Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I have used it in like 3 or 4 beers and I love it. I laugh when I see the price difference between Vic Secret and Citra/Galaxy whatever, it is an awesome hop. I think it gets no respect because of the description which says not to use it in the boil as it gives off earthiness type flavors and aromas, I took that with a grain if salt but never used it in anything but a dry hop. But after you said you used it well in a whirlpool, that is my next try with it. I plan on getting a good 200 to 300g of it soon.

Hiya Xenon.

On 10/24/2018 at 5:24 PM, Xenon said:

This is my latest NEIPA. Damn it's tasty. 

Malt bill included Coopers Ale malt, Vienna and lots of flaked oats.

Galaxy , Mosaic and Vic Secret were used in copious quantities at whirlpool , first and second dry hop. Wyeast London ale 3 performed it's magic on the wort perfectly. 

For a 7% ABV beer this is just so stupidly drinkable.

You don't post as often as others, but I always read the posts you do. I've enjoyed watching your progression as a brewer more than most here on the forum as you like hoppy beers as much as I do. Looking at your more recent posts you look to have a really good grasp on what different hops throw into the mix that gives overall flavours & aromas. Your latest mix is an indication of that knowledge. Your recipes mimic a lot of what I am interested in, what I've learned, & what I'm interested in brewing. ?

I sampled a lighter malted/decently hopped commercial beer that used oats recently & really enjoyed it. So seeing this most recent hopped recipe of yours using oats certainly got me thinking again along this path & although I'm not into the whole NEIPA thing, your beer sounds delicious. ?

HatsOff-Forum.jpg

Love your work.

Lusty.

33 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Untitled.png.8917bc976db1b2e3ff4f2aa008ef87e7.png

my camera is phucked, but this is the big red rye..... yum

The view of a lunar eclipse through a beer? ?

I think I was right, "Scabbie" the butcher bird stole his camera! ?

Good to see you taking pics again Ben, you make some terrific beers mate.

Cheers,

Lusty.

4 hours ago, Xenon said:

Yeah I usually go for the holy trinity of Galaxy , Mosaic and Citra , but I got hold of 180g of Vic secret so subbed that for Citra and it worked well. Fair bit cheaper than Citra as a bonus as well 8-)

Fairly large AA’s too so be hard to get any sort of length boils going on, not that you want that from the likes of galaxy but even a small amount at 15mins will punch the bitterness up substantially 

Ill have a tinker tonight on a recipe

13 hours ago, Norris! said:

Yeah I have used it in like 3 or 4 beers and I love it. I laugh when I see the price difference between Vic Secret and Citra/Galaxy whatever, it is an awesome hop. I think it gets no respect because of the description which says not to use it in the boil as it gives off earthiness type flavors and aromas, I took that with a grain if salt but never used it in anything but a dry hop. But after you said you used it well in a whirlpool, that is my next try with it. I plan on getting a good 200 to 300g of it soon.

Yeah I wish I'd ordered more now but I'd never used it so wasn't sure what it was like yet. I daresay it'll be a regular in the brewery now though. Next time I'll add some as a 10 minute boil but I won't go any longer than that.

I read a brulosophy article that used it in a smash and they picked up a lot of citrus and used it throughout the boil, but started from 30min down. I wonder how harsh the bitterness was...but they said they got strong citrus aromas like walking into a fruit stand.http://brulosophy.com/2018/02/01/the-hop-chronicles-vic-secret-2017/

Either way it is a great hop. Nice beer Xenon.

Norris

I'm enjoying my Hop Slam IPA after 26 days in the bottle. 

3 litre boil with 300g LDM

15g Cascade @ 10 mins 

25g  Cascade @ f/o 

25g Galaxy @ f/o 

1.7kg T.C IPA can

1.2kg LDM

To 23 litres pitched with 240mls CCA slurry

Dry Hop 25g Galaxy and 20g Mosaic

A.B.V 5.2%

Very happy! 

Cheers, Lee

IMG_20181026_172306.thumb.jpg.82a5dd6a04b030938c64254ef9fb06d6.jpg

49 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Early taste of Not Dale's Pale.... wtf... glorious bitterness, really hop forward flavour, bitterness clears to leave more bitterness,,,,earthy spice on the nose, resinous? 

Sounds awesome. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

MunichBitter.thumb.JPG.8c1c2e3e1793ab42c742b1d2b6d1a15d.JPG

Hmmm....   early tasting of "Munich Gold":  A partial mash Golden ale with 20% Munich malt along with a bit of crystal,  Coopers OS lager and 1.5kg LME.  All I can say is I hope it improves in the coming weeks because as it stands... I'm not so impressed.  ?    Only steeped 25g Motueka for this one and I'm now wishing I'd been a lot more generous with the hoping...    

23 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Is the WTF because you weren’t expecting what you got?

No, it's not. It's simply that Ben doesn't trust my recipe idea suggestions yet. ?

I'm really glad he was pleasantly surprised. ☺️

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived