Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

1 hour ago, Hoppy81 said:

How good is the Caribbean Porter, i've got 3 longnecks left that are 7 months old and they keep getting better with age.

I've got 16 longnecks (I found in a milk crate this morning) left. They are only 2 months old. Doubt (very much) they'll make it to 7.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys.

Out of pure curiosity, I popped the top off one of the longnecks of the Coopers DIY Coconut Porter that I bottled  approx. 4-5 weeks ago.

Although still a little raw around the edges, the desired flavours are there & meld very well (IMHO).

Ageing this beer for drinking later down the line will prove a pleasure I reckon.

As are the vast majority of your DIY recipes Coopers, well done. ?

Lusty.

Hi, just tasting the 2nd brew - ( aka Guv's Brew 2 Session Ale in elswhere in threads) , it's come up trumps ?

this was allready fermenting before I' tasted my first attempt,  somehow this brew has a more present bittreness and pleasant flavour,  and this time better carbed (raised psi from 10 -12 & dropped temp to 2c).

just by sheer guess work and playing beersmith, ive think this brew suprcedes

regards

Guvna

20180917_190410.jpg

11 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Weird that they're different from bottle to bottle. Maybe some of them have a bit of loose sediment getting into the glass and others don't?

I'm thinking maybe different ends of the FV during bottling? Should still clear up the same during conditioning.

Not sure, don't mind, just strange.

That's possible. I figure my samples I take from the FV on kegging day aren't really indicative of the clarity of the beer as a whole as they come from the bottom where there will be a greater concentration of yeast anyway. It always clears up the longer it sits on tap, obviously partly due to yeast slowly dropping out but also because the top and clearer portion of the beer ends up moving down the keg as it empties.

13 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Weird that they're different from bottle to bottle. Maybe some of them have a bit of loose sediment getting into the glass and others don't?

1 hour ago, elLachlano said:

I'm thinking maybe different ends of the FV during bottling? Should still clear up the same during conditioning.

Not sure, don't mind, just strange.

Those that tilt their fermenter forward to get the last of the beer out of the fermenter usually end up with some extra sediment drawn up from the yeast cake/trub.

I generally only fill one longneck or stubbie beyond the tap point.

Cheers,

Lusty.

10 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Those that tilt their fermenter forward to get the last of the beer out of the fermenter

Guilty of this too. But would usually be limited to a six pack. Not 50:50 across the batch. Plus I mark the end of a batch with an underline on the number on the bottle cap.

4 minutes ago, elLachlano said:

Guilty of this too. But would usually be limited to a six pack. Not 50:50 across the batch. Plus I mark the end of a batch with an underline on the number on the bottle cap.

If this occurrence is a general thing you experience across all your brews then perhaps look into ways to filter your wort prior to it ending up in your fermenter.

The grain based worts I produce as part of my extract/partial process I do make a decent effort to filter post mash & post boil prior to that wort entering my fermenter for the commencement of primary fermentation.

I would always advise newer brewers to explore this avenue before considering the use of late boil, post boil, & post fermentation clarifying agents.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Nah this is a one off. Most my beers have been coming out super clear despite no clarifying agents. Like I said, clarity doesn't bother me too much as long as the taste is there.

From memory (I just checked my notes, or lack thereof), I simply strained the mash once post mash, then again post boil/hop addition into the fv.

Meh, could be anything. I doubt I'll get to try another one of these before lager ambient temps disappear down here in Melbs. An experiment for next April/May I'd say. Unless I score a working fridge to ferment in.

9 minutes ago, elLachlano said:

...From memory (I just checked my notes, or lack thereof), I simply strained the mash once post mash, then again post boil/hop addition into the fv.

That's all I ever do too mate along with a cold crash/cold conditioning period post primary ferment. It works fine for me with the ale brews I make. With the rare lager brews I make I sometimes do make the effort to clarify it further with a post fermentation clarifying agent that I use in conjunction with the cold conditioning process.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

That’s a great combo right there. Made one about 9 months ago and it was great. 

You getting heaps of melon?

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

My El Dorado and Riwaka Pale Ale is pouring on tap and tasting pretty nice.

Unfortunately my wife likes this too so it will last half as long.

I think it’s great when the wife likes my beer.

she said to me the other week after wanting nothing to do with my beer. “I’ll take my hat off to ya hun, you brew a good beer”

ive just bottled her another stout today. 

Shes even started trying my pales. 

Archived