Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kegged & fast carbed up my most recent 'Enterprising Lager' recipe earlier today. Have had a few already. It's very interesting to me. Once I move past the obvious flaw of too much body & a tad too much sweetness still remaining in the beer, it is quite amazing how the yeast has impacted on the hopping of the beer vs my typical ale strains. I know this happens & pushed the IBU envelope higher to compensate with this beer I'm trying to perfect, & yet the lager strain has still smoothed it out a little lower than I was aiming for.

I don't normally like to use harsher toned hops for long boil addition bittering, but will look to use the cascade for 60mins next time around as the lager yeast seems to deal with this aspect very well. The lack of Nelson Sauvin influence via dry hopping is evident & also detracts from a better experience when drinking, but I'm glad I didn't waste what I had left on the dry hop given the body & sweetness issues. It still drinks quite well without being anything special.

Cheers Lusty.

On 6/30/2018 at 4:49 PM, Ben 10 said:

Early taster of an Enigma Galaxy Kolsch. Freak nuck buck my mouth, holy crap tastic beer.

Yum.

Hey Benny I tried to search for this recipe but came up with zeros. Do you mind posting? I've just brewed  my first kolsch and kept it traditional with hallertau at 60mins. I've seen you and lusty trey modern variations using galaxy, etc. Would love to see your recipes for future inspiration.

Jools

Hey Lusty, 

Ive been awaiting for this.

Glad it turned out good for ya even if there is the obvious flaws to the beer. 

Keep at it Lusty as that grail is only a few brews away. 

Thanks mate. It's not great by any stretch, & I only posted how it turned out to show that when experimenting it's OK to not hit the high points everytime, & it's OK to take a hit as long as you gain some value from that.

And you often do. I did this time around. ?

You look to be brewing some great beers from the recipe listings you have posted recently. I'm very envious. ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Friday night I had one of my Mosaic Rye lagers, definitely improved with an extra week in the bottle... tasty! I followed it up with an Aramis pils. The bitterness is mellowing a little now and the hop aroma is dropping off slightly, but the hop flavour still comes to the fore in a very nice way. Delicious! 

Last night I had one of my second runnings Nelson Sauvin Amber lagers. I like it, there's plenty of flavour from all the Munich malt which seems to combine nicely with the NS hops. The chocolate malt gives a slight dryness to the finish which makes me want to take another sip. 

Tonight I had one of my few remaining bottles of kumquat saison. As the tartness mellows over time it has reached a nice balanced to my taste buds, so I enjoyed this one as well.

See what my brother in law thinks of them. I will have 10 different beers ready for him to try in a month's time ... Ahhh the beauty of bottling! Although some of them will be via my Tap-a-draft. 

Cheers, 

John

So a couple more nights at work then home. To which I’ll have another couple of brews to try. 

I’m really looking forward to my first stout actually. Just to see if it’ll either be a good to drink now or one to cellar for a bit. 

Im very EXCITED 

Captain

8 hours ago, joolbag said:

Hey Benny I tried to search for this recipe but came up with zeros.

Recipe: kolsch III 343
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Kölsch
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
3.50 g                Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)        Water Agent   1        -             
3.50 g                Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent   2        -             
1.50 g                Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins)      Water Agent   3        -             
3.00 kg               Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain         4        57.1 %        
2.00 kg               Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)   Grain         5        38.1 %        
0.25 kg               Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)         Grain         6        4.8 %         
10.00 g               Super Pride [13.90 %] - First Wort 60.0  Hop           7        15.2 IBUs     
30.00 g               Enigma [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 Hop           8        14.3 IBUs     
15.00 g               Galaxy [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 Hop           9        7.2 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [124.21 m Yeast         10       -             
30.00 g               Enigma [15.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days      Hop           11       0.0 IBUs      
15.00 g               Galaxy [15.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days      Hop           12       0.0 IBUs      

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

See what my brother in law thinks of them. I will have 10 different beers ready for him to try in a month's time ... Ahhh the beauty of bottling! Although some of them will be via my Tap-a-draft. 

Cheers, 

John

There's always this. ? I did get some bottles off a guy who had something similar once. He also had about 5 fermenters going at once though. 

03a34c0c48efa478d15791fee7b6ea5b.jpg.20f996b04f62cdbe2f2a9f4734afebac.jpg

Thanks @Ben 10.  Interesting whirlpool and dry hop additions.  And the high IBU.

I'll give it a go as a modern take on Kolsch.  Not dissimilar to some of the late hopped pilsners I have been brewing of late.  The hops are there, but they have that pilsner crispness and malt flavour that distinguishes them from a hopped up pale ale.

18 hours ago, joolbag said:

...I've seen you and lusty trey modern variations using galaxy, etc. Would love to see your recipes for future inspiration.

Briess Pilsen Light LME 1.5kg
Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract 250gms
Pilsner Malt grain 500gms
Vienna Malt grain 500gms
Rye Malt grain 300gms
CaraHell grain 250gms
Galaxy 20gms @ 20mins
Ella 20gms @ 5mins
Galaxy 60gms 80°C hop tea
Galaxy 75gms dry hopped
Ella 25gms dry hopped
Wyeast Kolsch 2565 (1 litre starter)
Brewed to 23 litres
Ferment @ 15°C
OG = approx. 1.044
FG = expected 1.010-1.012
Bottled ABV = approx. 4.5%
EBC = 6.8 IBU = 25.1

That makes...

Kolsch.jpg

...this.

Definitely one of my best beers.

Cheers,

Lusty.

So............ I tried my first stout last night and it tastes really really good. 

Dark, slightly sweet, hint of coffee, and a tiny bit of roast. Really good beer actually for my tastes. It’s just not fully carb’d yet. Dammit. 

Its been sitting in the FV freezer for 8 days at 19c while the other two beers are fermenting. Thought itd be carbd by now. 

Ill give it another two weeks and if it’s not carbd I’ll have to think about repackaging.

Captain 

10 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Yeah that’s my thoughts. Especially at 19c.

I’ll give it another two weeks and see how they go. 

8-9 days LOL! Leave it alone ya greedy buggar! ?

One week will give a very basic level of carbonation. A couple more weeks & it should be a lot better. This is one of the reasons I shifted to kegging. With the fast carb method I use, I can have it on the pour within 90mins from filling the keg. Gold! ?

The beer sounds very nice. ?

Cheers & good brewing.

Lusty.

I reckon if you need to have beer pouring 90 minutes after filling a keg then you need a better set up or better brew scheduling ?

Mind you, I'm too lazy to faff around shaking and rolling kegs around, it's easier to just stick it in the fridge and turn the pressure up and be drinking it the next night, or in the case of the current two kegs use serving pressure as I had other beer I could drink in the meantime. The red ale should be ready for a sample tomorrow night. Plus it gives it a bit more conditioning time.

When we move house next year I'm gonna get another fermenter and another fridge for it, so I can have two batches going a few days apart and essentially double my production. Might stop me from having to buy beer every 5-6 weeks.

Kelsey I don't get why your current brewing schedule doesn't keep continuous beer on tap.  I read before how you wait for all three kegs to be filled before tapping.  Is there a good reason for this?  My friends tap a keg as soon as it is filled and once it is carbed, it is ready to drink so they have continuous brew --> fermenter --> keg.

Or is it that you and friend's consumption of beer outstrips supply?

confused.

Archived