Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

An experimental Bitter.   This one I used one of the new LME's from Black Rock - "Crystal".  They also released 1.7kg cans of "Blonde" (100% Lager Malt) which I've used a few times now and and one called "Creamy Brown". 

With this brew I also incorporated a small amount of crystal grains, light & dark.  Probably a mistake as it seems there's more than enough in the can!  This is one seriously crystal-heavy beer!  Certainly not my favourite bitter but some folks may like this full-on caramel malt vibe.  ? 

Bitter.JPG

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

@BlackSands

Whats the clear part between the head and the beer? 

Yeah... I spotted that after I posted!  But couldn't edit the post. Seems the edit function is not always available?    

It's a exposure-merging 'glitch'.  This is an HDR shot and for some weird reason the merging has resulted in that very even looking band.  Should look more like this: 

Bitter-2.thumb.JPG.3291d6dba715e201a2849f918ccab331.JPG

I am drinking a 3 bolt pale ale from Green Beacon, it is nice, the can says passionfruit and mango with some malt sweetness, it has all of that. Nice beer. I will buy more of this whenever I am away from my supply.

If I had to guess I would say galaxy and centennial? Maybe citra? I am horrible with hop aromas. Maybe some slight esters or maybe the it is the malt sweetness I am picking up? Either way nice beer.

Norris

20180925_172134.jpg

2 hours ago, Norris! said:

I am drinking a 3 bolt pale ale from Green Beacon, it is nice, the can says passionfruit and mango with some malt sweetness, it has all of that. Nice beer. I will buy more of this whenever I am away from my supply.

If I had to guess I would say galaxy and centennial? Maybe citra? I am horrible with hop aromas. Maybe some slight esters or maybe the it is the malt sweetness I am picking up? Either way nice beer.

Norris

I used to work just around the corner from GB and that was one of my staples.

Im pretty sure its galaxy but I never asked.

The Wayfarer and Seven Bells go down pretty nice when you have to go to a late afternoon meeting.?

Jamie

Had a test glass of my brown ale last night. Initial impression is reasonably good, nice malt flavor and well balanced. Head retention shit, but that could have been the glass itself. I'm not sure but there may have been a slight banana like flavor in it too, so I'm thinking I'll replace the 1469, and the big stout will be fermented with 1056 as I need to get the starter happening today and CBF driving to Craftbrewer. ABV tolerance is higher too which is useful for a 1.086 OG wort.

My Mocktoberfest ale is 5 days old in the keg now - was in the FV for 5 weeks due to working away (was at 1-2 degC for 3 weeks though).

I think it is the carafa III and caramunich that I am loving.  - never used them before that I can remember.

The beer is really smooth and nutty, a lot smoother than all the dark ales I have made with Choc malt, and crystal combo.

Maybe as well because it is only bittered to 23IBUs, I mainly aim for 30-35 with my dark ales - ESBs etc, but it's so smooth it is unbelievable!

Was pale ale, Munich, Vienna, caramunich and carafa, bit of Hallertau for flavour - it is a beautiful colour too.

Will get a pic today at beer o'clock 

Thinking of renaming it Klopp-toberfest, (any EPL / Liverpool fans will get this!) due to the best start to a season in 30 odd years ! 

Love it when a plan comes together, happy days!!

Cheers

James 

@James Lao I am stinging to see a photo of this Oktoberfest you brewed. I think I might put one of the brew schedule. Had a couple of German ones (Spaten and Paul nee) and enjoyed them tonight.

Followed them with a bottle of my IPA that I entered into the state comp. I opened my first bottle same day it was judged. 2 weeks in bottle, bottle-conditioned. @Beerlust it was the definition of GREEN! My score reflected the youth of this beer and I will not enter young, green beers in future. I did rush this one out to make the cut off for the comp.

The one tonight is much better, 4 weeks in bottle but I anticipate it will be at its prime at 6 weeks.

Just had to share this lacing photo. Didn't expect that from a home brew.

05A42DD4-C38C-490B-8857-C74304E1444D.jpeg

20 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

as I need to get the starter happening today and CBF driving to Craftbrewer. ABV tolerance is higher too which is useful for a 1.086 OG wort.

Well this didn't happen. I forgot about the brew fridge not being set to cold yet so no way of crashing the starter... will have to wait for the lager to be at lagering temps before i get into that.

Will endeavor to get a decent pic tonight!

Did take some yesterday arvo but wasn’t happy with them!

The camera/phone  just doesn’t do the  beers any justice, same as with a majestic sweeping landscape - just can’t truly capture the beauty and depth of it! Haha

The Beer is on the darker side, but the picture on the Brewmart site is a ruby-ish looking beer (Octoberfest/Marzen).

Didnt realize Octoberfests were quite as dark?

Still bloody delish though, gonna go  caramunich and carafa for dark beers now on and keep them maxed to 25 IBUs. 

Not cloying, just smooth with a nice bit of nuttiness to it.

Yum

Archived