Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I’m drinking my first Irish dry stout. It’s finally got to a carb point that was intended.

Im actually really proud of this beer. After trying a few good stouts and doing a lot of research into the grains of what goes into but more so, the flavours I don’t like. 

Its slightly coffee like, hints of chocolate, herby and just a tiny hint of citrus. Plus clean and dry.

My wife even said, wow, that’s a good beer.

69FB2C35-FC47-4D44-81EC-455266742DA3.jpeg

Had a few tonight,

Toucan Stout- It's Gud. A bit over carbed (1 carb drop per king brown ?) There is an explanation for aged beers being over carbed somewhere, just can't remember.... I get around this by pouring a pint about half an hour before I want to drink it ?.

https://allinnbrewingco.com/project/rapid-descent-fwk/

My first FWK.  Easy to brew.  Cost effective compared to a K & B brew.  Drinks like an ESB.  Crystal clear in the glass.

Cheers,

Dave  

Bottled my classic American pale ale today after turning it into a slushy a couple of weeks ago. Sample was amazing. Just as I wanted it and designed the beer to be like. 

Conditioning in my freezer now so hopefully ready by the time I get back from work 

Captain

I sampled a few of my Centennial DIPL over the weekend. After 2 weeks in the bottle I thought I'd better get stuck in before the dry hops start to fall off. It smells and tastes so good, just intense floral and grapefruit from the hops and a hint of caramel in the background. This was based on the Mexican Cerveza kit, so didn't attenuate quite as well as an all grain beer would, but it's really tasty.

I also had an APA kit based Stout with a bunch of roasted malt and fermented with the Coopers CCA yeast. It's been in the bottle for maybe 8 months now and is absolutely delicious at this point. 

So kits and bits for the win this last weekend! 

Cheers, 

John

As expected, the blended keg ran out over the weekend on Sunday night, so I've just got what's left in the German lager keg to go then I'm all out. It is tasting bloody nice now though. There is a Waimea pale ale keg ready to go into the fridge, and another lager currently 5 days into fermentation so I'll be buying beer for a couple of weeks and then the pale ale should be ready. I'll stick it in the fridge when I clean out the mini keg and start carbonating it so it's ready to go when the lager goes in for further lagering and carbonation.

Cheers

Kelsey

On 7/24/2018 at 10:55 PM, The Captain1525230099 said:

Good beer? Taste as good as your other versions?

I was quite excited to see Riwaka back in our hop fridge once more even if it was a tiny amount (a mere 1kg). It hasn't been in stock for well over a year.  A couple of bad seasons weather-wise here in NZ meant it has been in short supply and consequently much sought after, and I suspect NZ LHBS's are low on the list when it comes to allocation!  As it happens the last 100g pack just sold today and that'll be it 'til next year!

This Golden Ale is pretty good but I have to admit I'm not getting the same vibe from the Riwaka that I did a couple of years ago.  I remember then thinking "wow!" but now... it's just seems OK.   It's a simple grain bill and single hop beer so in that regard a pretty "one-dimensional" brew I guess, but it's clean, crisp and easy-drinking so it's certainly going down well, I'm just not really feeling the same heightened level of buzz that I remember from this hop.  ?

21 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

I was quite excited to see Riwaka back in our hop fridge once more even if it was a tiny amount (a mere 1kg). It hasn't been in stock for well over a year. 

I have been searching for it for a while to do a Pirate Life IPA clone and finally found some. Ordered 250 grams. 

I sampled a bottle of my Aramis Pils v2 (lite). 1.040 OG and 30 IBU vs the sensational original version's 1.050 OG and 50 IBU.

It is not watery and insipid like I thought it would be. There is a beautiful malt sweetness that comes through (Voyager Compass malt is awesome for pale lagers), plenty of lovely Aramis character and a cleansing bitterness.

In fact I think the bitterness almost stands out a little more in this version, despite the theoretically lower BU:GU ratio. I think this could be due to a combination of no-chill and an increased flameout hop addition (40g vs 30g - increased in lieu of a dry hop). It could also be that the perception of BU:GU is non-linear WRT GU, but I have not thought this through yet.

Anyway it's yummy, and was the perfect counterpoint to a buttery chicken and truffle risotto kindly cooked by my wife's friend.

Cheers, 

John

3 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

I sampled a bottle of my Aramis Pils v2 (lite). 1.040 OG and 30 IBU vs the sensational original version's 1.050 OG and 50 IBU.

It is not watery and insipid like I thought it would be. There is a beautiful malt sweetness that comes through (Voyager Compass malt is awesome for pale lagers), plenty of lovely Aramis character and a cleansing bitterness.

In fact I think the bitterness almost stands out a little more in this version, despite the theoretically lower BU:GU ratio. I think this could be due to a combination of no-chill and an increased flameout hop addition (40g vs 30g - increased in lieu of a dry hop). It could also be that the perception of BU:GU is non-linear WRT GU, but I have not thought this through yet.

Anyway it's yummy, and was the perfect counterpoint to a buttery chicken and truffle risotto kindly cooked by my wife's friend.

BU:GU is definitely non-linear across the board. Malt & hop types have a major impact on how bitterness is perceived at the glass despite IBU number calculations. Unfortunately today many home brewers bank their bitterness @ the glass credits in the IBU numbers their brewing software/calculators spit out & then expect certain outcomes at the glass & are often bemused & disappointed.

In your case John the 'clean' Pilsner malt base with a fair whack of back-end bittering with the hop you are using is going to present in a more obvious way @ 1.040 GU vs 30 BU. As an example of the area you are in, I've done a 3.5% Session IPA that had a 1.035-36 OG & predominantly backend bittered to 36 IBU, so your not far off those numbers & feel at the glass.

I'm glad the lower ABV% version has turned out well. Love your work! ?

The risotto sounds lovely. I do a pretty mean initial pan fried, then slow cooker made risotto myself actually! ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

11 hours ago, Beerlust said:

BU:GU is definitely non-linear across the board. Malt & hop types have a major impact on how bitterness is perceived at the glass despite IBU number calculations. Unfortunately today many home brewers bank their bitterness @ the glass credits in the IBU numbers their brewing software/calculators spit out & then expect certain outcomes at the glass & are often bemused & disappointed.

Hi Lusty, 

I fully agree with this, however in this case an identical malt, hop and yeast strain was used in both beers. I was thinking... along with increased malt flavour, a higher OG will produce more alcohol sweetness, which would upset ratio comparisons somewhat. Also dry hopping can increase the perception of sweetness due to a 'hop sweetness' phenomenon. 

This experience tells me that for my next 1.050 pilsner I should target 60 IBU and see how that turns out.

Cheers, 

John

I just tried my Route 66 Session Ale. Wow! It was so damn tasty! This was the beer i made using 100% Pilsner malt and some leftover hops. Citra, Centennial, Mosaic and Amarillo. Its low IBU, light bodied and very very smashable. The only problem i have is that i only put 1 stubbie in the fridge this morning!

1 hour ago, Rowbrew said:

I just tried my Route 66 Session Ale. Wow! It was so damn tasty! This was the beer i made using 100% Pilsner malt and some leftover hops. Citra, Centennial, Mosaic and Amarillo. Its low IBU, light bodied and very very smashable. The only problem i have is that i only put 1 stubbie in the fridge this morning!

Rookie mistake ha ha ha?

Ive been waiting to hear how this one turned out. 

Good on ya Rowan

Haha, I know right! Cheers Kirk. I also just polished off my very last ANZAC NEIPA. I think its been about 11 weeks since i bottled it, while the dry hop aroma is nearly all gone it has smoothed out alot and it drank very nicely. Might just have to do another very soon.

Cheers!

Still got my German lager on tap but I figure the keg is getting low as it foams a little more at the start of the pour. I've noticed this happen before with kegs nearing the end. In any case, it's tasting bloody good after however many weeks it's been cold. I've lost count but it'd be somewhere around 8-9 weeks now I'd guess. Pity it's probably nearly empty!

Going to get stuck in to my latest brew that's come up for drinking today. Its 37 days in P.E.T.

Coopers Draught kit

1kg LDM

200gDex

Brewed to 23litres

was supposed to be a lager but failed to harvest the amount of slurry I was aiming for so pitched kit yeast(ale) and 100mls washed w-34/70 at 18°C  with 13 days in FV including 'd' rest and 6 day cold crash.

Won't be making a recipe so bland again in a hurry as it is just too dry and not much flavour, O.G 1.041 and F.G 1.005

It's got good head, excellent clarity and great carbonation using raw sugar but otherwise very bland compared to my last two brews with added hops. 

To me it tastes a bit like champagne. Oh well, it is better than my first brew ? 

I've got my 1st toucan batch almost ready for drinking now too so I'll be able to age this lot up and they might get better ?

Anyway, Have a great weekend all.

Cheers, LeeIMG_20180728_095411.thumb.jpg.6e39ab6a3f96a3b25bbeb24df8186689.jpg

Archived