Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

I sampled my Dark English Mild from my Tap-a-draft setup tonight. It's a very tasty beer considering it's under 3.5% ABV. Has a nice malt character, and surprisingly 16 estimated IBUs leads to just about a perfect balance. Has a touch of dryness to the finish that cleans the palate for the next sip. Could use a little more roast though, but I was wary of overdoing it in a small beer with a roasted malt I hadn't used before. 

I think I'll probably enjoy a few pints of this over the weekend! And all without falling down thanks to the moderate ABV. 

Cheers, 

John

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PA that i kinda f'ed a little. This was a pressure ferment but when i added dry hops through the fermentasaurus sample bottle it foamed up and disturbed the yeast into the brew. Never really settled out before kegging. 25g calypso dry hop. Taste is spot on, infact so good it will be finished before it clears. 🤪

20181117_164125.jpg

2 hours ago, elLachlano said:

Looking for any other reports on this recipe.

Mine are six weeks in the bottle.  The second last one I had at about week 4.  The last glass of three tasted closer to the commercial version.  Got me to thinking

1. Does it need the breathe a bit before serving?
  2. Would it benefit from a little stir

So, Friday just gone I had another, but before pouring I gave the bottle a slow head over heels turn.  It tasted much more consistent all the way through.  Don't know if it was the turn or that it has just aged like it should.  Very little winey/spirity odour or flavour.  Still not as good as the commercial version though.  I have been doing a side by side taste test.  My wife gives me a look when I walk away from the fridge with two glasses in hand.

Cheers Shamus

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Mine are six weeks in the bottle.

So, Friday just gone I had another, but before pouring I gave the bottle a slow head over heels turn. 

Cheers Shamus! Well not giving up on them yet then.

I'll give em a few weeks and a turning and report back. 😉

I get that same look whenever I decide a boilermaker is in order.

Wakaho 7 pale. Idaho 7 and wakatu all thrown in late, def getting the lime zest/peel from the wakatu. First time trying giga norcal ale yeast and its awesome. Moved house over the last few weekends bloody stressful, these badboys make the end of the day worth it, cheers!

IMG_0599.jpg

8 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I imagine it's called vintage for a reason. A few weeks ageing isn't vintage 😜 

It sounds like a beer that needs at least 6 months to be at its best. 

Agreed.  I have put a dozen or so longnecks away for when the 2019 Vintage comes out.  Then I'll start drinking them.  Trying the others from time to time to observe the progression.

4 hours ago, Dirtman Dan said:

Wakaho 7 pale. Idaho 7 and wakatu all thrown in late, def getting the lime zest/peel from the wakatu. First time trying giga norcal ale yeast and its awesome. Moved house over the last few weekends bloody stressful, these badboys make the end of the day worth it, cheers!

IMG_0599.jpg

Looks great Dan

I fast carbed up my recent Pale Ale earlier today. The aromatics are very good, the hop & malt based flavours are very balanced & enjoyable from my perspective. I was a little worried early on with the aromatics, but my percentage based weight of certain hops has worked very well in this area. I haven't used the Weyermann's Dark Wheat malt for a few brews & am again very impressed with it's inclusion in this beer for what it gives.

That's a couple in a row I reckon I've hit out the park. Stoked.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I tried one of my Dr Rudi pale ales Friday night and last night. It has come along nicely since bottling and is a really tasty example of the style. The green edge to the hops has mellowed and it's really all about the apricot, nectarine and peach flavours and aromas now. Nice hop and glad I've still got more. 

Cheers, 

John 

Archived