not enough for what I hoped to present, so likely won't be entering it.

It's a nice beer, the first schooner pour from the keg didn't last a minute in the glass. I just have very high standards of myself in this category of beer.

Sorta p!$$@d at myself for not thinking it through enough.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Sad 2

It's not the end of the world. It's still really nice to drink, & won't last long.

Que sera, sera. 

Maybe it's God's way of saying I shouldn't share the final desired recipe with anyone? Hahaha! 🤔 😜 🤣

I've already thought out the fixer for it. 😉

Cheers & good brewing guys,

Lusty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

near the end of my Enigma Pale keg.... such a yummy beer

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190701210456594_COVER.thumb.jpg.43f05b200fe0bd941769ad37b8cd287e.jpg

Nice looking ale! What flavours and aromas are you getting from the enigma hops? I have never used them.

Cheers

Norris

8 hours ago, Norris! said:

I have never used them.

Really nice well balanced fruitiness. The bitterness is solid but not at all harsh considering the high cohumulone level. Some melon perhaps? Plays well with Galaxy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pulled another Doppelbock out of the back of the cupboard. Went down well on Sunday afternoon cooking a bunch of meat on my little kettle BBQ.

I know sometimes high abv beers can have poor head retention but not this one - dense foam right the way to the bottom. Tastes so good, I'm going to have to brew another one before winter is out.

Cheers, 

John 

DSC_0148.JPG

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

So you have a recipe?

Mate, do I ever! 

4kg Munich, 2.5kg Pils

Single infusion no-sparge mash, 24l strike water (cold) giving 16.5l 1.068 SG pre-boil wort 

60 min boil giving 14l 1.080 SG post-boil wort 

11l fermenter volume

30g Aramis (5.6% AA) at FWH - Tinseth says 27 IBU

Fermented at 12C with a big pitch of Coopers Ale / lager kit yeast slurry

Bottled into 500ml glass with 1 Coopers carb drop. 

Aged for 13 / 14 months now. Takes a while for it to come into balance as the carb levels get right and everything melds.

Also seems to help if you do a second partigyle brew on the same night and sleep at 1am before waking up at 5:30 for work.

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Cheers Ben and John. Sounds like a nice tasty hop. I might try it out by itself first and then mix it up with some other hops.

On a side note, is it cheating to make a brew with mosaic and citra? Like how can that beer NOT taste good?  Just a random thought.

Posted this beer the other day just wanted to show off my new glass it’s a the Pale Ale with Orange and Coriander hopped with Cascade, wife likes👍 also which is a bonus and she now won’t drink commercial 🍺 anymore only mine 🤣🥳🥳 Second photo is Pirate Life Inspired Pale Ale

CF3CFB1B-CD05-4048-944F-74E196C43AA0.jpeg

4E277F34-E51C-4E84-89AA-C7E7F431A9A9.jpeg

• Like 10

45 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

That’s awesome news @RDT2 my wife has had a similar epiphany. Good stuff on the brews, they do look sensational.!

Cheers @captain I really am enjoying the AG process and tasting the beers. I also had a mate from England tonight try my English bitter he said he felt like he was home 🤣 I think that’s a compliment 😬. One of my dad’s mates spilt some of my Brown Porter and the dog was lapping  it  up so even the 🐶 likes my beer 🍺 

Now I want to make a Angel City IPA clone from America which I loved so will have to do some research and planning.

• Like 3

Raining today so while labeling my carbonated Blueberry Pine Session Mead I am drinking Devil's Whole Ruby Red Toucan Porter that is going to be the Christmas beer. I like it alot.  I can taste some yeast but otherwise it is very nice.  The big bitterness comes afterwards so it's still like dark ale while drinking.   

1700950419_DevilsWholeRubyRedPorterToucan20190704.thumb.jpg.c2748d76d65c66a821a4974df50fae45.jpg

Edited by der kleine Drache
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, The Captain!! said:

Stunning colour and clarity @BlackSands!!!

Yeah, the colour came out spot on IMO.  In fact the photo pushed the colour a bit more toward orange but here, in my hand (3rd glass!!  😍) the beer is a deep rich red hue quite like a ruby red port.  Couldn't get any redder if you tried I reckon.   As for the taste... see my comment in brackets above.   😜

• Like 3