Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I had another crack at my Bootmaker kit + Chinook steep which has aged a while now.. I've had a love hate relationship with it but it was delicious this time round.. Enjoyed it much more than the 4 Pines ESB I drank straight after.  Also working on the 'Bridge the Gap' ROTM which is my first brew bottled in glass stubbies.  I think I got something wrong with this one, it's hoppy to the point where it's practically fruit juice, but not in a good way.  Maybe it's the hop combo or the fact that I used all the dry hop additions as flameout.  At least it's interesting I guess

Drinking quite a few different varieties at the moment.

An English Bitter with Choc malt and Special roast dry hopped with Styrian Goldings, Absolutely sensational.

Family secret ale with Carared, Hopped with Simcoe and Pacific Jade, pretty smooth

86 Days pilsner with Carapils and Hallertau, Very nice

Carribean Porter, Not to bad at all

Cheers,

Hoppy

I think it's time for me to do another English Bitter, it has been a while. Love the Choc Malt Styrian combo ?

10 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Drinking quite a few different varieties at the moment.

An English Bitter with Choc malt and Special roast dry hopped with Styrian Goldings, Absolutely sensational.

Family secret ale with Carared, Hopped with Simcoe and Pacific Jade, pretty smooth

86 Days pilsner with Carapils and Hallertau, Very nice

Carribean Porter, Not to bad at all

Cheers,

Hoppy

2 minutes ago, Scottie said:

I think it's time for me to do another English Bitter, it has been a while. Love the Choc Malt Styrian combo ?

It really works well scottie, here is the actual recipe.

Coopers English Bitter
1.5kg Amber malt extract
500g dme
100g choc malt
50g special roast
30g Styrian Goldings dry hop
kit yeast & Nottingham rehydrated

20180506_204804.jpg

So I don't have anything new on tap at the moment but I did do some mucking around on Saturday trying to make a black and tan. I read a bit about how to make them, but only one write up actually said why they work - the less dense beer needs to be poured in on top. Most of the time they're using Guinness (dry) stout which is about as dense as Corona, but my dark ale is a higher FG than my paler styles so it wasn't working.

In the end I decided to pour the dark ale in first, and then used a bottle of Grolsch for the top layer of lighter beer. Behold, the reverse black and tan: ?

278246552_ReverseBlackandTan.thumb.jpg.5cd0b40ff7d0c475c6c05dd3b0c3cf9e.jpg

On 5/6/2018 at 6:57 AM, Ben 10 said:

It will when I watch what I eat too mate!

Haha! Substituting beer for food!

No more pork roasts for you! ?

On 5/6/2018 at 6:55 AM, Beervis said:

...I think I got something wrong with this one, it's hoppy to the point where it's practically fruit juice, but not in a good way.  Maybe it's the hop combo or the fact that I used all the dry hop additions as flameout.

Yes.

Also some nice looking ESB's there guys. Congrats.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

It's my Doppelbock particle brew evening, so I am sitting down to enjoy one of my 9% Imperial Milk Stouts now that the boil for my second running batch is well under way. I can't think of a better beer for a cool evening than this, it's so rich, smooth and moreish. I've only got a 4-pack left after this, and I don't think it will see the winter out.

So not drinking anything for another 10 days due to some antibiotics that can’t be taken with alcohol.

However bottled my latest version of my Pacific Ale today and tasted the sample. 

This one was cube hopped at 85 degrees and this is by far the fruitiest I’ve tasted. Obviously carbonation will cut out a lot of this fruitiness but excited to taste the end product.

This was also dry hopped using Lusty’s dishcloth method and squeezing all the goodness out into the fermenter and I must say this is also the most aromatic beer I’ve made.

Thanks to all on here for the knowledge over the last 12 months which has got me to this point thus far.

Captain.

Definitely a fan of cube hopping now. I have a Rakau pale ale that's going into the keg today and will be sampling on Friday night that was cube hopped. FG samples tasted awesome and they were prior to the dry hop too (it went in after the second sample). Looking forward to it, and will also be putting the main portion of the brown ale batch on the other tap.

So bottled my second cube hopped hoppy pale today.  I tasted the sample and yes it’s definitely more bitter than I expected however it’s a lot more hoppy which is what I’ve wanted. 

Previously I had been putting more and more hops in to get that hoppy taste but just couldn’t hit it. I was adding so much hops that I was getting vegetal flavours popping through. 

Dropping the temp to 85 for the cube hop is  giving me the taste I wanted. Well, I hope so as I haven’t got it in the glass yet.

This one is definitely going to be bitter so it’ll taste more like an American pale than a hoppy pale ha ha ha which I’m more than happy with.

Cheers

Captain

I sampled my Aramis pils tonight. It hasn't been in the bottle for even 2 weeks yet, so it is a bit unfair to evaluate yet. It will definitely improve with a bit more time. 

However, even at this point it is the best pils I have tasted (vs other home brews, stale imports and Aussie craft beers). There is a real floral hoppiness to it, balanced with a nice malt character and a touch of sweetness and a satisfying solid bitterness that cleans everything off your tongue ready for another sip. Good thing I only put one in the fridge because I could drink a lot of this. 

Now that I know it has turned out OK I can leave the rest of the batch in the back of a cold cupboard for a few weeks before sampling again.

Cheers, 

John

54 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

I sampled my Aramis pils tonight. It hasn't been in the bottle for even 2 weeks yet, so it is a bit unfair to evaluate yet. It will definitely improve with a bit more time. 

However, even at this point it is the best pils I have tasted (vs other home brews, stale imports and Aussie craft beers). There is a real floral hoppiness to it, balanced with a nice malt character and a touch of sweetness and a satisfying solid bitterness that cleans everything off your tongue ready for another sip. Good thing I only put one in the fridge because I could drink a lot of this. 

Now that I know it has turned out OK I can leave the rest of the batch in the back of a cold cupboard for a few weeks before sampling again.

Cheers, 

John

Hey John,

Ive been eagerly waiting for the results on this one.

Real happy for ya mate.

Captain

Archived