Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a home brewing demo night at my church yesterday. A friend did a mill / mash / fly sparge demo and talk, burgers off the BBQ for dinner and a few people brought along samples of their beer. I brought along some of my Aramis Pils and Centennial DIPL and enjoyed sampling a friend's beer which used 2 types of his homemade crystal malt. So that was a nice evening. 

Cheers, 

John

I’m drinking the brother in law’s ESB. It has only been in the bottle for two weeks so it needs a little more time but it is pretty good. It has been a while since I had made a kit beer and I was looking forward to tasting it.

It has the nice caramel sweetness that some English beers have but with the firm bitterness to support it. It should be really good in 2-3 weeks.

1AA0BF2D-3EF2-4ECB-9A15-DCBC86479271.thumb.jpeg.7070bcc97d4af4a923ca9140ac9c8106.jpeg

Cool bunch of beer pics posted recently guys! I don't think I've done so many likes in one hit as I have today. Great stuff! ?

It's always nice to see the visual representations of what we all work so hard to produce.

Keep 'em coming.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

58 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I’m drinking the brother in law’s ESB. It has only been in the bottle for two weeks so it needs a little more time but it is pretty good. It has been a while since I had made a kit beer and I was looking forward to tasting it.

It has the nice caramel sweetness that some English beers have but with the firm bitterness to support it. It should be really good in 2-3 weeks.

1AA0BF2D-3EF2-4ECB-9A15-DCBC86479271.thumb.jpeg.7070bcc97d4af4a923ca9140ac9c8106.jpeg

I went to a BBQ with my two brother in laws today and they were raving about how good Great Northern and Iron Jack are.........

I was disgusted with them. 

3 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I went to a BBQ with my two brother in laws today and they were raving about how good Great Northern and Iron Jack are.........

I was disgusted with them. 

You are right to be disgusted but it means more craft beer for us.

My hoppy pale with Amarillo bittered with Warrior. Changed out my typical Munich for Vienna and this is also my first yeast batch via “the Kelsey starter method.” 

This is by far a better product. It’s crisp, clean and no noticeable defects. 

Im very happy, not just with the recipe but now having a yeast method that works for me, producing a better product than I had before.

E9DE5C56-3429-4F68-A92F-B49055844E39.jpeg

Glad to hear it worked for you Kirk! I've found it to be a reliable process of achieving a decent yeast pitch and easy harvesting for reuse. I'll have to replace my 1469 soon, but once I do that I'll have three strains all around the same generations, might not have to buy yeast again for a couple of years if I'm lucky, other than some S-04 for a porter I want to brew next year.

I am having a glass of my Waimea pale ale at the moment, still tasting good. The keg will probably run out over the weekend though, and I'll have to go to the lager. These single hop pale ales are a bit one dimensional though, so once I finish up on this current lot of experiments I will have to get back into some hop combo pales for summer drinking.

It certainly makes a difference. The biggest thing I've noticed other than the overall improvement and consistency of the beer from batch to batch is the high predictability of the fermentation. They almost always behave exactly the same way in terms of how long each stage takes, which makes the process a hell of a lot easier.

On 8/26/2018 at 5:37 PM, Beerlust said:

Cool bunch of beer pics posted recently guys! I don't think I've done so many likes in one hit as I have today. Great stuff! ?

The new format makes it so much easier to upload photos, & i agree mate some beautiful looking brews.  Now everyone need to check the phone if your last 6 photos was beer then your hooked lol.

The Waimea pale ale keg blew last night so just got the lager now. I'll probably end up buying a carton one weekend but with the brown ale kegged and the other pale ale going into the fermenter soon, it won't be long before I'll have two full kegs and the full 10L blended keg ready to go. Still can't wait to move and set up a second fermentation fridge though ?

Archived