Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

26 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

I had one Sierra Nevada 'Torpedo' Extra IPA. That is definitely not what you'd call a session beer! None of my other purchases this evening were cold, so I am onto the single malt whisky instead!

I finished my Glenmorangie Extremely Rare 18yo Single Malt last night and I have no more whisky left in the house.

I was/am holding out until I return from the US in late November to pick up some duty free. I am thinking of some Ardbeg or Laguvulin.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I finished my Glenmorangie Extremely Rare 18yo Single Malt last night and I have no more whisky left in the house.

I was/am holding out until I return from the US in late November to pick up some duty free. I am thinking of some Ardbeg or Laguvulin.

You're speaking my language! I had a friend recently return from OS and she was able to pick up a 1L bottle of Ardbeg for me. Epic!!! 

Sadly, the best I've had recently Lagavulin wise was a limited release 8 year old from Dan's. It was awesome for sure, but not quite as good as the 16yo.

10 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

SWMBO, bless her heart, got me some brews from the local wine merchant (Harvest Cellars in Belgrave South) for my birthday earlier this week.  This was tonight's delicacy

Exit Brewing in Dandenong's IIPA

1028988595_ExitBrewing-IIPA9.jpg.4d0893aa5128a6d57e6c7b218315bdb0.jpg

See the 9% ABV

I would buy this just for the can art alone! the 9% ABV .. just a bonus haha bet ya felt that one

I couldn't help myself & had to sample the Fruit Salad Ale I kegged on Thursday.

It's still a little green around the edges as you'd expect for a beer with little age on it, but the bulk of what the beer offers is there. The Banana ester is there but not harsh or over the top & at a nice level. The hopping interaction is a little on the low side but certainly adds a pleasant (not in your face) hopping note with the right influences. The Caramalt inclusion has definitely helped with head retention & the glass lacing is very good (IMHO) because of it without adding a notable sweetness that is actually good to be minimised with this beer.

It's very enjoyable, & soo easy to throw back. I'll be brewing it again this Summer season. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

So I gave some of my pacific ale to a mate the other day. 

He returns with “completely smashable beer, just needs more oooomph”.

Took me while to interprete that as there is so much hop flavour it’s nuts. 

He’s talking about ABV%. The beer comes in at just over 5% as I wanted a summer drinker that was sessionable. I won’t be changing this recipe at all. And will be on a rotation over summer. 

Why are people so interested in high ABV beers? I drink beer for the taste not to get smashed. I’d rather have a few lower abv tasty beers, than a couple of heavy abv beers that’s for sure. 

Dont get me wrong there is a time and a place for imperial stouts and barley wine. Just not every beer needs to be thought shattering. 

Rant over. 

Captain

4 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

So I gave some of my pacific ale to a mate the other day. 

He returns with “completely smashable beer, just needs more oooomph”.

If it had more oooomph. it wouldn't be as smashable...

I find most high ABV beers do come with big flavours, or feel quite filling, as they usually have loads of body. They're the opposite of smashable for me.

The beer market also wants to provide session product with lower abv so the punter can buy more product, but for me many are flavour free zones.

I'm getting old and cynical, and being in marketing myself, I can almost see the cogs turning at big beer. There are many new beers aimed at this market that are just bland. It's old megaswill in new packing, and deliberately pitched as craft brew, when it isn't. I think Little Creatures has started down this road... we're generally getting more marketing than malt.

9 minutes ago, Dirtman Dan said:

Damn Blacksands your beers look epic but you also take a damn good picture too mate, are you using a phone?

No,  these are shot on an old Nikon DSLR and then 'tweaked up' in Adobe Lightroom -  my digital darkroom of choice.   Photography is one of my "things"  ?

If interested:  https://ianrushton.smugmug.com/

15 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Why are people so interested in high ABV beers? I drink beer for the taste not to get smashed. I’d rather have a few lower abv tasty beers, than a couple of heavy abv beers that’s for sure. 

I make most of my beers around 5% with the exception of my IPA which I am for 6%-6.5%. 

4 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I regularly make high ABV beers but they are to style. Tripels and quadruples mainly. Don't understand making a beer just for high alcohol especially if it aint to style.

12 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I make most of my beers around 5% with the exception of my IPA which I am for 6%-6.5%. 

Yeah and that’s what I mean, it’s its just for ABV and nothing else I have an issue. 

Style wise, no issue, however I’m not going to make a 9% easy drinking pacific ale to have a few in the pool over summer just cause more ABV is better, apparently. 

I think I may have to cut my mate off. Ha ha ha no more free beer for him

Having a couple of the blended keg today. But of an overcast/rainy arvo here. This one is an almost equal blend of the brown ale and Vic Secret pale ale. Looks like my red ale. I don't know how well it blended though, the first few glasses had the brown ale influence but now it tastes more fruity. Either way, it's a nice beer and a good way to use the surplus from two batches.

IMG_20181007_133916.thumb.jpg.6e9d47fd8b9faf09942ab64b27c2be81.jpg

8 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Man I want to get into kegging 

I'd love to as well... but the up front cost is a bit of a stretch.  A couple of kegs, ideally a dual regulator, CO2 bottle and fittings and of course a fridge/kegerator is just not something I can easily justify for a hobby that is supposed to save me money!

Just acquire pieces over time or when you can put small amounts of money aside for it. I didn't take ages to buy my stuff but I didn't buy it all at once either. I got the gas bottle one week, the taps the next week or two, probably took about 3-4 months of getting bits and pieces before the whole thing was ready to go. You won't regret it if you do.

Yeah that’s what I’m going to do. 

Its not like I can’t afford it either, there’s just other things I wish to purchase before hand. 

I’ve just got to study what I want, as I want to purchase good quality stuff once rather than replace three times. Plus want to make that work with the next house permanent bar set up. 

Now just need to do some reading 

Yeah I went the buy once buy quality route too, haven't had to replace anything yet. The only thing I did the replace was the font, upgraded from the original one to a cobra flooded one. The taps don't seem to foam as much at the start of a pour even without chilled water flowing through the font, and I also like having all the taps at the same height. 

I'm not really buying any more brewing equipment until we move house because once that happens we'll be staying put so it'll be a lot easier to have permanent setups.

Archived