Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Beerlust said:

It's all about experimentation as a brewer. I'd rather try something unknown & it fail somewhat on the expectation front, than have never tried it at all. That's how we learn & improve our future beers.

Yup!  Experimentation is all part of the fun for sure.  On this occasion it's an educational fail!   Though, somebody out there may actually like this sharp wooden taste in their beer...

...perhaps give 'First Gold' a go. It has been a mainstay in traditionally produced British ales for decades & has some lovely traits if used wisely.

Haven't seen that one available locally.  🤔     The description is enticing enough, mind you... I thought the same about Pacific Gem too when I first read its description!  😉     

P.S. Nice beer pic again. 😉

Thanks. 🙂

3 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Sensational beer Ben. 

Thanks so much mate, very happy you enjoyed it. Drinking my Imperial Pacific Summer Saison at the moment, I called it Tropical Nights and it is pissing down. Perhaps another cyclone forming in a few days. The local dam has gone up nearly 10% since Christmas - it's big too - so not much going on.

23 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

The local dam has gone up nearly 10% since Christmas - it's big too - so not much going on.

All the better to water the avocado farms!

if I do another Brut I won’t be adding any mittlefruh, too much herbal on the citrus. 

Having a pacific ale myself, enigma and galaxy. Great hop combo. 

9 hours ago, Hermoor said:

I'm loving Citra hops this year. My go to beer has been Coopers Cerveza with Citra added, struggling to keep up with the demand

I think when you find something that is amazing, you just got to run with it. 

Ive been waiting to brew my version of the brew dog punk IPA as it went missing in a week. But I can't get hold of Ahtanum. Thinking of subbing in some Amarillo.

13 hours ago, grogdog said:

Looks yum. Whats it taste like sim?

A bit on the sweet and malty side, as I upped the dry fermentables. Need to figure out how to add some hop bitterness when just using kits. I've heard about hop teas, not sure if that'll be the ticket. 

2 hours ago, Silmaril said:

A bit on the sweet and malty side, as I upped the dry fermentables. Need to figure out how to add some hop bitterness when just using kits. I've heard about hop teas, not sure if that'll be the ticket. 

You will need to do a hop boil, perhaps for 10-15 minutes. It is best to boil the hops in wort around the 1035 to 1040 mark. 100g of Dry malt per litre of water will get you there. Maybe just a two litre boil for a kit beer where you just want to add a little bitterness and then then the liquid into the fermenter.

6 minutes ago, Hairy said:

You will need to do a hop boil, perhaps for 10-15 minutes. It is best to boil the hops in wort around the 1035 to 1040 mark. 100g of Dry malt per litre of water will get you there. Maybe just a two litre boil for a kit beer where you just want to add a little bitterness and then then the liquid into the fermenter.

Thanks. Roughly what amount of hops would you use? 
Is there a way of finding out what hops have been used in the various Coopers kits or is this secret squirrel? 

1 hour ago, Silmaril said:

Thanks. Roughly what amount of hops would you use? 
Is there a way of finding out what hops have been used in the various Coopers kits or is this secret squirrel? 

The amount of hops depends on the Alpha Acid % of the hops and the amount of bitterness and flavour you wish to extract.

20 minutes ago, Hairy said:

The amount of hops depends on the Alpha Acid % of the hops and the amount of bitterness and flavour you wish to extract.

As an example, I do a pale ale from the Aus Pale Ale Coopers kit, and have enjoyed dry hopping with Citra. With an alpha acid of 11-15%, how much would you use to add in a noticeable whack of bitterness to a 23l brew? 

Archived