Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

@Greeny1525229549

man I want a Saison right now. 

Im at work so I had a coopers pale tonight. First beer in a week. 

Looks good......... how’s she taste?

A touch more subdued than the normal actually. Fruit upfront with some slight tartness at the end. Nice but not spectacular. And not as good as my previous batch with the same recipe. However that was a 19L batch. This was a split batch with half the yeast pitch. Maybe they react differently. The other one which was 3724 till it shit itself then a pitch of belle to finish off tastes awesome. That will be bottled tomorrow.

On 10/28/2018 at 9:02 PM, Hairy said:

The hops last longer when bottled.

Yep I reckon you're onto something there. Have heard of a couple of breweries (besides Sierra Nevada) who moved to bottle conditioning due their hoppy beers and are very happy with the reduced hop fade. 

Cheers, 

John

I can’t recall exactly but it was earlier this year in the warmer months. It is probably 8 months old.

It has lost a little zing and the hops have faded significantly but there is enough tartness to still be interesting.

16 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Yep I reckon you're onto something there. Have heard of a couple of breweries (besides Sierra Nevada) who moved to bottle conditioning due their hoppy beers and are very happy with the reduced hop fade.

I love my hoppy beers & if I had any substantial drop-off in hop flavour & hop aroma when I moved over to kegging, I would have returned to bottling beer. Those breweries need to look more into their hop structures & techniques for hop implementation.

I was having a look around the Beer & Brewing Magazine website earlier yesterday & spotted a nice looking Dogfish Head type Pale Ale recipe. I've always wanted to brew one of these beers but never gotten around to it & it is a little awkward using small volume boils as I do, but this one looks like it would be OK.

I reckon it's long overdue I did one of these, & will work on something for my next brew. I'll tweak it & make it a beast! Mwhahahahaha! ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Went to pour a brown ale last night and got spluttering straight up. Guess it finally emptied ? that's it for the home brew until I keg the red ale next weekend. Will clean out the keg and line some time over the next few days so I can move the pilsner keg to the back of the kegerator, as well as set up the chilled water system again for the font. I emptied it out when the weather cooled down as it wasn't really needed then, but with it warming up again now it will be quite useful. 

Drinking a saison from @Ben 10

Wow! This wasnt what I was expecting. The aroma and flavours are like sour patch kids. It starts out sweet like candy then becomes tart and dry.  This is a beautiful beer that MAKES you want to have another drink. Where is that aroma and flavour coming from? What hops are in this? Is that the yeast making it smell and taste amazing?

I never had any aroma pop like this, it is just like candy to me. Sorry if my description is off and not by the bjcp standards but I am a simple man. Great saison Ben, I will be asking for this recipe.

Cheers

Norris

I think I might. Why not right. I like the dryness of this saison, but I would expect most of them to be dry.  If I do it I will be looking at centennial and Amarillo or something like that...well let me look at some recipes.

I expect it to be nice and easy with most of the hard work being the right recipe, pretty much with everything right.

Having a leftovers pale tonight, next will be a styrian pale.

This beer is basically a SN pale ale. 

Such a good everyday beer. Slight bit of sweetness from the crystal malt, perfect bitterness that offsets the sweet and good hop presence. I think these hops were a bit old as the typical cascade flavour is somewhat subdued. 

Effing great beer though. 

So glad that this very simple recipe is so delicious. Sometimes it’s the simple ones that shine.

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

SN pale ales are niiiiiiccce.

A breakout beer when it was first released & slowly & steadily influenced drinkers over a long period of progressive brewing & drinkers wants. It's still a good beer but no longer the GREAT beer it was when measured against those beers it was compared against for many years. Collectively the modern pale ales today have so many facets to them across the board that the SNPA really only holds a small pocket of interest where once it was THE beer to drink in the pale ale genre as nothing held a candle to it.

Over a period of time & through sheer weight of sales the commercial beer world finally took notice of what Sierra Nevada had produced & began brewing beers of similar ilk. Sierra Nevada brewing have a lot to be proud of along this front as they pioneered, & created a following for a style of beer that was almost unheard of before they came along. ?

Their Torpedo IPA is still an awesome beer IMHO.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived