Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Did you put a fair whack of crystal in that one Ben, to give it some mouthfeel?

1.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         5          42.2 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                           Grain         6          21.1 %        0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         7          21.1 %        0.33 L        
0.25 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         8          10.5 %        0.16 L        
0.12 kg          CHÂTEAU CARA RUBY® (50.0 EBC)                 Grain         9          5.1 %         0.08 L        
30.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           10         19.2 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124.21 ml]  Yeast         11         -             -             

9 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

turned up yet

nope, not yet.

Lightweight lager next. Pilsner malt, 22 ibu of hallertau, 3.4%. Very nice now, the graininess has gone and it is crisp and clean and not much flavour at all. Nothing but kettle finings.

IMG_20181209_143504.thumb.jpg.215ec6b43e092b33ec1aedbfc25ab737.jpg

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

Rome is Burning (Brut IPA). 100g hops in the whirlpool, 100g dry.
Very good, although i suspect it will improve in a week or so.

IMG_20181209_133446.thumb.jpg.28574859d1f144ba83d4c385aefa50d6.jpg

46 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

How Low Can You Go?

2.7% late hopped with 30g Galaxy. $6.85 and very very nice.

IMG_20181209_135510.thumb.jpg.440b88f381728126441ba2a561f48594.jpg

Those two beers look remarkably similar. Are you sure they are from different batches?

I'm guessing the oats have caused the cloudiness.

Good head development & retention by the looks though. 😎

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

2 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

that's why i stated the yeast that was used. they are definitely different taps. first one has rice.

Ahh I see. One rice, one oats. Both very starchy grains.

I have little experience with these two grains, but did dabble with some oats on a few brews a couple of years back. I'd assumed these cereal mashes & good conversion from suitable base malts would clean this cloudy aspect up a bit? 🤔

Cheers,

Lusty.

23 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

& good conversion from suitable base malts would clean this cloudy aspect up a bit?

dunno why they are so cloudy actually. taste is damn fine. i have use polenta before but not rice, and yes, proper cereal mash was done. i think the yeast has some influence.

Prune Porter. Possibly 7%. Delicious. Great pruney plum taste.

IMG_20181209_151026.thumb.jpg.f14360c9c2d6b8fcbdcfd895cbcf4f52.jpg

1 minute ago, Ben 10 said:

dunno why they are so cloudy actually. taste is damn fine. i have use polenta before but not rice, and yes, proper cereal mash was done. i think the yeast has some influence.

Yeah so did the light coloured oat beers I made. The look never really bothered me & there is a creaminess I noted that seems quite unique to the oats. Back then I did some reading on "Beta-glucan" rests/steeps that seem relatively important to help with conversion of the starches these types of grains seem to produce in heavier viscosity than what typical barley grain(s) do.

As I do, I got off on another tangent of interest at the time & didn't fully follow through with the Beta-glucan testing & mashing procedure(s) to fully convert the increased starch levels.

On purely an educated guess (happy to be corrected), I'd say the cloudiness is unconverted starch, & that yeast will not drop this type of haze as part of its flocculation process. I've always looked at yeast flocculation in regard to only dropping itself from suspension, not other grain, hop, or adjunct based components.

Cheers,

Lusty.

59 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Ahh I see. One rice, one oats. Both very starchy grains.

I have little experience with these two grains, but did dabble with some oats on a few brews a couple of years back. I'd assumed these cereal mashes & good conversion from suitable base malts would clean this cloudy aspect up a bit? 🤔

Cheers,

Lusty.

Use rice in my asian lager. Cannot get it clear even with a quick chill. Long cold crash and finings (gelatine). The only way I am guessing is filtering but couldn't be bothered doing that.

2 minutes ago, Gully85 said:

Stout that has improved as expected. Great coffee flavour coming through and a glass that is far to big to be used

20181209_163344.jpg

How strong are you? You have dead set squeezed the life out of that glass 😜

On 12/3/2018 at 6:25 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Australian pale ale while watering the tomatoes. Wouldn't be dead for quids..

1543823575879-15173395.jpg

Hearin' ya. 🙂

Plants-2018.jpg

From left to right, Lime tree, "Mighty Red" tomato, "Bragger" tomato, Cherry tomato, Capsicum. All boomin' Jack,......... Boomin'! ☺️

I've been growing tomatoes like this for the last 3 years & really enjoy it. The flavour from them is nothing short of amazing compared to supermarket bought tomatoes. I try different varieties each year. First time growing cherry tomatoes & almost overnight green tomatoes transform into pick-able ripe tomatoes given certain weather conditions.

The best flavoured tomatoes I've grown so far are the "heirloom" varieties. OMFG delicious! You can eat them like fruit!

I also have some replanted celery I bought from the supermarket & re-grew from base root, & some "Elephant garlic". Ridiculously big!

If you haven't ever grown your own tomatoes before, I'd highly recommend giving it a go. 😎

At least now I know why you're called "Greeny". 😉

Thumbs up!

Lusty.

Archived