Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Taiheke is NZ cascade. 

I made two beers the same grain bill and one had Cascade the other Taiheke. I’ve spoken about the cascade being lacklustre however I believe that was some old hops.

These Taiheke hops were fresh as and lovely. The beer tastes fresh compared to the Cascade beer. 

Recipe below. 

I think this could improve with a Centennial or Columbus addition late in the boil or a cube addition.

338C4E07-BF3E-4E97-B4AE-D03E9EED0295.png

D491BA46-465E-4DFD-8817-AAAB9475834A.png

34 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

I've got 3 dark ale batches aging in bottles. Thinking I mis-timed it! I like dark ales, so was interested to get these happening. But now thinking I'm going to want something lighter for the Summer period coming up. 

A second brew fridge and two more fermenters isn't crazy? Is it? ???

Recently i had all my 5 fermenters going at once. 2 x 19L batches in the fridge. 1 x 19L batch cleaning up in the ambient and 2 x 9L batches of saison on the heatbelts. My fermentation fridge is a full fridge which holds two fermenters easily. In lucky with that. Tried last week to get the missus over the line on a bar fridge to cold condition beer in jerry cans and kegs. "That will make 4 fridges in the house and 3 of them are for beer. The electricity bill will be thousands." Will try again in a week or so.. hehehe

26 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Having a Taiheke pale ale. Bittered with warrior and perle. Similar to the SN pale ale.

Such a good beer. Taiheke is a very nice hop. 

This one is a great “everyday” drinker. 

Yeah saw the recipe. What does it taste like? Taiheke vs Cascade etc.?

10 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Yeah saw the recipe. What does it taste like? Taiheke vs Cascade etc.?

Compared to fresh cascade I think it’s a little more subdued with citrus and a bit more fruity. Aroma wise I think a little more herbal than cascade. 

Realistically it’s the same hop just very subtle differences. 

5 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Compared to fresh cascade I think it’s a little more subdued with citrus and a bit more fruity. Aroma wise I think a little more herbal than cascade. 

Realistically it’s the same hop just very subtle differences. 

Sounds like Ahtanum vs Amarillo. Very similar traits but one being at lighter levels than the other.

Thanks for the info. ?

Lusty.

7 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

Five! Can confirm I haven't met the deepest dwelling rabbits yet. 

Yeah usually only have 1 or 2 going. I should brew regularly but sometimes go 3 weeks without a batch. It severely eats into my stocks when i do that. Id drop 40 beers every week between my dad and brother coming over most friday nights and mates and a neighbour popping in for a few every now and then and then what I drink. 

2 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Sounds like Ahtanum vs Amarillo. Very similar traits but one being at lighter levels than the other.

Thanks for the info. ?

Lusty.

That’s a good comparison actually Lusty. 

To add, if you can get fresh Cascade, that’ll be better for this beer but, the fresh Taiheke has really been sensational compared to the cascade. 

2 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

...Id drop 40 beers every week between my dad and brother coming over most friday nights and mates and a neighbour popping in for a few every now and then and then what I drink. 

...and your missus buys this as a reason for your need to brew the volumes you do etc.?

If so, I say well done! ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

13 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Ahhh...but do you have any of these stashed away ageing?

Coopers DIY recipe: Island Toasted Coconut Porter 

I do. ?

I'm really looking forward to hitting these next year through Autumn/Winter. I'm expecting a real treat to drink then.

Cheers & rubbing it in everyone's nose, ?

Lusty.

A mate gifted me 3 stubbies of the coconut porter. I tried one at 2 weeks (it was nice but needed aging) i then tried one at 5 weeks (tasting good, great coconut flavor coming through)
i'll Let the last bottle age a few months before i drink it.

.facebook_1542229706310.jpg

Not a home brew beer, but enjoying a home brew ginger beer (Brigalow kit) with a shot of Bundaberg Overproof rum!

I am very much looking forward to trying a new GB recipe in the near future - based on a different kit, with extra bits and boils. 

20181115_185029.jpg

bundaberg-overproof-rum.jpg

I sampled my Dark English Mild from my Tap-a-draft setup tonight. It's a very tasty beer considering it's under 3.5% ABV. Has a nice malt character, and surprisingly 16 estimated IBUs leads to just about a perfect balance. Has a touch of dryness to the finish that cleans the palate for the next sip. Could use a little more roast though, but I was wary of overdoing it in a small beer with a roasted malt I hadn't used before. 

I think I'll probably enjoy a few pints of this over the weekend! And all without falling down thanks to the moderate ABV. 

Cheers, 

John

Archived