Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

Hey Brew Dudes

I'll kick this one off again for the New Year and there isn't (IMHO) a better way to bring in he new year than with a Session Ale.

It's another Winner, the only improvement I'd make is to cut the Caramalt back to 200g.

IPA Gold

20 litres

Mash Temp 67 degrees

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter

0.75 kg Munich Malt

0.30 kg CaraMalt

0.10 kg Acid Malt

15.00 g Magnum [10.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min

10.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)

30.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 7.0 min

20.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min

London ESB 1968

30.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

1514753448_73_138.JPG

Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew

Scottie

Valley Brew

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll kick this one off again for the New Year and there isn't (IMHO) a better way to bring in he new year than with a Session Ale.
The time on your post says 1 Jan' date=' 7:51am. A beer for breakfast!?? [img']w00t[/img] Nice!

biggrin

It's a Session Ale so its OK

Cheers

Just started my brewing journey in 2017 with kits and bits, will be looking to experiment with extracts and hop schedules in 2018.

All of my beers have been drinkable so far, even the 9.5% ale (now to find a way to stay awake for longer than 10 minutes after drinking one!).

I found some great info and advice on this forum so far, so thanks one and all and good luck with the years brewing.

I finally got around to kegging a little lazy extract lager I put together about a month ago earlier today. I fast carbed it & poured a few later today. Pours beautifully, has good head development & retention as well as a good bitterness & good hop structure for a lager. The Mt. Hood has worked well as a bittering hop as I thought it would.

The one failing it has is that it has a slight unwanted sweetness due to the amount of crystal malt that I used in laziness for a quick extract + steep brew. This can easily be rectified by subbing the crystal for some Munich or Vienna malt in a mini-mash that would create a more traditional lager malt bill.

It's very sessionable & that was my overall aim with the beer recipe to start with, so I'm very happy with how it has turned out.

Side Note: To porschemad911 (John), you were spot on about the improvement in noticeable bitterness post carbonation. As I said previously, "Good Call" mate. smile

I don't make a lot of lagers or low hopped session type beers, so feeling pretty chuffed on a few levels about this one. happy

Next planned brew is an attempt at a BIG resinous Pale Ale to back up some earlier comments I have made about that subject.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Side Note: To porschemad911 (John)' date=' you were spot on about the improvement in noticeable bitterness post carbonation. As I said previously, "Good Call" mate. [img']smile[/img]

No worries Lusty, I am no guru, have simply noticed this phenomena several times in my own beers. Glad you are happy with the beer! When I posted abut the carbonation, the crystal also stood out to me a little in your recipe. I would have either halved it or dropped it entirely, but at least now you know what that amount tastes like in this style of beer.

Re 2018 home brew drinking ... I've got 6 litres of my American Amber on Tap-a-Draft as well as a sample bottle of my all-grain Coopers Best Extra Stout clone ready to go ... looking forward to both!

Cheers,

John

So I've been really enjoying my Riwaka Saison.

I took this beverage to a extended family xmas day and as it was in the mid thirties was a very refreshing drop.

One fella that was there had said that this was the best saison he had ever tasted. I was pretty chuffed with that. Till he said that this was the only saison he had ever had ha ha ha. He had never even heard of the style. But was very impressed anyway. Said that it was the best beer he has had in quite some time.

Other beer nerds I know that i give beer to for feedback have said that it is a very good Saison and betters some commercially available brews. I think its a great beer and will continue to brew this style along with the Pale ales I currently brew.

Big thank you to Ben 10 for the inspiration on this style of beer. I have been interested in this style for quite some time now. Im glad it turned out to be brilliant.

Cheers

Kirk

Drinking a wide selection at the moment... well, not at the same time of course! But I like to have a range of beers on hand.

Just sampled my latest Golden ale, the latest of a series of golds I've been brewing showcasing a single hop, this time Motueka. Is a perfect Summer time ale... and I'm very happy with this one! biggrin I like the style, it's a good refreshing easy-drinker and looks great in the glass!

I still have half a batch of my Belgium Brune left... that too was a success and continues to improve as the weeks go by. It's a keeper.

Also been sampling my recent saison. Embarrassingly, after literally being on the verge of tipping it early on thinking it was spoilt it's actually turned out to be a perfectly fine example of the style. Another that seems to continue to improve with the passing weeks.

I have four bottles of an NZ best bitter left which I've been enjoying also... finally got the balance right I reckon in this one though I have recently put down a replacement batch with a few minor tweaks.

Also, just knocked back a couple bottles of a non-dry hopped APA, brewed a while back, which is nice enough... but not special. Used Pacifica and Kohatu hops, both great hops but quite mellow at the same time and their presence now seems quite subdued after a month or so.

And, finally... a rye amber ale. Not sure how I feel about rye... adds a distinct sharpness and crispness to the beer's character which I'm a little indifferent about to be honest.

cool

2017 premiers vintage ale :

1xapa can

1xra can

500 dex

200 med crystal

150 caraaroma

15g EKG @5

15 centennial 5 steep

Dry Hop

25 ekg, 35 centennial, 10,willamette

Yeast - Nottingham, 21L

My own variation of the vintage ale

I think the base of coopers DIY vintage ale really can produce an exceptional home brew and this is drinking just fantastic - is a good representation of the real thing, cheers folks

• 2 weeks later...

Drinking my usual CCM IPA, base is the lager can, LLME can, DME 0.65kg and a bit white sugar and some cararye - yum.

Citra 40g, 7 mins

Chinook 30g, 7 mins

Mosaic 40g, 7 mins

Timed a 15 minute steep after flame out

Dry hopped

Citra 50g

Cascade 25g

Mosaic 25g

Keg hopped

Citra 50g

Cascade 25g

This hop schedule is really doing it for - me bloody delish!

6.9%

57 IBU

Also did an ESB similar fermentables as the IPA, but with 300g of caramalt and 100g of chocmalt.

EKG 50g 7 mins

Dry hopped EKG 25g

Was worried there was 2 much caramalt, but I think the hops are balancing it out, maybe would put another 25g in the boil next time.

Definitely getting caramel / dark cake type aromas and flavours but not overly sweet .

6.7%

35 IBU

Will try and get Styrian Goldings for the next attempt at this one..

Happy days

Cheers

James

My Golden Session Ale

60 gams of Amarillo, this beer has a beautiful pungent hop aroma.

Loving Amarillo in this more than any other beer I've brewed with it.

When it comes to hops More is More bandit

1516176380_55_108.jpg

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I am drinking a extract ale made with galaxy, citra and my favorite yeast for summer brewing M54. I did 25g of each at 5min and 3 min and then let steep for about 10 min. It is a little cloudy even though I used gelatin, I think because I added a little wheat also. It tastes crisp and clean with an amazing citrusy aroma and flavour. If I had to compare it I would say Two Birds Passion Victim ale is close with mine being a little less malty.

1 black rock ultra light lme

500g of dextrose the next one will have 250g

350g ldme I will probably push this to 500g next time

157g of wheat dme. I used this for head retention and some body but as noted I think it leaves the beer slightly cloudy. It was also the left over I would next time try 250g of carapils in its place or a specialty malt to try to get the head retention and body up.

M54 mangrove jacks yeast. I used this because it is a clean and crisp yeast even up to 22-24c, I use it when it is hot as down here.

I dry hopped with 25g of each.

This is my best beet so far, largely because it was full extract and no pre hopped kits. I basically still did a k&k. I am working on a name...maybe "hoppy lawnmower" or "Citraxy Ale" I don't know but it is nice.

Cheers,

Norris

Hiya Scottie.

My Golden Session Ale...

Nice looking beer & Amarillo on it's own produces a very nice beer. Imagine how much fuller that flavour could have been without the Magnum. wink

Attachments:

• IMG_0155.MOV

How many of these had you drank before taking the video? Looks like you just about fell over before you caught yourself! Ha! lol

biggrin

You seem to be enjoying a real 'purple patch' with your brews atm. Congrats. happy

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

I'm drinking my APA brewed with Citra, Chinook and Simcoe hops today. It came in at 4.9% ABV and is a nice fruity drop. This one was cube hopped which I haven't done before, it has given it a bit more of a hop flavor punch so I daresay I'll be doing that from now on with hoppy styles. It was also brewed to a lower IBU which has worked well; previous batches were tending to be a little over bittered but this one is nicely balanced.

1516417613_5_9.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

Have just been enjoying a couple of glasses of my Resinator pale ale from the keg.

It's BIG. Very hoppy, quite dank, has a firm bitterness, & for the main purpose of the experiment, yes successfully very resiny. biggrin The malt bill can barely hold it all at the pale ale ABV% mark.

I'm glad I added in some citrus hop elements or the beer would likely have ended up less enjoyable & a bit too one dimensional. It's got a good citrus backbone flavour & the aromas from the dry hopping are very nice & become more intense & noticeable as the beer warms.

I think the beer came in around the mid $50's cost-wise to make, so not something I could afford to do every brew. Fun as heck to make though! wink

It's certainly not a beer for everyone, but for me it's like a yum overload! love

It's gonna be hard to leave alone now it's in the keg & on the pour.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

It's BIG. Very hoppy' date=' quite dank, has a firm bitterness, & for the main purpose of the experiment, yes successfully very resiny.

[/quote']

Nice. I look forward to having a poke at something along those lines.

I will have to throw hops in the boil I think.

I'm having an IPA atm.

Very nice.

Lost one of the last two batches so I am running low on beer.

It's BIG. Very hoppy' date=' quite dank, has a firm bitterness, & for the main purpose of the experiment, yes successfully very resiny.[/quote']

Nice. I look forward to having a poke at something along those lines.

That's a bit kinky isn't it? I'll stick to drinking mine! tongue

I bottled two longnecks with what wouldn't fit in the keg. If the one I open carbs up & drinks well, I might send you up the other one. Might. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived