Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

1 hour ago, NewBrews said:

CO2 is CO2 so I figured the worst that could happen was I tipped a bit out. Or ended up with a massive beer blowout.

Reckon you have done well Newbrews!

My memory of trying to gas up any fluid with a festive C02 Soda Stream apparatus -- other than cold water liquid -- ended up with a foam fest... 

By looks of things you have avoided that nicely.

Might have to try again : )

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 1

So yesterday I tried a beer from Lusty.

Had a really nice hop flavour, had some body but finished dry which I like. Had that classic cascade flavour and was quite spritzy and fresh............... turns out it was his enterprising LAGER. 😲

All that hop flavour definitely masked the lager taste and I actually put that down to being bottle conditioned. 

But there you go people, I did actually enjoy a lager. 

Apologies for the pretty crappy photo, there’s just a fair bit of yeast from the trip over and not left in the fridge long enough. 

651EC7A7-A1E8-48CE-9EA5-B5E9EB6C03A5.jpeg

• Like 10

Yeah I don't remember it being that cloudy, but anyway, I got him!! Hahaha!! 🤣

You have to throw a lot of hop weight at a Bavarian lager yeast fermented beer because you're fighting the malt friendly characteristics of the yeast.

Now to get the shirts printed up... 😜

In all seriousness, I was just glad Capt. liked the flavour of the beer.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, der kleine Drache said:

Preparing dry hop for 2 ales and drinking Woodfordes Wherry. It's wherry good! Slightly over 2 weeks in the bottle and tastes ready for consumption. Easy kit that I got at a sale.  The label is from Tintin, Rackham's Treasure. 

IMG_20190811_170520.jpg

DKD - just gold labels as usual - we have come to expect nothing less other than pure excellence ; )

Luvyerwork

Cheers

BB

• Thanks 1

6687CB67-1FC8-4FCF-93B2-E58F2D1BB6F8.thumb.jpeg.ae11b32628404b41892ea8097449db3e.jpegHi guys just trying my bohemian Pilsner for the first time this beer is amazing it’s 95% Weyermann Pilsner malt and 5% Cara-Pils, I mashed at 66 and did a single decoction mash it was the clearest mash I have done I assume cause the Pilsner malt. I used S23 yeast heard people bagging it but it tastes great. I started it at 18 degrees dropped to 11.5 after 24hrs due to no starter one packet of yeast used. I let it come back to 22 when the fg hit 1018. Left it there till it finished at 1007 and cold crashed for a week used finings but to be honest probably didn’t need it.  I did a 90 minute boil with 60 min bittering addition with perle and then 30min 50g Saaz and 5min again 50g Saaz  for 37IBU. I also used rain water which could be another reason for the clear mash etc Not a big lager fan but this tastes awesome and I haven’t even lagered it yet. Thanks to everyone for the general information on here especially @Otto Von Blotto 🍻.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Nah don’t believe ya!!!!!! Come on....................... it’s a lager, can’t be that good. 

Nah super stoked for ya RDT2. Good looking beer mate

Cheers it’s just so clean and fresh I would be interested to try a IPA or Pale Ale with the rainwater to see if it’s makes a difference for 37ibu it’s very well balanced. Can anyone tell me why you don’t get tannins etc when decoction mashing??

Nice one, glad it turned out well mate. I have another batch planned for Sunday too. 

You could try the pale ale or IPA with rainwater but personally I think these styles are better brewed with water that has some minerals in it. That kind of soft water is excellent for pilsners though. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Cheers it’s just so clean and fresh I would be interested to try a IPA or Pale Ale with the rainwater to see if it’s makes a difference for 37ibu it’s very well balanced. Can anyone tell me why you don’t get tannins etc when decoction mashing??

Yeah, I wouldn’t use it in a pale or ipa either. 

I sediment and carbon filter my tap water so is taking out a lot of everything but not everything, then I put a tiny bit of gypsum back into my water to make the mouthfeel dry, which makes the hops pop. 

Like Otto has already said, leave the soft water to pils etc. 

Not too sure about the decoction mashing making it clearer, everything I’ve read, people say it’s a waste of time and effort for the result you get, 

• Thanks 1

Hey @RDT2. As Cap and Kelsey say its not as good for hoppy styles. I use straight rain water for my pilsners as well and they turn out great. Hoppy styles just the town water and gypsum mostly as Cap says.

For some beers i use the rain water and build up the water profile through additions. Sometimes you cant do that with the tap water as too much of the minerals are already present.

Rain water is a great asset to have as it allows you to mimic any profile without buying the water or getting expensive RO systems.

Congrats on the pilsener. Looks great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm actually interested to try decoction mashing but doing a triple decoction like they traditionally do. Just gotta work out something to scoop the grains out of the bag with. At the moment I just use melanoidin malt to mimic the flavour you get from it, but it'd be interesting to try a real one. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm actually interested to try decoction mashing but doing a triple decoction like they traditionally do. Just gotta work out something to scoop the grains out of the bag with. At the moment I just use melanoidin malt to mimic the flavour you get from it, but it'd be interesting to try a real one. 

I just scooped it out with a metal strainer worked great 👍 It was a good work out 💪 as I was scared of burning the grains one arms bigger than the other now from stirring just like Nadal, ok maybe nothing like Nadal🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

I just scooped it out with a metal strainer worked great 👍 It was a good work out 💪 as I was scared of burning the grains one arms bigger than the other now from stirring just like Nadal, ok maybe nothing like Nadal🤣

Or maybe quagmire 😂

I BIAB in an urn so I'd need something with a long handle, otherwise I'd burn my arm sticking it into the wort 😜

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Or maybe quagmire 😂

I BIAB in an urn so I'd need something with a long handle, otherwise I'd burn my arm sticking it into the wort 😜

Oh yeah I didn’t think of that I do a sparge so have a smaller mash volume so didn’t have that problem with needing to go too deep to get the grains. I did the decoction cause I didn’t have the same grain bill as what you use and was worried about the flavour lacking but it’s great anyway😎

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1