Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

4 hours ago, Norris! said:

Great saison Ben

Saisons are funny, people call any beer brewed with a saison yeast a saison.

The beer you had is a cube soured passionfruit saison. You may need to level up before you can brew that. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO SNPA is still a benchmark of what an american pale ale should be. For whatever reason brewers these days hop them to the bejesus and they are not meant to be like that. The balance between hops and bitterness has skewed so much to hops its ridiculous. I still do a clone SNPA because its a great tasty beer. Ive lost count of the "pale ales" that i have tasted that I thought could have done with about 2% more ABV and 20 or so more IBU.

22 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

The beer you had is a cube soured passionfruit saison. You may need to level up before you can brew that. 

Just so anyone understands what Ben is on about, Ben made up a process to sour a beer. Albeit that it’s usually kettle soured, Ben still found a way to do this with his set up that didn’t involve leaving a kettle for 24/48 hours, so he’s done this in a cube. 

Genius!

Another Pale (Black Rock brand), dry hopped with 100g Citra and Mosaic. Luckily I didn't leave much room in the bag, so it didn't expand and steep fully.  Bottled 21st Oct, so still not really ready.

Happy with this one. Good carbing and head, hoppy tropical aroma and flavours of melon, passionfruit, without being beer fruit juice. Cloudy, but I can't CC my beers, not too fussed about that.

Only got 3.5% out of this, but that makes it a good summer beer.

20181031_211259_resized.thumb.jpg.91cedbd7161586c1d3c437dd93e358b5.jpg

You guys can use gelatin to fine the beer even without a fridge to cold crash. The gelatin works better at cold temps but I found it still works at ambient temperatures. Just a thought for you all wanting clearer beers.

Norris

7 hours ago, Norris! said:

You guys can use gelatin to fine the beer even without a fridge to cold crash. The gelatin works better at cold temps but I found it still works at ambient temperatures. Just a thought for you all wanting clearer beers.

Norris

Thanks. I'm not too fussed about the looks if it tastes good! 

I do have the brew fridge, and could cold crash, but too keen to get another brew in there and build my supplies up. Especially given how much better the beers seem to get with some decent time in the bottle. Even my 1st Lager brew is now drinkable after 5+ weeks in the bottle, and that was one I was quite prepared to tip down the sink. 

Had a sneaky taste of the lager I made. Well it is a lager, I wasnt expecting a ton from this beer just testing my lagering process really( let it sit cold...got it), partial mash with golden promise and a Mexican cerveza kit with falconer flight at 15min 10g, 30g of FF and 15g of motueka at 5min and a 40g dry hop of falconers flight. Not really picking up too much of the hops but it is clean and well balanced. If I was going to improve it I would increase the bitterness slightly, not a lot just a bit so that it sits on your tongue after the drink. This is like a Budweiser but cleaner. No diacetyl or sweetness.

20181102_165345.jpg

That picture doesn't do it justice, it is clear as a bell. Half way down the glass I am picking up some slight citrus and pine aroma. This is better than a great northern, because I made it, but very happy with how clean it is. No faults except I miss the hallertau, noble hop, type aroma and flavour you kind of expect with a lager, well what I expect. I didn't think I would crave that but for my tastes I kind of expect that from this type of beer. It is a lawn mower drink...very easy to drink. I am happy with this. I always appreciate lagers because if you mess up somewhere it will show through, there is nothing to hide behind. Now to finish this ginger beer and get a tropical ale type thing going...or the munich madness by jamil( I have all the ingredients).

Good brewing

Norris

I used the last fresh wort kit my lhbs had, cheeky peaks. They were selling it commercial and then stopped and also stopped making the fwk!?! I have tried MJ ginger beer...blah. I have not really seen anyone say a ginger beer kit was good except for coopers, which is discontinued. The recipes I have seen have been SO complicated I always passed on them. I can make everything I want to drink with a kit or with extract/ partial mash except a ginger beer. So I am savoring this batch.

Norris

Archived