Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

I was going to keg a Duvel AG clone that’s been cold crashing for 25 days. Didn’t seem to work clearing it at all - it looks like (at best) a hazy IPA or (more accurately) river Ganges water. On top of that as it warmed up the airlock started bubbling - it’s currently at 1.007. It still has a slight sweetness to it so I think I’ll put it in the boiler room at 25 degrees for a few more days. I brewed it on 1st August 😳

3C77ECBE-7477-465D-9604-163DFB3A1C31.jpeg

E92877C8-9CE0-483D-B0DB-A825622CD576.jpeg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, stquinto said:

I was going to keg a Duvel AG clone that’s been cold crashing for 25 days. Didn’t seem to work clearing it at all - it looks like (at best) a hazy IPA or (more accurately) river Ganges water. On top of that as it warmed up the airlock started bubbling - it’s currently at 1.007. It still has a slight sweetness to it so I think I’ll put it in the boiler room at 25 degrees for a few more days. I brewed it on 1st August

Hopefully the bubbling is just the air inside the fermenter expanding as it warms up.

Is the yeast you used supposed to be a good flocculator? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hopefully the bubbling is just the air inside the fermenter expanding as it warms up.

Is the yeast you used supposed to be a good flocculator? 

Hey Shamus, cheers, didn’t think of that. The yeast was originally a MJ41, but on its third go. I think, but there could have been a WYeast 1388 in the original run. I’ll check the lock tomorrow, and the FG. Judging by the primeval soup it looks like, I might have some finings in unless it buggers up the yeast for the next brew

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Hey Shamus, cheers, didn’t think of that. The yeast was originally a MJ41, but on its third go. I think, but there could have been a WYeast 1388 in the original run. I’ll check the lock tomorrow, and the FG. Judging by the primeval soup it looks like, I might have some finings in unless it buggers up the yeast for the next brew

That is something that has always made me wonder, re-using yeasts all of the time, obviously it works & there isn't any reason why it wouldn't. I have even done it but I would be reluctant to use the same yeast 2 or 3 times especially if they are different.

But that's only my thoughts.

• Like 1

G'day Brewing Legends 🙂

Kegged the 'Creamy Ale' to be hopefully... and washed the FV out finally... did a few dirty backfills and thought it was time.

Was pressed for time so did normal old food grade white Si hose quick fill... and bumped the Coopers FV and that silly ledge above the tap kindly dropped all its yeast into the hose... guess will flocc out in the keg : \

Have got the Nitro Beergas mix on at 40PSI plus and will take at least 4-5 days....  @RDT2 RD and @stquinto Sainter any of you Nitro Brewing mates out there do you find that it takes a while to gas up the Nitro Beers?  I don't like leaving the gas on but it takes an age and seems to be the only way - besides disconnecting and re-connecting every time the pressure drops but am a bit concerned about the state of the Gas Disconnect and Nitro gas post...  ah dear.  See how we go hey.  Hopefully will become something taschty 👍

Seems like every last beer for an age has been blaaardy Amber so hopefully next few I can change the regulator colour haha!  

image.thumb.png.0d20e1e055caac13ea4059d9be4dface.png 

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Seems like every last beer for an age has been blaaardy Amber so hopefully next few I can change the REGULATION colour haha!  

Blllllardy predictive text and auto-speller wwwwttttffff 🏴‍☠️ anyway.... was not supposed to be "REGULATOR" you beastly computer machinery 👽 and of course I cannot go back and edit things to correct...

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Yeah, what is that? For dummies like me who are not word smiths the edit button is my friend.....but alas always gone too quickly. 😂

I agree

I'm guessing that it's about not changing content after people have read and commented on it.

My spelling is shocking, lost without the "Dictionary" sitting next to me (Wife is good at words)!

• Haha 4

On 9/7/2022 at 8:10 AM, Itinerant Peasant said:

G'day Brewing Legends 🙂

Kegged the 'Creamy Ale' to be hopefully... and washed the FV out finally... did a few dirty backfills and thought it was time.

Was pressed for time so did normal old food grade white Si hose quick fill... and bumped the Coopers FV and that silly ledge above the tap kindly dropped all its yeast into the hose... guess will flocc out in the keg : \

Have got the Nitro Beergas mix on at 40PSI plus and will take at least 4-5 days....  @RDT2 RD and @stquinto Sainter any of you Nitro Brewing mates out there do you find that it takes a while to gas up the Nitro Beers?  I don't like leaving the gas on but it takes an age and seems to be the only way - besides disconnecting and re-connecting every time the pressure drops but am a bit concerned about the state of the Gas Disconnect and Nitro gas post...  ah dear.  See how we go hey.  Hopefully will become something taschty 👍

Seems like every last beer for an age has been blaaardy Amber so hopefully next few I can change the regulator colour haha!  

image.thumb.png.0d20e1e055caac13ea4059d9be4dface.png 

Sorry IP mate, I missed the question.

For me I've been underwhelmed with my experience of the nitro blend. I did a bit of googling and read about keeping it at 40 psi. As you noticed , the bubbles aren't as small as they should be. Someone mentioned the colour of the head (mine's brown, not creamy white) might be down to the lighting.

So basically I carbed it up with CO2 for a week at 12 psi, now serve it with the blend (at 40 psi), which is 70% N2 and 30% CO2. 

So far it's a bit "meh"....

😒

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

35 minutes ago, stquinto said:

For me I've been underwhelmed with my experience of the nitro blend. I did a bit of googling and read about keeping it at 40 psi. As you noticed , the bubbles aren't as small as they should be. Someone mentioned the colour of the head (mine's brown, not creamy white) might be down to the lighting.

So basically I carbed it up with CO2 for a week at 12 psi, now serve it with the blend (at 40 psi), which is 70% N2 and 30% CO2. 

😒

Just to check, Sainter:  Are you pouring it through a stout tap/spout or just a regular tap?  I got good results using CO2 through a stout spout.  Pushing a Nitro mix through should be even better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Just to check, Sainter:  Are you pouring it through a stout tap/spout or just a regular tap?  I got good results using CO2 through a stout spout.  Pushing a Nitro mix through should be even better.

Hey Shamus, yes, I have the stout spout (but it’s a regular tap). The one with the disk with holes in it etc. I need a fourth tap  so will probably get the upright stout one. 
👍

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stquinto said:

😒

Sorry for not replying earlier as I wasn’t sure if my nitro was pure nitro and it appears it is. I have it down the back of my kegerator so it’s hard to read/access. With mine I have carbed on co2 and served on what appears to be pure nitro with good results as pictured. I am wondering with yours being a blend you need to carb with the blend as opposed to co2 initially??? You appear to have too much co2 in the head. I am no expert but just a thought. I serve mine with the nukatap and stout spout!!3063B885-C7D9-4399-923F-98B2687FF3DB.thumb.jpeg.709e0fafd596fdd259050b53fbf4868b.jpeg

629CCE98-0F9A-4BA6-B95B-4340B457AD57.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good discussion @stquinto @Shamus O'Sean @RDT2

14 hours ago, stquinto said:

70% N2 and 30% CO2

Think mine is that too.

But I have found if you whack a bit of CO2 in - not too much - it can help things along the way.   Too much = Icecream through the Stout Tap which has the perforated plate (in its workings) for additional turbulence/frothing to assist tiny bubble formation (I believe that this is the case).

image.png.af3292d8a6b48a245ddc75016517e342.png

@stquinto Sainter - if I gassed mine up at 12 PSI for a week - and then pushed it w Beergas Nitro Mix -- I think I would generate icecream.

Anyway....  it does seem something is not quite right with your bubble structure... you can see from @RDT2 RD's the creamy top... which obviously you know all about... 

As RD notes above it does look like you have plenty CO2 and not the Nitro influence... it's just if I have gassed up too heavily with CO2... I generate icecream through my Stout Tap... 

image.png.01d4e10b6d937829bad24946c82f3f1d.png

But yeah am no expert - just something does not appear to be working spot on... and maybe like the others above suggest - maybe it is your Stout Tap Stout Spout that is not quite doing what it is meant to maybe?

Will post my creamy Ale on the drinking thread shortly....  it fortunately seems to be working ok... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kegged the Frühlingskellarbier : )

Been a bit hurried the last few times and so did not use the best-in-class transfer method.... just belted it through in the white hose into a CO2 purged clean and sterilised keggler  : )

Bottled some Dubbya Yeast Cake and gave the FV a good wash and sterilise... 

Might brew up again on the Weekend... see how we go : )

Another Amber Beer.... might have to have a chat to the Brewery's Beer Selection Panel to see if we can get some other colours other than Amber into IP Amber Brewing Enterprises ; )

image.png.e0f7b8d06f5fdbdc990b802f524bae87.png

• Like 7

This is my version of the same. I added two filters as well, a bit redundant as I cold crashed (but only for 24 hours).The bugger’s just fizzed up on me, even though it’s cold. Seemed to be going too well …

Fermzilla is a nice bit of kit, I concur 

D5C69030-10B7-4A72-A7F0-3941BA51D584.jpeg

52C8DABA-B0A0-497B-9781-16D9C62A064D.jpeg

E02B0DC1-9B83-46DB-BCA0-3E8146DED9A9.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 4

From the other fermentor (it was a 35l batch) I set aside a few for the neighbour’s son, he’s sparky who’s helped me out a bit. Wouldn’t take cash but he’ll take a slab of APA 😉

Even put Swiss caps on for him (not seen Aussie crown caps here)

9A939695-2E7B-4505-86EC-6362C812BF64.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
  • Haha 3