Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

Early taster of my German lager. Same recipe as today's brew in the brew day thread. It cold conditioned in the fermenter for nearly two weeks, and has continued in the keg for about another week or so. I'll leave it alone for another month now, but it's tasting good already. Nice subtle hop flavour and a little aroma there too. Typical Euro lager I suppose but just with a bit more flavour.

IMG_20180623_110301.thumb.jpg.a168c49685368c4838cc3653c20a3b31.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 beers on the go right now.

Calypso Pale ale and American Brown Porter. Not so sure about the porter, for me its just a brown ale. Does not have the chocolate/coffee flavours coming through like any porter i have made in the past. Good beer however.

20180623_155451.jpg

I sampled my Mosaic Rye lager last night after a week in the bottle. Needs a bit more time but encouraging that it is on the right track. Fairly gentle bitterness lets the malt flavour come through nicely, has more body than I would expect for the 1.041 OG and the Mosaic comes through really well and is a good fit, not a one dimensional hop at all.

I don't get a huge amount of flavour from the rye malt, there's something there that wouldn't come from the base malt or crystal malt, but I think it must be providing some extra body. 

It's not an in your face beer, but there's plenty of flavour there to enjoy. The Sam Adams Boston Lager I had afterwards was fairy disappointing in comparison. Maybe that was just the contrast though, the Boston Lager I had today after cutting down a tree tasted a bit better. But I think just about anything would have tasted good at that point. 

Cheers, 

John

Trying my newest pale.

Taiheke, Idaho #7, and Nelson Sauvin.

Its a standard malt bill apart from some crystal oat. 

Ive had a couple of stubbies yesterday and were fully carbed, this one out of a king brown is slightly under carbed but will be great when I get back from work next week.

The hop flavour is great, quite piney with a hint of citrus. And the crystal oat gives it a smooth nutty kinda flavour. 

The crystal oat gives it a slickness kinda like Diacetyl but not like Diacetyl. It’s just a smoothness without the “oil slick”, “butter” on your tongue that Diacetyl gives you. 

Its finished quite dry however a little too bitter for my liking. This’ll fade a little over the next few weeks and probably be just a little too bitter than a bit OTT. 

Also, I have not change my brewing practices what so ever and have no idea why this is so clear.

Either way. Nice beer

563B051E-ED87-4DD4-B5A0-44FC01148C88.jpeg

American IPA i did 6 weeks back. Has been sitting in the garage at serving pressure for the last 2 weeks and tapped last night. Very nice and will be much better when carb level comes up.

20180630_092315.jpg

~8 months ago

Racked 10L of a toucan Stout onto 15g French oak chips for 10 days.

@ Packaging added a shot (30Ml) of JW Double Black to 6 Tallies (King Browns, 750Ml bottles whatever you call them) and a shot (30Ml) Bundy UP Rum (Cane cutters Cordial) to the remaining 6 Tallies. (Primed at 1 Carb drop)

Tried the JW Double black tonight.........

Black Gold ??

Cheers,

Dave

1 hour ago, Koo wee brew said:

~8 months ago

@ Packaging added a shot (30Ml) of JW Double Black to 6 Tallies (King Browns, 750Ml bottles whatever you call them) and a shot (30Ml) Bundy UP Rum (Cane cutters Cordial) to the remaining 6 Tallies. (Primed at 1 Carb drop)

Black Gold ??

Cheers,

Dave

Bourbon vanilla stout. Sounds delicious 

Captain

1 hour ago, Koo wee brew said:

~8 months ago

Black Gold ??

Cheers,

Dave

Bourbon vanillan stout. Sounds delicious 

Captain

Archived