Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Oaked red ale. Just my usual red ale with oak chips added before the dry hop. Can't taste any real influence from them, so next time I'll chuck them in with the yeast. Still, as nice as ever.

IMG_20180707_154346.thumb.jpg.8c7ed54dc3d1225afd7a0bde2f69c217.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

Hey Kelsey,

Bugger on the oak chips not influencing the flavour. However you’ve learnt something from it so that’s a positive. 

I’m going to do this with my next Red Rye Pale. 

Looking forward to how your next red ale goes. 

Sorry to hear the oak chips didn't impart their flavour into the beer. As I mentioned to you previously, the contact time obviously plays a part & your approach seemed too short for mind. The added bonus of adding the oak chips pre-fermentation is the active fermentation improves contact with the wort/beer.

Don't be shy about going after this oaked influence through your red ale mate, embrace the idea & go after it! Having brewed a partial version of your red ale, I know this oaked influence will work terrifically in with those flavours, hence why I suggested the idea to you.

You still have a lovely beer to drink & no harm was done. Best of luck with it on the next rotation. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

I did a porter or a stout some months back now and i used bourbon chips. They went into the boil and were also transferred to the fv. Some great flavors were detectable and added to the complexity of the beer. Maybe you can try the same with the oak chips.

John

Thanks guys. Yes next time they'll be added at yeast pitch time. I'll stick with 30g, and increase it on the following batch if I decide it needs it. 

I've been offered an opportunity with this beer this morning, to possibly have it brewed on a 25hL commercial system in the early part of next year. Will keep you posted as to what transpires with that too.

Cheers

Kelsey

Tonight after a particularly busy and late night at work I came home and decided to open one of my Toucan stouts bottled early April, I bottled a few with an espresso shot.  I had read about how using hot coffee could impart some bitterness, but the nose and flavour reminded me a lot of Tia Maria, it was in fact really good.  Looking forward to drinking the others!

Me and my wife are drinking a Kaiju Krush. I had a sniff and a taste and my eyes lit up, looked at my wife and she had the same look! Awesome aroma clean malt bill and fair bitterness, my wife said it tasted like one of my beers! I know it isn't mine but this beer and my wife made my day. A lot of time people chase clones but I can truly say I was making this before I even heard of it. 

I knew I was making good beers but this pretty much confirmed it. If you like beers that let the hops shine give it a go.

Norris

3 hours ago, QK said:

Having a taste of the little red rye , only a week in bottle , wow this is really nice, even my wife likes it who normally doesn't drink beer ?

Good one!!!’ Is that the little red rye based on Ben 10s original Big Red Rye?

Yep that’s a top beer. I’m going to brew this again in my next couple of brews as it’s time for another run on it. I’m just going to reduce the black malt from my current schedule of 40g to 35g. Just some slight tweaks to my tastes. 

I also now use Wyeast 1450 for this little red rye, It leaves a fuller mouthfeel which I like with this lighter ABV beer. The fuller big red rye is great with the cleaner style yeast. 

All to my tastes of course.

captain

Yep great beer to drink this time of the year,  I've slightly changed recipe as well, I really can't pick fault with this beer its that good , thanks everyone for sharing their recipes , will be making this again ?

I am drinking my centennial and galaxy ale, well my version of a session neipa, it is only 14 days from kettle to glass, it is still a little green, as expected. But I am getting good flavour and aroma from the late additions. I am not used to the silky feel from the oats, it is interesting. I expect this to be pretty good by the weekend, probably better in 2 weeks.

Norris

I'm currently moving very quickly through my version of Dr Sumrto's Golden Ale, I had a mate try and give me some Carlton Draught in return for some. I politely declined.  I'm going to put down another one as soon as the IPA is done

Had a glass of my red ale/pale ale blended beer last night. Interesting beer but overall tastes good. That Caraaroma is more of an undertone, with the Waimea hops more dominant, color is a bright red rather than the deeper red of the red ale. It's a bit cloudy from the pale ale, and hopefully the proper pale ale keg clears up more in the few weeks it sits before it actually winds up on tap. I'll probably have to buy beer again next weekend just in case the lager keg runs out, but I'm hoping there's still enough left in it to last through next weekend, because this little keg of 8L will probably be gone by the end of this weekend, especially with a brew day happening tomorrow ?.

Cheers

Kelsey

Last night, while bottling, I cracked open my BoPils that's been in the bottle lagering for a month now. Tastes great, can really taste the extra saaz tea added. Needs a little head retention work, this was my last pure extract brew before starting to dabble in grain additions. But other than that I'm happy I've got 2.3 cartons of this lying around for the next few weeks.

Super clear, used zero finings and no cold crashing. #winning. Didn't pass the wife test though, she said it tasted like minestrone... ? Hopefully she's wrong and I don't just have biased taste buds.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20180715171132508.jpg

Archived