Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

12 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

You can still make a really decent brew with a can + grains, hops etc. I'm on my 4th all grain brew and yes the freshness is much better
But i have made some cracker K & K brews.

BTW, Your brew looks great mate.

Cheers Hoppy.  Yeah the Coopers Cans have the capacity to provide good results with a few tweaks.... and for the foreseeable future am gunna be a 'Can Man' ?

Am going to focus on quality ingredients/variations and try to reduce Dex dependancy ; )

... plus good temp control with warm brew Ale Yeasts for a start... then at some stage hopeully graduate to the cold Lager Yeast challenge.

These challenges will keep me going for a good while yet! 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried a Stockade NEIPA last night, the first time I have tried this style.

Was good , nice and fruity, but was expecting it to be a bit more cloudy from what I have read..?

Couldnt really see how it was different from a normal IPA except maybe less bitter?

Any other NEIPAs out there worth a try to get a jist for the style?

Tried their 8Bit  IPA which  I enjoyed a fair Bit  more!!

Cheers

James

19 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Still nowhere near as hazy as the pilsners I forgot the brewbrite in ?. They looked like a neipa. Difference probably due to mine being made from a full mash. That one looks delicious though!

Curiously I just served up another today in a nonic glass and this one looks much clearer for some reason?       Maybe yesterdays bottle just got shaken up in transit...     ?

I thought the whole pic itself was terrific & liked it in the original thread Bearded Burbler posted it in. ?

Ben10 used to take some great pics of his beers & post them, but haven't seen too many of those great pics from him of late.

Maybe "scabbie" (not sure of the name you gave it!) the butcher bird stole his camera! ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Neipa anyone? 1 Month in the bottle today hopped up with citra, mosaic and azacca and used liquid gigayeast vermont strain for the first time. Very hoppy and hazy, nice chewy but silky mouthfeel from the oats and good hit of tropical flavor from the hops. Looks like sh!t tastes like gold ?

IMG_0558.jpg

3 hours ago, James Lao said:

Was good , nice and fruity, but was expecting it to be a bit more cloudy from what I have read..?

Couldnt really see how it was different from a normal IPA except maybe less bitter?

Cheers

James

James I had 3 Raven's juicy IPA recently and enjoyed it, def true to the style low bitterness and a punch from the hops. 4 Pines just brought out a neipa and i'm definately grabbing a few when I see them in the bottleo, they should be out soon.

19 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I thought the whole pic itself was terrific & liked it in the original thread Bearded Burbler posted it in. ?

Ben10 used to take some great pics of his beers & post them...

Black Sands' cracking HB Photo (see below) threw down the challenge...  Fortunately I have a few more fence posts for some more HB-photography attempts in the future ;  )

But I need to produce some more brews to be able to get the photo?

And that sadly given other distractions like work will mean a bit of a delay in proceedings...   a Weizen in time for Christmas might be the next production.

Anyone used cloves at all in a spicy wheat beer brew or is that just sheer madness?

image.png.9caf3e475db57e2276eef4c944366abc.png

9 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

You can get clove from the yeast I'm pretty sure, so probably no need to put actual cloves in it.

Good.  Yep good advice OVB.  I'll do the base brew for benchmarking and go from there. 

Guess I could throw a couple cloves boiled n cooled in v small amount of water into a bottle or two for a laugh?

Cheers DD - good stuff.   I was going to do the first version with Coopers Yeast - and second version same ingredients with WB-06...

Maybe if I want that Clove taste at Christmas I should do the Safale WB06 first then ?   ?

3 minutes ago, Dirtman Dan said:

Hey Burbler, try some Safale WB06 if your chasing clove flavors mate, i've had good results with it in my hefs. Cheers.

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

...a Weizen in time for Christmas might be the next production.

Anyone used cloves at all in a spicy wheat beer brew or is that just sheer madness?

Not madness, just unnecessary. A trait of a number of wheat beer yeast strains is the ability to throw a clove-like phenolic.

A few years back I brewed a Redback Wheat beer clone. This beer has the clove phenolic as part of it's makeup. My home-brewing of this turned out very well.

Wyeast 3056 - Bavarian Wheat Blend @ 18-19°C for the clove phenolic you are looking for.

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Not madness, just unnecessary. A trait of a number of wheat beer yeast strains is the ability to throw a clove-like phenolic.

A few years back I brewed a Redback Wheat beer clone. This beer has the clove phenolic as part of it's makeup. My home-brewing of this turned out very well.

Wyeast 3056 - Bavarian Wheat Blend @ 18-19°C for the clove phenolic you are looking for.

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

Gold Lusty.  Yeah I reckon trying to stick to the real ingredients and make the best out of those is 'the business'... good stuff.  Thanks mate.

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Wyeast 3056 - Bavarian Wheat Blend @ 18-19°C for the clove phenolic you are looking for. Just my 2 cents.  Lusty.

Lusty (thanks mate) - and all you other WB brewers... if I am going to do my first WB - what Temp do you think I should pursue?   As a benchmark...

Yeast is either WB-06 or the Coopers Kit Yeast (not both this time).

Am using Coopers Preachers Extract.. and then likely adding 1kg of Wheat LDM plus 1kg of BE2...

Am thinking of doing a Yeast Starter on BE2 for a day or so (discussion with Coopers' Paul) and then getting the brew ready and pitching.

But the big question is.......... well there are plenty of potential questions... but would be keen to read what you think... What temp?

I might be a big bugggggered with the 18-19 without a fridge and the summer coming on... is 24 deg C Dangerous?

Am I going to go Bananas ?

Or is going that high actually going to be detrimental?  By Nov reckon my larder is going to be mid 20s and don't have cooling power just yet... 

7 hours ago, James Lao said:

Cheers

James

I have tried the Matriarch NEIPA and it was pretty good. Juicy and filled with hops, very hazy. I think it was a good example of the style.

Side by side taste test - 2018 Coopers Vintage Ale.

The real deal on the left, mine on the right (the one with zero head).

1548758877_Sidebysidetastetest-2018CoopersVintage.jpg.f4bc75d6199d1f236634704539ac6623.jpg

This is after two weeks in the bottle.  Not sure how long the Coopers version is aged before distribution.

In almost every way mine is harsher.  This comparison might just be age related.

Mine is a bit darker.  Mine's aroma is more alcohol than hops (7.5% ABV), whereas the genuine is clearly hoppy and as described in the recipe "spicy, earthy scents, sweet malt and floral flavours, a touch of herbs".  Similar tastewise, but mine is nowhere near as mellow as the commercial version.

Mine is definitely drinkable and what I consider is a good beer.  I think it will benefit from more time in the bottle.  This one was a PET bottle.  Did a couple of them for carbonation squeeze test purposes.  The rest are Coopers crown seal longnecks.  Overall I am happy with the result.  I will put away at least a dozen for opening when the 2019 Vintage comes out.  or so 

Just poured the second of mine from on high and got a head, but it dissipated in a few minutes (might be the glass though).

Cheers Shamus

Sounds like a time issue to me too. It is a beer that needs a bit of ageing to mellow it out and meld the flavors together properly. Same reason I brew the winter porters and stouts around September/October the previous year, so they get about 8-10 months ageing in a keg before being consumed, which is probably equivalent to somewhere around 16-20 months in bottles.

Currently drinking my pimped Pale Ale.  I think this is my best yet. 

1.7kg coopers Pale Ale

1kg Golden LDME

430gm dextrose 

200gm crystal malt 

10gm centennial and 10gm cascade @ 50 mins (* was supposed to be only 10gm centennial @ 60mins, accidently put the cascade in, panicked put the centennial in too and went for 50mins- )

10gm amarillo and 10gm cascade @ 5 mins 

10gm amarillo and 10gm cascade @ 0 mins

1.4 packs US-05 pitched drya at close to 20c into ferment fridge set at 19.4c   +/- .3c

Very light colour and refreshing beer. This one will be refined again to decrease the bitterness a little and add a touch more body and colour.  otherwise its pretty good for a simple brew

It was pouring well until My keg fridge started struggling yesterday so time for an upgrade. Only just forked out for another fermenting fridge recently, this hobby can be costly. However I' estimated the 148 ltrs I made so far is saving plenty, I'm averaging around 75 cents per stubbie.

Just sampling a sneak preview of my "Aurora Bitter".    A partial-mash English best bitter with none of the usual crystal malts etc -  just extract and 25% Gladfield's Aurora Malt mash for 60 mins at 66ºC.  Fuggles hops.  It's not too bad actually...

AuroraBitter.thumb.JPG.f0a6dd61441538fb146d67c7c2b6c6eb.JPG

So my latest pale has decided to carb up, it’ll be much better when I get back from work in a week. 

This is basically a SN pale. It’s really good. Some light crystal showing through however must be some old hops, she is fairly tame on the bitterness. Probably just under where it should be.

ill definitely be trying to perfect this recipe as it’s just a great everyday pale ale. 

D9F5B837-49CA-4FFE-BEAD-EF1B200EC6D6.jpeg

Archived