Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Thanks mate. The wonders of cold conditioning with isinglass and polyclar ?

The lacing on the glass is pretty decent for a lager too. Nothing added like the megaswill breweries do, just a mash rest at 72 degrees.

IMG_20180901_144103.thumb.jpg.c502c5ea6a7e844d2345c4f5daba9c1d.jpg

Hey Kelsey,

Is there much difference with using Isinglass/Polyclar than Gelatine?

12 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Hey Kelsey,

Is there much difference with using Isinglass/Polyclar than Gelatine?

The biggest difference I found is isinglass results in a compacted sediment where gelatine makes it fluffy/jelly like. I use isinglass for yeast and polyclar for chill haze. I prefer it over gelatine.

My mosaic pale ale. I wanted it a bit hazy and it ended up hazy which was a bonus. It was 80% pale malt, 15% oats and 5% caramunich 1. The only hop I used was mosaic and it is tasty but a bit plain. It has been in the keg for 5 days but needs a few more days to carb up that little bit more. 

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads!!!

5421BC0D-AFDB-45AC-9200-35E92FE2DD96.jpeg

10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The biggest difference I found is isinglass results in a compacted sediment where gelatine makes it fluffy/jelly like. I use isinglass for yeast and polyclar for chill haze. I prefer it over gelatine.

Thanks mate, i'll look into it a bit more as i do like a nice clarity on my lager's etc.

Cheers,
Hoppy

2 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Thanks mate, i'll look into it a bit more as i do like a nice clarity on my lager's etc.

Cheers,
Hoppy

No worries. I only use isinglass because I'm kegging. If I was bottling I wouldn't bother as the yeast drops out well enough in bottles by itself, but in kegs I like to minimise the sediment as much as possible. These agents are used in the fermenter during the cold crash.

Tasting great thanks @Otto Von Blotto ,  and cheers @Rowbrew

I haven't had much experience tasting this type of beer so all I have to compare it to is the 6 pack of Pilsner Urquell I tried a couple weeks ago. It has less flavour than the Urquell, but for my taste it's pretty good and I'd much rather drink mine as a session beer than the original. Next time I'll do a hop boil or steep with more hops than the 25g I used in this one and see how that goes. But I'll see how this one ages before I make that call.

Cheers, Lee ?

Archived