Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

16 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

After a nice stroll on the beach , it’s good to crack open a home made brew. The Mosaic Citra IPA.  She’s almost three weeks in the bottles now and she’s tasting the goods. Green taste is gone. I shouldn’t have given into my urges. She’s a beaut. It’s 7% so maybe that’s double IPA territory?

anyway slainte ( cheers) 

F9030AE8-BA5B-429F-A83C-8FFC65E3B2D9.jpeg

7A62AFCD-49AB-44A2-9D83-89960ADED377.jpeg

Gold Paddy. Pure Gold.

Nice work all up - the colour of the sea cannot be beaten in whatever weather you find it... byardiful.

And well done on the brew - looks the business - and has a bit of oooooomph as well.  Great stuff.

Go the AG good thing!

22 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Spot the difference. One is my pilsner and the other is the real Urquell. Both taste very similar to each other, the real one probably a little stronger in flavour but both beers are almost the same. Could be a difference in yeast strains as this batch used 2278 rather than 2001 that I'd used last time I did one of these. Colour and clarity obviously pretty much the same. Still happy with how mine turns out each batch so I probably won't really change anything about it. 

Especially awesome. Brewing a Urquell-alike is my brewing grail. Now, how to do that with kits and bits. Track down the Urguell yeast?

51 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

Especially awesome. Brewing a Urquell-alike is my brewing grail. Now, how to do that with kits and bits. Track down the Urguell yeast?

Difficult to do with kits and bits. Try to source some pilsner liquid malt and do a stove top boil with all saaz hops. That would get you close.

Edited by Greeny1525229549
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Difficult to do with kits and bits. Try to source some pilsner liquid malt and do a stove top boil with all saaz hops. That would get you close.

I know, it's probably expecting too much. I'd like to get closer than I have so far. both my Saaz Pils have been ok, but not even in the PU ballpark. Thought the yeast might help.

I think the yeast would go some way to getting closer to it for sure. I never did this recipe with W34/70 but I did do it with the Budvar yeast a few times and it wasn't as close as it was with 2001 Urquell or the other Urquell strain I'm currently using, 2278. I'd be interested to see what would happen if I blended both 2001 and 2278 together. 

Also agree with pilsner extract and Saaz hopping. It's really a product of combining those three ingredients. Harder to get close to it if one or more of them is missing. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Wow Kelsey - what a great job - pure Gold... and the colour too 😜

Recipe?

BTW I am going the commercial bottle version on the Right... maybe let's get a few more votes in before you reveal?

The recipe is listed a number of times in the brew day thread, and I'll post it again soon as I'll be brewing another batch when my hops arrive. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Side-by-side taste test:  My all grain Little Creatures Pale Ale clone versus the commercial version

Different hop aroma.  Mine has Cascade and Galaxy, their's says Cascade and Chinook

Taste very similar, mine is just a bit sweeter

IMG_1281.thumb.JPG.d7e3bd0e700e6b3f093b8fb9e96bfdb3.JPG

I brewed a pale ale years ago with Cascade and Chinook, took it to a wedding and someone said it tasted like little creatures pale ale. At the time I didn't even know those were the hops in it. When I found out it made more sense why he said that 😆

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The recipe is listed a number of times in the brew day thread, and I'll post it again soon as I'll be brewing another batch when my hops arrive. 

Ta, can you suggest what yeast to try - the last one you linked is a limited release and probably won't be around when I need it.

54 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Thanks mate - search for "Urquell Pilsener" or ?

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Side-by-side taste test:  My all grain Little Creatures Pale Ale clone versus the commercial version

Different hop aroma.  Mine has Cascade and Galaxy, their's says Cascade and Chinook

Taste very similar, mine is just a bit sweeter

IMG_1281.thumb.JPG.d7e3bd0e700e6b3f093b8fb9e96bfdb3.JPG

Nice one Shamus!

8 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I probably called it Bohemian pilsner or Czech pilsner.

Gotcha - thanks mate.

And did you use your standard lager temp protocol (with the step down cooling for clean-up in increments of 2.2-2.3 degC) or this one you suggested in 2015?

I will be trying out the Brulosopher's quick lager method.

Will start fermentation at my usual 11.5C, and when the brew has got to about 50% attenuated (no less than this), I will turn the temp controller up to 19C and let it rise by itself, and leave it at 19 until fermentation has finished. After this I'll drop the controller to 0C, and keep it there for about 1.5/2 weeks, adding gelatin a couple of days before bottling to try and get better clarity in the final beer.

The first one, slow ramp down. I find it produces a better beer than the quick drop. The first part is the same though, ferment temp til the SG gets to the low 1.020s (mine usually start around 1.048-50), then up to 18. A few days after FG is reached, it's dropped to 12, then the next day the small increments start, 2.2/2.3 each day until it hits 3, then it sits at 3 for 1.5-2 weeks.

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The first one, slow ramp down. I find it produces a better beer than the quick drop. The first part is the same though, ferment temp til the SG gets to the low 1.020s (mine usually start around 1.048-50), then up to 18. A few days after FG is reached, it's dropped to 12, then the next day the small increments start, 2.2/2.3 each day until it hits 3, then it sits at 3 for 1.5-2 weeks.

Gold. Thanks. That is what the current two AG cool temp brews are going through.  One at the 3degC finish and the other coming down to twelve before the incremental drop.

I may have to shorten up the 3 degC for 1.5-2 weeks at the end prior to bottling.

Is that likely to be detrimental Kelsey?

Am supposed to be having a night off the grogs but after a good walk decided a beer would be nice... but am imposing penance of drinking backlog of KnK… here the very nice full malt (added plenty of light dry malt in the kilo department) some extra Hallertau as hop tea and Saflager S-23...  Utilised S-23 before I found out that the Brewers on this site recommended otherwise ; )    Seem to have got away with it - is quite a nice refreshing beer.... 

image.thumb.png.89410a300d991bed02a5a63712e870eb.png

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Utilised S-23 before I found out that the Brewers on this site recommended otherwise ; )  

Really? What is the issue with S23?

Beer looks great, as does the other picture.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Really? What is the issue with S23?

Beer looks great, as does the other picture.

Cheers Benny... glad you like the pics mate... as you can see she is a fairly dry old time out in the paddock.  Suspect will be greener up your way.

Oh I had mentioned S-23 in a discussion earlier and the general Site input consensus was against S23.... I think rather the recommendation instead for W34/70... 

Edited by Bearded Burbler

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Gold. Thanks. That is what the current two AG cool temp brews are going through.  One at the 3degC finish and the other coming down to twelve before the incremental drop.

I may have to shorten up the 3 degC for 1.5-2 weeks at the end prior to bottling.

Is that likely to be detrimental Kelsey?

Not detrimental no. If you lager it in the bottles it'll still turn out well. Sometimes I keg them after only a week at 3, but I find if I leave them sit in the kegerator for a month or so then they're just as good. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Depends what you want in a lager i guess. S23 for me had a tinge of fruity "ale" ness which i dont want in a lager. I heard it makes an awesome steam beer which i can see from the way it turns out in a lager. 

Thanks Greeny. Well that brew was a nice KnK Euro Lager Coopers Can w plenty of LDME.  Is nice.  Temp control.  All the good things.

But I am an AG convert now... a new recruit.... and think that if done with good process the AG thing does turn out a better brew (that's my own view).

I have two cool temp brews in FVs at the moment pursuant to Kelsey's recommended temp regime and am looking forward to seeing how they turn out.  Both with W34/70 - one slurry - one dry starter.

Will be interesting to see how they turn out.  Cheers. BB

So finally getting a hold of this Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter fully carbed, bloody sensational beer that will be on the annual rotation. 

Sweet vanilla, alcohol heat, slight coffee, finishes dryish, it’s a really good beer. 

I thought it might be around for a while due to the ABV, well tonight I’ve already had three pints. 

Sensational beer

E94F350F-CFEB-4DA2-8591-DC3748B921AD.jpeg

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 14

A bit early in, only 2 weeks into bottle conditioning. But my galaxy cerveza was something to be seen. Needs portion another week or two for proper carbonation. But hot damn  the hops at the front giving way to light and frunity and vibrant cerveza...

As Borat puts Ty "very niiiice"

01492228-A0D8-4E3F-933D-E2CF59E89B41.jpeg

• Like 12