Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

28 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hearin' ya. 🙂

Plants-2018.jpg

From left to right, Lime tree, "Mighty Red" tomato, "Bragger" tomato, Cherry tomato, Capsicum. All boomin' Jack,......... Boomin'! ☺️

I've been growing tomatoes like this for the last 3 years & really enjoy it. The flavour from them is nothing short of amazing compared to supermarket bought tomatoes. I try different varieties each year. First time growing cherry tomatoes & almost overnight green tomatoes transform into pick-able ripe tomatoes given certain weather conditions.

The best flavoured tomatoes I've grown so far are the "heirloom" varieties. OMFG delicious! You can eat them like fruit!

I also have some replanted celery I bought from the supermarket & re-grew from base root, & some "Elephant garlic". Ridiculously big!

If you haven't ever grown your own tomatoes before, I'd highly recommend giving it a go. 😎

At least now I know why you're called "Greeny". 😉

Thumbs up!

Lusty.

Yeah i love it lusty. Really got into it about 10 years ago when i started working for a gardening company. Free stuff tends to make you get interested. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

20181207_165302.thumb.jpg.2fb082159962d75b92d4ea884779ff73.jpg

Need to find some stakes or a cage!

Anyone use yeast trub cake sludge as fertiliser? Wondering if it's any good.

Wouldn't use it mate. I tipped mine on the lawn once and it killed the lawn. And lawn is as tough as it gets. Plants dont like alcohol. However if your an all grain brewer the grain is awesome for compost.

I wouldn't use yeast trub on the garden either. It's not just alcoholic, it's also acidic which wouldn't do the plants any favors either. Spent grain is fine, kettle trub would probably be ok although I just tip it down the sink. Spent grain goes into the garden unless I can find someone who wants it for chicken feed. So far unsuccessful with that, had a few messages of interest last time then the idiots disappeared when I told them where and when it had to be picked up. Maybe someone around the new neighborhood will take it from me.

I saw a post, possibly on AHB where someone emptied the spent grain into a sanitized 20L bucket with lid. Holes had been drilled in it and it was seeded with store bought oyster mushrooms once grain had cooled. It looked amazing and mushrooms very quickly spread through the grain and colonized it, then oyster mushrooms started growing out of the holes. Yet to try this but definitely will!

9 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Since it's your own place Kelsey, just put a few compost bins in. Goes great in them. 

That could be a goer. It's a smaller yard than I'd have preferred (largely thanks to the pool) but there should still be room to put one or two compost bins in. They'd be useful for my hops as well actually.

I fast carbed up my most recent Pale Ale using Ella, Columbus, Riwaka, Motueka, & Simcoe yesterday & had to of course try a sample. The flavours & aromas are really different, & really good! Very unique as I've never tasted or smelled anything like this before.

I fermented the Coopers commercial yeast lower @ 19°C to minimize ester production & it has produced a cleaner profile that allows the hops to shine & is lovely to drink. My partner had a glass with me yesterday & said it was terrific.

....and it's a kit based beer! 😲

No signs of kit twang or it tasting "green" either. Pretty stoked with it actually.

1 hour ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Nothing better than making your own compost. 

Making beer? 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 12/11/2018 at 7:13 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Spent grain goes into the garden unless I can find someone who wants it for chicken feed. So far unsuccessful with that, had a few messages of interest last time then the idiots disappeared when I told them where and when it had to be picked up. Maybe someone around the new neighborhood will take it from me.

Buy your own baby chicken then feed them the spent grain until they’re fat enough to be cooked on your smoker. Repeat!!

4 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I fast carbed up my most recent Pale Ale using Ella, Columbus, Riwaka, Motueka, & Simcoe yesterday & had to of course try a sample. The flavours & aromas are really different, & really good! Very unique as I've never tasted or smelled anything like this before.

I fermented the Coopers commercial yeast lower @ 19°C to minimize ester production & it has produced a cleaner profile that allows the hops to shine & is lovely to drink. My partner had a glass with me yesterday & said it was terrific.

....and it's a kit based beer! 😲

No signs of kit twang or it tasting "green" either. Pretty stoked with it actually.

Making beer? 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

Gday Lusty,

what type of FG does the coopers commercial yeast achieve? Does it make a dry beer at home? Do you get the cooper-esque esters in your brews? I did read somewhere i cant find now by PB2 that fermenting it at a different temp to produce the esters, as opposed to coopers brewery temp fermenting by the hectoliter. I did have a coopers session ale but paid no mind to the yeast profile of the beer as i chugged it down, ill have to buy another and see if i can detect the coopers yeast. Really does sound like a versatile yeast, and my grail beer is the Sparkling. Care to share the recipe for this one?

Tried one of my modified Hop Gobblers ... what I perceived as a strong Smokey flavour has gone and what iv got now is bloody delicious. The sample I took when I poured it from the FV was totally different from what's in the bottle even after 5 days. Was going to try Palm these off but won't now. The EKG and Fuggles combination is a winner. But next time I'l stick to the recommended levels of choc malt as the recipe.

20181212_180647.jpg

Hello GrogDog.

4 hours ago, grogdog said:

Gday Lusty,

what type of FG does the coopers commercial yeast achieve? Does it make a dry beer at home? Do you get the cooper-esque esters in your brews? I did read somewhere i cant find now by PB2 that fermenting it at a different temp to produce the esters, as opposed to coopers brewery temp fermenting by the hectoliter. I did have a coopers session ale but paid no mind to the yeast profile of the beer as i chugged it down, ill have to buy another and see if i can detect the coopers yeast. Really does sound like a versatile yeast, and my grail beer is the Sparkling. Care to share the recipe for this one?

It generally attenuates very well & on the dry side rather than sweet. It is quite an aggressive strain (from my dealings with it) that I like, & gets to work quickly & reliably. FG's will always vary depending on the malt based ingredients used in the recipe. If you want to promote the banana ester then ferment in the low to mid 20's. To minimize ester production ferment in the high teens.

I'm not sure what temp the Session Ale is fermented at as to whether the banana ester is promoted. My guess would be it likely isn't due to wanting the Galaxy/Melba flavour/aroma mix to shine.

Coopers DIY recipe: Coopers Sparkling Ale

Cheers,

Lusty.

12 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Hello GrogDog.

It generally attenuates very well & on the dry side rather than sweet. It is quite an aggressive strain (from my dealings with it) that I like, & gets to work quickly & reliably. FG's will always vary depending on the malt based ingredients used in the recipe. If you want to promote the banana ester then ferment in the low to mid 20's. To minimize ester production ferment in the high teens.

I'm not sure what temp the Session Ale is fermented at as to whether the banana ester is promoted. My guess would be it likely isn't due to wanting the Galaxy/Melba flavour/aroma mix to shine.

Coopers DIY recipe: Coopers Sparkling Ale

Cheers,

Lusty.

Cheers mate, i will give the coopers yeast a go. Do you keep some and reuse it?

And I was actually referring to the recipe of your beer in the picture😁

Cheers thanks for the info Lusty.

2 hours ago, grogdog said:

Cheers mate, i will give the coopers yeast a go. Do you keep some and reuse it?

In the past I've just gone through the re-activation process from a 6pk of Coopers commercial Pale Ale each time & used the yeast on 1, sometimes 2 brews but no more. I am in the process of trying to maintain the strain in storage this time around as I harvested a couple of jars of slurry from a beer I kegged this past Tuesday. You do run the risk of it eventually mutating by doing this though.

The safest way to guarantee fresh, viable yeast is to harvest from the fresh commercial beer source using the re-activation method outlined by Coopers.

2 hours ago, grogdog said:

And I was actually referring to the recipe of your beer in the picture😁

Are you referring to this beer?...

https://community.diybeer.com/topic/11536-rdwhahb-what-are-you-drinking-in-2018/?do=findComment&comment=166164

If so, this beer was fermented with US-05.

Recipe linky.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

22 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

In the past I've just gone through the re-activation process from a 6pk of Coopers commercial Pale Ale each time & used the yeast on 1, sometimes 2 brews but no more. I am in the process of trying to maintain the strain in storage this time around as I harvested a couple of jars of slurry from a beer I kegged this past Tuesday. You do run the risk of it eventually mutating by doing this though.

The safest way to guarantee fresh, viable yeast is to harvest from the fresh commercial beer source using the re-activation method outlined by Coopers.

Are you referring to this beer?...

https://community.diybeer.com/topic/11536-rdwhahb-what-are-you-drinking-in-2018/?do=findComment&comment=166164

If so, this beer was fermented with US-05.

Recipe linky.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Oops there was no picture, I must be tripping balls Lusty. It was the pale ale I quoted using  Pale Ale using Ella, Columbus, Riwaka, Motueka, & Simcoe

So reactivating coopers yeast from a 6 pack of CPA every time  is pretty expensive compared to a pack of yeast. (and I'm really not a fan of the pale, I love sparkling, but it's not recommended for harvesting because of the alcohol as you know. 

So, I'd be looking to harvest from slurry or repitch onto the cake. I'm looking at keeping a house sparkling on tap so there would be no problem with unwanted residual flavors from different hops or malt, and the beer the same as the one brewed previously. 

Talking to my lhbs and he was telling me of a bloke bottling brews 5 odd batches ahead of what he was drinking, using recycled yeast, and the yeast went bad. Can't remember exactly what the story was but he had a lot of beer to dispose of. He also mentioned using nutrients and to properly care for your yeast if reusing it. 

So if I pitch like 3/4 of reactivated coopers yeast, and then build up the starter again keep it in the fridge and repeat that process every time, think that would work? 

Cheers and good brewing Lustmonster.

40 minutes ago, grogdog said:

Oops there was no picture, I must be tripping balls Lusty. It was the pale ale I quoted using  Pale Ale using Ella, Columbus, Riwaka, Motueka, & Simcoe

https://community.diybeer.com/topic/11537-brew-day-watcha-got-eh-2018/?do=findComment&comment=165893

41 minutes ago, grogdog said:

...So reactivating coopers yeast from a 6 pack of CPA every time  is pretty expensive compared to a pack of yeast. (and I'm really not a fan of the pale, I love sparkling, but it's not recommended for harvesting because of the alcohol as you know. 

So, I'd be looking to harvest from slurry or repitch onto the cake. I'm looking at keeping a house sparkling on tap so there would be no problem with unwanted residual flavors from different hops or malt, and the beer the same as the one brewed previously.

Once you've re-activated the commercial strain & used it on a brew I wouldn't advise pitching onto the yeast cake more than once. It really invites off flavours & other problems into the equation for re-using the yeast. Piling up dead yeast on top of itself & other unfermentables such as hop debris & unfermented starches etc. is not advisable. Leaving beer in contact with dead yeast cells can develop off flavours such as "Mercaptan" (like rotting vegetables etc.) & is most unpleasant in beer.

18 Common “Off” Flavors In Beer (And How They Are Caused)

59 minutes ago, grogdog said:

...Talking to my lhbs and he was telling me of a bloke bottling brews 5 odd batches ahead of what he was drinking, using recycled yeast, and the yeast went bad. Can't remember exactly what the story was but he had a lot of beer to dispose of. He also mentioned using nutrients and to properly care for your yeast if reusing it. 

This current batch of CCA yeast I have will be a good test for me to monitor as I re-use. I know the smell of this strain very well, & am hoping I'll pick up any off traits at the starter stage if it starts to mutate before I ruin a batch by pitching it into a full brew. Time will tell on that one. Your LHBS guy seems to know what he's talking about. I use a pinch of nutrient in my starters as well.

1 hour ago, grogdog said:

...So if I pitch like 3/4 of reactivated coopers yeast, and then build up the starter again keep it in the fridge and repeat that process every time, think that would work? 

The Otto man has an excellent process he has detailed here on the forum for re-using yeast via a starter method, & I would certainly have a read through that given the direction you wish to take.

Reusing yeast - the starter method

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Archived