Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

23 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Thanks mate. Yeah I’m not a fruity guy either but thought what the heck. Tastes and feels good so no complaints. 

Many a beer were had in Germany. I was definitely a fan of the more regional beers on the south. Although some of the bigger local brews in Frankfurt and Berlin trump any of our mass produced swill we get in Aus. Definitely had my share of unfiltered pils also. Too good.  If you can be bothered, in the today’s tastings thread in the beer banter forum, I posted a number of my sampling’s along the way. 

Cheers!

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh I shall have to chase that up - I have only been following a few threads - and this gives me a very good excuse to gallop over to have a look through those... Looking forward to it... thanks MB.  And glad you had a good time over there - it is a good place for those of us who like a good beer.  Cheers. BB

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:39 PM, Gazzala said:

I’m from the Midlands BB so if I can make a Midlands Real Ale from the Real Ale kit I’ll be very happy... 😀

Well at least my memory got it somewhere right from what @PB2 kindly pointed out...  maybe I wasn't dreamin' after all 😝

image.png.19f7fad4cc8a91213586edb7405264d7.png

Come what may - I think that the Coops RA will be a very good base to tune a Midlands type Real Ale off...  esp with liq malt - and maybe later even a partial mash?

Have you ever had Arkells Noel?    Had some on the Isle of Wight once... was a ripper drop!

23 hours ago, PB2 said:

Real Ale was based on our first homebrew kit, Brewers Own Ale, launched in October 1977.  No style as such, just an ale amongst a world of Lagers. 😁

Thanks @PB2 I always thought it was supposed taste like a cask conditioned English Bitter, but the bitterness is too high for an English Bitter. Your history lesson explains a lot: it is not an English Bitter.

Now can you please explain why the English Bitter kit has such high IBUs? When made as directed, with 500gm of dry malt extract, to 23L, with the kit yeast, the BU:GU is way out of style for an English Bitter. Only if made with 1kg of dry malt extract, or 1.5kg of liquid malt extract, and assuming a 30% loss in bitterness during fermentation, which is on the high end of the range, is the BU:GU in the ballpark. If one assumes a more moderate 20% or 10% loss in bitterness during fermentation, the BU:GU is out of style, even using 1.5kg of LME. I have always been confused by this. 

Cheers,

Christina.

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2019 at 6:59 AM, Bearded Burbler said:

The history is interesting.  All of my memory of the Coopers Real Ale Kit outcomes was not that it tasted that much like Coopers Sparkling but more like a Midlands Real Ale/Landon Pride-ish Real Ale.   

Maybe I was dreamin' ?

image.png.6cd4c15eb4a193d41ee75ee2a99429f3.png

I think you were dreaming. It doesn't taste anything like London Pride. 

Cheers,

Christina.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Not at the Dirty Old KA?

= The Kings Arms (Corner of Holywell and Parks Road)

Wig &Pen.  They initially poured me an IPA and I got cider!  Later, stepson ordered golden ale and also got cider.  Something seriously screwed up with their beer lines!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

I think you were dreaming. It doesn't taste anything like London Pride. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Mmm I think my past Coops RAs with a few adjuncts were much closer to London Pride say than to Coops Sparkling Ale... 

And it was a wee while ago...

Well Christina - you may be right - but can you possibly indicate an English Ale that might be close to the Coops Real Ale Kit + 1.5kg of Liquid Malt + 250g LDME  no Hops + good water + 18 deg C + good hygienic brewing conditions and excellent secondary fermentation?

Oooops I wrote the above and then I seem to see you thinks it don't taste like English Bitter at all...

So this is an Addendum:

MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm maybe it tastes a bit like London Pride that the pisssed LP Brewer dumped in a swag of extra spare IBUs then? 😜

Edited by Bearded Burbler

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:39 PM, Gazzala said:

I’m from the Midlands BB so if I can make a Midlands Real Ale from the Real Ale kit I’ll be very happy... 😀

Mate Christina would suggest I have been dreamin' for a  long time...

So maybe it will taste like a good old RA from somewhere near where we were discussing... with a swag of extra hops thrown in...

What a festive Coopers Aussie Brewer thought an RA should taste like... and after being over there and drinking Pub RA after playing Rugby or drinking my RA they all seemed pretty similar 😋

Or maybe my IBU discernment was up to carrrppp and all I was, was very thirsty and in need of an Ale!

Gazz - mate - you will just have to brew up, brew on, and report back your findings on a Coops RA Brewing Discovery Expedition!

One thing I think is fairly true Gazz - you are certainly better off starting with a Coopers RA rather than a Coopers Lager or a Mexican Cerveja 👹

16 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

No idea Christina but when I made that kit I didn't find it overly bitter. I thought it was well balanced and similar to some commercial versions of the style that I've tasted. 

Phew.

Maybe I don't have Alzheimers after all ?  😋

Or what Coopers have been sending to Christina to use is different to ours?

37 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Now can you please explain why the English Bitter kit has such high IBUs?

Yep, 620 IBU which calculates down to around 32IBU when allowing for 30% loss through fermentation.  It also carries a dose of Styrian Golding pure hop aroma.  😋

I was inspired by Adnams Bitter - a bottled midstrength sold in Australia at the time.  When made with 500g of LDM, I always felt that it got quite close to this commercial brand. 

And yes, many brewers like to use 1kg of LDM with this brew can - good choice! 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PB2 said:

Yep, 620 IBU which calculates down to around 32IBU when allowing for 30% loss through fermentation.  It also carries a dose of Styrian Golding pure hop aroma.  😋

I was inspired by Adnams Bitter - a bottled midstrength sold in Australia at the time.  When made with 500g of LDM, I always felt that it got quite close to this commercial brand. 

And yes, many brewers like to use 1kg of LDM with this brew can - good choice! 👍

And I was not that expert on IBUs back when I brewed the old RA... but whether akin to English Real Ale or not... I always found it a slurpable brew!

Great to see that there is still some keen interest around it PB2 and thanks for clarifying things for us  : )

• Like 1