Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

Essentially I drink them quicker than I can brew them. I also like to condition them for various periods before tapping, e.g. lagers aren't anything close to their best if I tap them straight after kegging them. 

Even doing that wouldn't work if I had a mate or two around. The keg would be emptied in two weeks anyway...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey captain I made the same mistake too, the first stout I made I purposely put less Dex in thinking I can wait weeks to taste..... Wrong,  I wanted to drink 2 weeks later but was still undercarbed, it actually took months ! So now I just put normal amount of dex in.?

5 minutes ago, QK said:

Hey captain I made the same mistake too, the first stout I made I purposely put less Dex in thinking I can wait weeks to taste..... Wrong,  I wanted to drink 2 weeks later but was still undercarbed, it actually took months ! So now I just put normal amount of dex in.?

Ha ha ha dammit! Oh well I’ll wait the couple of months ha ha ha. It’s a stout, probably needs more time to get better anyway 

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I reckon if you need to have beer pouring 90 minutes after filling a keg then you need a better set up or better brew scheduling ?

I don't NEED to have my beer pouring 90mins after kegging, but I can if I want. ? To be honest, the only reason I do fast carb is to get an early taster & feel for what I've made so I can make notes in my brew log about it. The beer always improves with further ageing even with my Pale Ales that drink very well early.

Cheers,

Lusty.

3 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I don't NEED to have my beer pouring 90mins after kegging, but I can if I want. ? To be honest, the only reason I do fast carb is to get an early taster & feel for what I've made so I can make notes in my brew log about it. The beer always improves with further ageing even with my Pale Ales that drink very well early.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Exactly the same reason I tried my stout after8/9 days

6 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Cheers,

Lusty.

I was half joking anyway mate. I usually have an early taster from the fermenter on kegging day, it's flat but it's cold and usually gives me a good idea of how it'll turn out. If I needed to have beer on tap quickly, for a party or something, then I'd do some sort of quick carb method, but normally I don't need to worry about it. I'm happy to wait a day to try the beers out.

Yeah, it does make it easier having more than one or two kegs in rotation. That's why I will get another FV and fridge once we move out of this house, so I can double production and have a small stockpile of kegs waiting for a tap, instead of running out of beer every month or so.

I guess it depends what you brew and whether it's best drunk fresh or with a bit of age on it.

No point having 6 kegs if all you brew is IPAs (or anything else hoppy). If you ever did manage to fill them all, by the time you finished the first one the rest would be dropping off fast. Yes you could keg hop to freshen them up a little, but it wouldn't be the same.

So Lusty, it might be better for you to only have 2 or 3!

Cheers, 

John

Hello all,

Trying out my first longneck of my version of the Coopers Fresh Draught recipe.

So just a o.s draught can and swapped out the 1.5kg of Light Malt Extract with 1kg of LDM and rather than a 12g steep of cascade pre fermentation I chose to dry hop 20g cascade 'lusty style' for two days post ferment, pre cold crash,  squeezing the chux cloth twice ? made to 23litres, pitching 300 mls w-34/70 slurry.

20 days total in F.V. pretty much using Kelsey's lager method ? of raising the temp once S.G is half way to 1.000 in my case I raised to 18*C  at 1.018, down from S.G. of  1.037 and ended up down at 1.005 after 14 days.

Tasting mighty fine ATM, after 30 days in P.E.T.  hop flavour and aroma much stronger than the original recipe but I'll expect it to mellow in the next few weeks like the batch I'm currently swilling down. Not much of a head on it but plenty of bubbles and good mouthfeel. I'm pretty pleased so far..

Cheers, Lee ?IMG_20180707_112429.thumb.jpg.a581c9ec047e231df30500760817463f.jpg

The very last bottle of my very first attempt at brewing after a decade hiatus.

An Anzac Day Amber Ale - made with Bootmakers kit and some caramalt extract.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180707165422570_COVER.thumb.jpg.8e5de6f01370e9f90e3ee51c47dbcb25.jpg

Bottled exactly 2 months ago. Was saving this one to see how it aged. Head retention is fantastic.

Much finer bubbles than the pic. Still the same amount following me all the way down the glass.

Lemon flavours from the Eukanot dry hop are more pronounced than I remember when drinking it younger (which is weird).

I was just glad this wasn't a failure. Has been a fantastic brew - but I'll still try and enhance it.

Yeah, I've used caramalt before and it's more of a light crystal type grain. Wouldn't expect a beer that dark from essentially light extract and caramalt, especially with Dex and maltodextrin which would lighten the colour a bit as well. Perhaps it's the kit itself influencing it.

Archived