Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Where are you @Silmaril

ive tried a couple of times in SW WA to no avail. 

Itll probably grow over summer in most places but winter will kill it off pretty quickly in most of southern Australia 

In Victoria, a wee bit north of Melbourne. Probably no chance at all!

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

@Beerlust and his blue berry Porter.

twas a bit murky as it degassed itself in the bottle but oh my what a beer,

tasted like a blue berry liqueur almost, boozy- in a good way - mellow fruit, but prominent. nice dark beer flavours.

tops stuff mate

Thanks for the kind words mate. Much appreciated. ?

I think it's the first (& only) fruit infused beer I've ever made. Normally I would strain solids away from the wort into the fermenter. For this brew I deliberately decided not to as I felt allowing the skins & 'meaty' part of the fruit to tumble around during primary fermentation might be a good thing for the infusion & colour.

There was a lot of solid based trub in this brew because of what I did with the fruit. Even after cold conditioning, when bottling I did notice more sediment being transferred into the bottles. There was all this information I had read about fruit based pectin & how to deal with it when infusing real fruit into beer, but it was doing my head in, so just decided to infuse the fruit 'el naturale' & see how it turned out. The murky aspect you spoke of is because of this lack of filtering.

I'm really looking forward to drinking the 'Benny's Big Rye' you sent down, this coming Sunday on my day off work.

Cheers,

Lusty.

12 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Labrat

Don't worry about the AVB too much (and it sounds like you haven't). The main thing for me is how it tastes and drinks.  Yours looks a beauty.

Cheers. The ABV was more of a surprise than a disappointment. A KK with the fermentables made of 50% malt should probably be around 4 - 4.5%, I'd have thought.

Not that bothered, as I've a Pils (well...average lager) at 4 and Bitter at 5.2%. so I'm covered alcohol wise.

My main thing is to get flavours I like in there, and while I'm over the whole Pale Ale fruit bomb thing from craft breweries, I'm happy with this. It's up front, but not overpowering at all.

I kegged & fast carbed up my most recent Enterprising lager yesterday.  I'm very happy with the outcome & how this little experiment of mine is progressing.

It is very smooth (despite being 45.2 IBU) with a good mix of citrus & malt flavours (favouring the malt) with the nice aromas of Nelson Sauvin. The almost creamy head is lovely & compact. If I brewed this recipe with a clean ale yeast it would be a very different beer bordering on an IPA.

It is a lovely beer to drink & will only improve as it ages, not that it will get much time for that, I had 3 glasses of it yesterday! ?

I'm getting very close to this "Grail" beer I sometimes speak of.  For the next brewing of this I'll drop the Aromatic malt in place of a small amount of dextrose (yes dextrose!) & increase the 30min/& or 60min addition of Cascade bumping the IBU up to around 56! I have an ale brew planned next to cleanup some hops & then it will be back to this beer recipe.

Winning. ☺️

Lusty.

A beer from @Beerlust I am unsure what it was, it had BR on the lid. Very nice easy drinking ale. ummm. 
Another with IK on the lid. Lovely and hoppy, nice amber colour. Hoppy finish, then bitterness and a touch of malty sweetness, good brew.
Fruit Salad Ale - is bananas. Really good brew, amazing banana flavour. Hop burp but that may have come from the one before.
No kits here and no kit twang, really good examples of kit/ extract beers done flawlessly.

One slight downside for me on the three ales is a slight sweetness lingering on the palate. Not to my taste as I like a drier beer.

@Norris! - the ginger beer is good, I had a sip, wifey drank the rest!!

I didn't log the codes for these as they were from swaps I'd done with other brewers. I thought I'd remember the codes & what was in each, but I didn't. LOL

From your descriptors, the BR sounds like the Sparkling Ale, the IK would have been a decent hoppy pale ale I thought you might like, & the Fruit Salad Ale was an obvious one once you taste it.

The sweetness thing is a bit to do with climate differences on where we both reside. Being a little more humid where you are I probably wouldn't want too much residual sweetness in my beers either. But down here the weather is often very dry so it works OK most of the time. As a partial mash/extract brewer it is hard to get your FG low if using liquid malt extracts as I do. The only way I've found to get them lower is by using dry malt extracts but they are a PITA to mix in large quantities.

Thanks for the overly kind words on the beers. You made quick work of them! Haha! I'm looking forward to drinking your Big Red Rye tomorrow & if I get a taste for them, the dark Hazelnut beer might disappear as well!

I've been looking forward to this beer all week!

Cheers,

Lusty.

Very excited and happy with this one!

This is Brew #3. Followed the Old Brown Dog recipe. First time I've done anything more than a simple kit. Involved steeping Crystal malt grain, boiling with 2 Cascade hop additions, and a Centennial dry hop. It's now 3 weeks in the bottle, and tonight it is making my socks roll up and down!

20181104_195551.thumb.jpg.94aa42e11494f826f98a2abb675d683d.jpg

2 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

Very excited and happy with this one!

This is Brew #3. Followed the Old Brown Dog recipe. First time I've done anything more than a simple kit. Involved steeping Crystal malt grain, boiling with 2 Cascade hop additions, and a Centennial dry hop. It's now 3 weeks in the bottle, and tonight it is making my socks roll up and down!

20181104_195551.thumb.jpg.94aa42e11494f826f98a2abb675d683d.jpg

Looks great mate

I was lucky enough to sample one of Ben10's Big Red Rye's yesterday.

Lovely colour, initial sweetness from I guessed might be Cararoma (Ben later told me was Chateau Ruby), citrusy/earthy hopping that finishes dry with a noticeable bitterness left on the tongue. Lowish carbonation, but at a good level for a true ale. I let the second half of the first glass warm up a little to let the aromatics out. They certainly became more noticeable. Reminded me a little of some of the good British IPA's I've had.

Nice beer mate, & very different from anything I've ever brewed that made it even nicer.

Thanks for sharing. ?

Lusty.

On 11/3/2018 at 11:42 PM, Ben 10 said:

One slight downside for me on the three ales is a slight sweetness lingering on the palate. Not to my taste as I like a drier beer.

Interesting comment.   I recently had the exact same feedback from someone with regard to my 50/50 partials.  He's an AG brewer and has never worked with extract.  He thought the two beers I gave him were great but did note a residual sweetness with them both.   I'm guessing it's probably the extract that is responsible for that impression.   I've never really noticed myself and in fact often take steps to dry mine out with the addition of 5 - 10% sugar in many of my recipes.    

@Beerlust I’ve brewed one of these BRR’s and I think it’s a smashing beer. 

So ive just opened a pale ale with the same recipe as the other but one has cascade hops, the other Taiheke (NZ Cascade).

Ive done this to find out if there is a difference in the hops. 

The Taiheke has possibly my fruit however unfortunately I think the cascade hops were a bit old so it’s not a true reflection of difference. The Taiheke was fairly fresh but obviously from a 2018 harvest and I think the cascade may have been 6 months before. 

Neither way both beers have been great. 

Decided to tap the pilsner keg tonight so I don't have to buy any beer for the next few weeks, will be kegging the red ale in Saturday and it will go on tap once it carbonates. Plus I want the kegs empty before we move. 

Anyway, it's tasting pretty decent already after having probably just under a month of lagering. Cleared up well too. I like the 2278 yeast so that one will be the house lager strain for the next year or two. I'll grab a picture on Saturday but enjoying having a pils on tap again ??

I'm sure you guys are sick of my 1st Borough Lagers, but this one was by far my best over winter. I poured one tonight remarking on how good the head retention was and turned around a few seconds later and was greeted by this icecream cone...

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20181107221057881.thumb.jpg.1d6d12b4577fcb131c455f9f62a317e3.jpg

No grain additions - all extract and a perfect hoppy (Hallertau Mittelfrueh) bitterness. Dry hopped with Amarillo cos at this stage I'd done a few of these and wanted to experiment with some "citrus" hop additions. Was also a 6th generation W34/70 ferment at ambient temps. Can't believe how well this turned out.

Pity it's pretty much the last one I have. ?

Cracked the first bottle of my new brewing life tonight. It was the bog standard Bewitched Amber Ale that came with the craft kit.

Had quiet a bit of that “home brew” flavour when I bottled it, but after only 2 and a half weeks in the bottle it was nearly gone. Tasted on the first mouthful, then it was gone.

Quite impressed with the clarity of the beer, given I probably should have left it a couple more days before bottling.

Great creamy head, good lacing down the glass, and probably close to a couple of other Amber Ales I’ve tried. So I’m a pretty happy lad tonight.

Archived