Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have documented my carbonation issues, but this one bottle of Bootmakers was a ripper, sadly, the only one that was. Pretty frustrating as the tight carbonation on this really lifted the flavours. Need to find out what my issue is as it's really deflating to be diligent with cleaning and temp only to get almost flat beer.

The head looks fragile, but it settled thickly and lasted.

20180926_172248(0).thumb.jpg.d83c47b823168f0960edff72e6d68e9a.jpg

That is crazy and frustrating Labrat! Carb drops are usually guaranteed, but I quickly moved to bulk priming for more control. It is a few extra steps but in my experience it works great, you could even add it directly to the main fermenter, if your careful not to stir up the sediment. But that stuff will settle out in the bottle anyways.

Either way keep at it.

Yes, I got advice here and googled far and wide, There's a few drastic options like opening and re-sugaring or extra yeast, but that's too much fartarsing about and only fixes a symptom not a cause, which is what I'm trying to establish. The consensus is time and temp heals all. I can't see extra weeks making a difference to anything but flavours, but they are going to be hampered by lack of carbonation anyway.

I thought I had temp sorted with this brew, if anything the bootmakers it was a little warm as I had a heat belt so fermented at 20-24c. It's at 4 weeks in ideal bottling temps, and 15 bottles in, all but one are really poorly carbed, and heads disappear.

My only possible culprits are sanitisation and temperature? I may try bulk prime, but as you say Norris, I'd give the in-FV method a shot. I'm space poor.

My English bitter was right in the 18-20 zone, so I'm hoping this one works out. I used quality yeast with this, and bottled half of them with a little extra sugar.

My current brew is a pilsner but with ale yeast, and for this one I got hold of some Star San - not the unidentifiable brew shop no rinse stuff which i used previously, and appears to be napisan or vanish type stuff.

Just now, porschemad911 said:

I've had a few of those, really really tasty! Have you been to the brewery? A great spot on the river... 

Cheers,

John

Hey John, Nah never been there but i just got a 6 pack of every beer they have apart from their River time as i have heard
It's not the best. Love their firehouse coffee stout, tried their bunyip stout a couple of months ago which i found had to much
Of an alcoholic taste. Really looking forward to my days off to try the rest.

Cheers,
Hoppy

I look forward to one day having a photo of my own brew here!

I tried (in the name of research) James Squires Hop Thief tonight, #9. Only because my Coles docket had a coupon for Squires at $12 a six pack.

Woefully disappointing. It's like they've said 'lets brew a hoppy beer! Oh but we can't offend anyone...' 

Disappointingly mild in flavour, and the carbonation was rubbish too, flat by the end of a glass.

I did notice Goose IPA in the fridge at Coles, that might be my next research project. 

Enjoyed a coldie after work yesterday of my 'Fresh Draught'

When I began home brewing around easter time this year all I was out to achieve was to replicate a West End Draught. I soon realised that my beers are a heap tastier than that crap... This batch is my 4th attempt at this style and the hop amount grows every time. 

I brewed another 46 litres of it last night! 

This one is a month in the bottle and not to bad, a little under carbed for my liking though.

IMG_20180930_161816.thumb.jpg.fdc947d746ec04cd2653724dace8cb1e.jpg 

Cheers, Lee

I am still drinking store bought, I have a ginger beer on tap, but I can only drink 1 of those, they are sweet but nice.

I have been digging into the Balter XPA and Mountain Goat Summer Ale. The summer ale has wakatu and motueka hops, nice. I did an azacca and wakatu ale once, in my ignorance I thought most of the aroma and flavour was from the azacca...huh.

The summer ale is light on bitterness, making it too easy to swill. The Balter has more backbone and maltiness and more aroma and flavour. The Balters citra, centennial and Amarillo really blends together, that combo is hard to beat. Nice beers but the XPA is more my style while the Summer ale is what my wife loves, not to different from each other just bitterness really and the malt.

Norris

Archived