Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I usually find the ice cream cone head happens when the beer is overcarbonated.

Each to their own I suppose. I found it was the "best carbonated".

130g Dex in 24.5L of 15c fermented beer equals around 2.2 Co2 volume.

Not sure if that's "on style" for this brew but I can't imagine you'd want much less.

Yeah it certainly doesn't sound too much. How warm did the beer get post fermentation before it was bottled? That is the temperature that should be used to calculate priming sugar, not that I ever bothered, I just did it to taste as well.

I only say it because I've had a few commercial beers that have had that happen and when I look through the glass there are way more bubbles rising through it than I get in my own kegged beers, and I find (mine) to be perfectly carbonated, suggesting those commercial beers are more highly carbonated and probably too high. I also had an overcarbonated batch of porter once that did the whole ice cream cone thing.

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

How warm did the beer get post fermentation before it was bottled? That is the temperature that should be used to calculate priming sugar, not that I ever bothered, I just did it to taste as well.

More on this... Is it true?

What if you're jumping up temp to help finish off then a cold crash afterwards? Which of these temps are you supposed to use? Or any in the range between? Or is it the temp at which you're bottling?

I always thought it was average ferment temp... Either way, this brew was pretty constant hover between 12 and 16 mostly towards 15 which is why I calculated it from that.

It's the highest temp the brew got to post fermentation that should be used if you are basing it on any temperature. Like I said, I never bothered (reasoning below), using dextrose, I'd just add 160g to a batch of a style I hadn't bulk primed before, if it wasn't enough I'd increase it in 10g increments each batch until it was. Pilsners used to get 200g dextrose, pale ales 180g, English ales about 160g, porters/stouts about 130-140g. These weights were based on 25L batches.

Some people seem to think that the CO2 that escapes the brew, and somewhat the fermenter as well while it's warmed up, magically gets sucked back into the fermenter and the brew when it's cold crashed. Even if the entire headspace of the fermenter was purely CO2 (which it isn't anyway once fermentation ceases, especially if a dry hop is done at this point), and all of it got reabsorbed, it would only provide about 0.1-0.2 vols of CO2 at the most, which is bugger all in the scheme of things. That's why I never worried about the temperature.

Thanks OVB. So you're saying style, volume and personal taste (with a bit of experience) would be your only deciding factor in how much carbonation (hence, priming medium) is needed. 

On the whole I'm pretty conservative with my measurements due to using glass bottles and probably my tastes. For example, I'm drinking a pils right now that only got 130g Dex for 23L. It's good & fizzy but could probably use a little more. This is why I was taken aback by your "over carbonated" comment.

On 10/12/2018 at 5:52 PM, Norris! said:

A ginger beer from a fwk, it is nice. Pretty much no head...but it is like a soft drink, so like 1 is all I can take on most session nights. Next up a kaiju krush to compare to my Krush, not expecting a clone but comparing the level of aromas and flavours to each other. So just a reason to drink 2 beers at once.449310453_2018-10-1218_49_23.thumb.jpg.58063cf57b53cbf2173b363622b92639.jpg

Hey Norris. Would you remember the brand of the ginger FWK you got? The lady of the residence is interested in me putting one down for Christmas.

42 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

Where are you off to over there? Business or leisure?

Leisure is my business!

Off to Orlando to do the Disney World thing with the family. Then to New York for a while.

Alao catching three NBA games.

Just now, Hairy said:

Leisure is my business!

Off to Orlando to do the Disney World thing with the family. Then to New York for a while.

Alao catching three NBA games.

Nice! Flying the long way around and hitting the east coast, or having to hop through LA?

16 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

So the evil twin sister, anything you’d change to it?

and I mean the beer, not your actual twin sisters 

Not at this stage.

Apparently the commercial version now uses Columbus and Citra so I may give that a go next time.

Archived