Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a glass of my Waimea pale ale tonight. Tastes a bit odd, slightly sweet but not over the top. Similar kind of flavor to when some US-05 started throwing off flavors so probably a good time to retire that 1272 strain. More sulphate in the water may help too. Will be interested to see if it changes with more time. 

I currently have my Mosaic Amber Ale on the pour from the keg. I also bottled a couple this time around.

The following pour is from the bottle.

MosaicAmber-2018.jpg

Submissions for the SA state homebrew comp close on the 24th of this month.

For my own interest sake I might submit the other longneck I bottled for judging.

Cheers,

Lusty.

6 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Looks like a great beer Lusty. I’d be interested in the judges thoughts.

The judging for this category here generally likes a slightly more malty beer (higher ABV) & a little more pronounced hop flavour/aroma than my brew has. That said, I would still hope it would be received pretty well. If I could sneak into the top half dozen or so I'd be pretty happy.

I like the beer as it is & at the end of the day, I'm the one who primarily drinks it so it's a winner to me anyway. ☺️

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty. 

18 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

And I guess that’s the thing about judging to style. It could be an amazing beer but not to style and therefore score horribly. 

Hope yours does well. Let us know the outcome.

It is brewed to style, just at the lower ABV end of it that may hurt the scoring a little. Who knows?

It's one of my 'pride & joy' beers, so have been reluctant to put it out there to be judged given my own biased view of it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll update if it hits the half dozen mark. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

10g Warrior. FWH for approximately 15 IBU.

I’m going to try another 5g 

captain

Do you believe it is sweet due to the IBU you created with Warrior, or the hop choice due to the malt grist you used?

3 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Do you believe it is sweet due to the IBU you created with Warrior, or the hop choice due to the malt grist you used?

I think it’s sweet due to the grist being 300g crystal, plus not quite enough Ibus to balance the sweetness of the crystal. 

I reckon if I had another 5-8 Ibus at the start, plus another small addition at the 15 or 30 mins mark it would make for a better beer. This was only FWA and cube hopped as an experiment to see how far I could push the cube hop additions without creating off flavours. Grassy/vegetal flavours. 

Overall it sits somewhere in the low 30 ibus but with that crystal I think it should start at around 40 plus. As it was meant to be an American Pale influenced by Sierra Nevada Pale. Definitely not a clone just influenced by. 

Everybody that I’ve given a taste to has said that it was a great beer. Balanced and nice. Then I point out the sweetness and they’ve all said yeah your right it’s just a tad sweet, but awesomely drinkable. 

Next time I’ll either drop the crystal by 50g or up the Ibus

Do you have some insight into this bittering hop Lusty for this type of beer?

To add to that, since I started brewing the allure of all those different hops and flavours is what I want to see/taste as a brewer. Just about every second brew has been a simple malt bill and a new experimental hop that I haven’t tried. Then from the tasting notes I’ve tried a few beers with different hop schedules based on my findings and what “may” taste good together. 

Im also experimenting with different bittering hops now. So trying to find a go to for each style that compliments the finishing hops.

Captain

53 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I think it’s sweet due to the grist being 300g crystal, plus not quite enough Ibus to balance the sweetness of the crystal. 

I reckon if I had another 5-8 Ibus at the start, plus another small addition at the 15 or 30 mins mark it would make for a better beer. This was only FWA and cube hopped as an experiment to see how far I could push the cube hop additions without creating off flavours. Grassy/vegetal flavours. 

Overall it sits somewhere in the low 30 ibus but with that crystal I think it should start at around 40 plus. As it was meant to be an American Pale influenced by Sierra Nevada Pale. Definitely not a clone just influenced by. 

Everybody that I’ve given a taste to has said that it was a great beer. Balanced and nice. Then I point out the sweetness and they’ve all said yeah your right it’s just a tad sweet, but awesomely drinkable. 

Next time I’ll either drop the crystal by 50g or up the Ibus

Do you have some insight into this bittering hop Lusty for this type of beer?

If you're going to bitter the beer with late additions ONLY, then add roughly another 10-15 IBU to your count as they won't have the 'bite' that a long boiled hop addition will in most cases.

IBU is a figurative number that does NOT tell the story of how bitter a beer will taste at the glass.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

4 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

If you're going to bitter the beer with late additions ONLY, then add roughly another 10-15 IBU to your count as they won't have the 'bite' that a long boiled hop addition will in most cases.

IBU is a figurative number that does NOT tell the story of how bitter a beer will taste at the glass.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Yeah I completely agree.

That’s why I give the beer a solid FWA (usually 1/2 total ibu) then usually a steep then cube hop. If I was no chilling it would be different. 

This beer was an experiment and I don’t think I’ll do the same again. 

Captain

Poured a pint of my lager to taste test it again on a clean palate. Definitely crisper that previous batches. It's clearing up nicely too and looks pretty clear in my crappy photo but in a few weeks time it'll be crystal. There is a very slight haze still there which I assume is the last of the visible yeast dropping out. Not bothered by it though, tasting great already.

IMG_20180825_100455.thumb.jpg.0b79ac48e363e3f9a47db2b4c9a159ea.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived