Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

Getting on with my woodwork project. I’m not the best chippie in town, but the end result ends up functioning if obviously home-made 😳

The only problem I have with DIY stuff is plumbing- it always ends up with a plumber coming by, the only difference is if I’ve had a go first or not 🤣 (never touch electrics, ain’t that stupid)

8FE629DE-BA23-4B16-BE04-6056D40848FB.jpeg

7F49918F-10BD-4DE1-B523-004E1FF9451A.jpeg

• Like 11

7 hours ago, stquinto said:

Getting on with my woodwork project. I’m not the best chippie in town, but the end result ends up functioning if obviously home-made 😳

The only problem I have with DIY stuff is plumbing- it always ends up with a plumber coming by, the only difference is if I’ve had a go first or not 🤣 (never touch electrics, ain’t that stupid)

Great work Stqiunta looks the biz, there's room for 4 or 5 more taps but I guess it depends on how many kegs you can fit inside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@stquinto great job there bloke.  Just a tip.  I used to put folded up paper towel pieces under each keg as I put the new kegs into the keezer, just to soak up any condensate that forms but found they turned to mush and were hard to remove / clean up.  Now I line the bottom of my keezer with an old beach towel or two and when it gets saturated temporarily remove kegs and replace towel with a clean one.  You could use a folded tea towel under each keg so you don"t have to remove all kegs at the same time as the clean out.

Just a tip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A big day in the Alicat brewery today.  I think I need to go on the payroll ha ha.😆

First off kegged up my OzDevils USPA and bottled 12 x 345 ml stubbies for travellers.

Then kegged up my COPA ver 1.0 and also bottled 12 x 345 ml stubbies for travellers.

And kegged up my summer pilsner, I was surprised how much of this beer I had actually drunk straight out of the 58 L Kegmenter “off the trub” as only got 2/3 of one keg.  It just goes to show how much you drink when it is a very nice beer.  It was such a pity to tip the yeast bed out of this FV when I cleaned it out today.  I reckon a few more brews could have been done out of this as this beer was the third and I reckon in a sealed SS container like this you can go many more.  Going to push this limit when I pitch the LL after the Kegmenter has gone through its cleaning and sanitising routine.

Like I said, cleaned out the big 58 L Kegmenter and it’s currently in purgatory under SP soak.

Pitched COPA ver 2.1 “dirty” straight onto the trub of kegged COPA ver 1.0.

Pitched my 150 Lashes clone ver 1.0 using a fresh sachet of US-05 as the Ozdevil’s USPA trub I planned to pitch on was a tad too contaminated with commando hops for me to get a clean and real ferment so I know where I am at with this recipe.  Just though it best to start over – fresh from top to bottom.

Boiled up a 4 L starter of left over wort from COPA 2 and 2.1 ready for a couple of sachets of DL yeast tomorrow which will go into the 44 L of LL on Thursday.

Along with that, cleaning, sanitising and O2 purging of a few kegs and it was beer O’clock before I knew it.  So a few Cooper’s sparkling ales and some steamed South Melbourne market dim sims for dinner as no time to prepare and cook tonight.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Like I said, cleaned out the big 58 L Kegmenter and it’s currently in purgatory under SP soak.

@iBooz2 you use the big brother version of my kegmenter and I was wondering how you clean it - just an SP soak? The kegmenters, having a 4" opening can be a challenge to get your arm into to scrub the internals. I have found, especially with Kviek yeasts done at high temps, that they have a very crusty, hard krausen ring that sometimes SP will not remove.

I have bought a bucket blaster and it seems to be doing a great job so far.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@stquinto great job there bloke.  Just a tip.  I used to put folded up paper towel pieces under each keg as I put the new kegs into the keezer, just to soak up any condensate that forms but found they turned to mush and were hard to remove / clean up.  Now I line the bottom of my keezer with an old beach towel or two and when it gets saturated temporarily remove kegs and replace towel with a clean one.  You could use a folded tea towel under each keg so you don"t have to remove all kegs at the same time as the clean out.

Just a tip.

Thanks for the tip mate 😉 Good idea to have a cloth under each keg so you can clean under them individually 👍

It's taking me about as long as the Sagrada Familia, but each day I think of a new thing (genuinely wakes me up at night... I know, I should get out more...)

The latest thing I realise I need to do is add a 2cm strip of wood on the top of the collar, on the outside edge, so the lid closes properly. Anway, that's quite easy.

I was reading that you really need a fan in it to move around the cool air. Do you have one in yours ? If so, a mains one or one that runs off a USB ? Ideally I would have connected it to the light socket on the inside of the lid, but I'll have to check the volts on that, and also find the light switch that turns it off when the lid is closed, and deactivate it. But if a mains one is better I'll fix it to the coller, facing down, with a hole drilled through for the wire.

Nearly there !

• Like 2

On 9/20/2022 at 9:38 PM, JoeB7 said:

Not Kegging, but....., never had a bottle blow & was wondering what generally is the timelapse for a blowout?

First 3 days? A week? Anytime during 2nd ferment?

My first 🍼💣.

Hey it only took about 3 hrs😆....note to self , "Start a timer if you're going to thrill chill for a quick drink"🤦‍♂️

20220927_200616.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

A big day in the Alicat brewery today.  I think I need to go on the payroll ha ha.😆

First off kegged up my OzDevils USPA and bottled 12 x 345 ml stubbies for travellers.

Then kegged up my COPA ver 1.0 and also bottled 12 x 345 ml stubbies for travellers.

And kegged up my summer pilsner, I was surprised how much of this beer I had actually drunk straight out of the 58 L Kegmenter “off the trub” as only got 2/3 of one keg.  It just goes to show how much you drink when it is a very nice beer.  It was such a pity to tip the yeast bed out of this FV when I cleaned it out today.  I reckon a few more brews could have been done out of this as this beer was the third and I reckon in a sealed SS container like this you can go many more.  Going to push this limit when I pitch the LL after the Kegmenter has gone through its cleaning and sanitising routine.

Pitched COPA ver 2.1 “dirty” straight onto the trub of kegged COPA ver 1.0.

Pitched my 150 Lashes clone ver 1.0 using a fresh sachet of US-05 as the Ozdevil’s USPA trub I planned to pitch on was a tad too contaminated with commando hops for me to get a clean and real ferment so I know where I am at with this recipe.  Just though it best to start over – fresh from top to bottom.

Boiled up a 4 L starter of left over wort from COPA 2 and 2.1 ready for a couple of sachets of DL yeast tomorrow which will go into the 44 L of LL on Thursday.

Along with that, cleaning, sanitising and O2 purging of a few kegs and it was beer O’clock before I knew it.  So a few Cooper’s sparkling ales and some steamed South Melbourne market dim sims for dinner as no time to prepare and cook tonight.

Al, I think - no I'm absolutely certain Phil would give you the rest of the day off young man. Alicat brewery is on fire!

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Now I line the bottom of my keezer with an old beach towel or two and when it gets saturated temporarily remove kegs and replace towel with a clean one. 

Yep that is the biz @iBooz2 Boozer - completely agree - I know yer gotta pull out all the kegs to replace the nice big towel... but that is not that hard if you have drunk them all haha! (not a situation to be recommended but easier for Freezer cleaning and towel replacement 😆)

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

Hey it only took about 3 hrs😆....note to self , "Start a timer if you're going to thrill chill for a quick drink"🤦‍♂️

Yes mate me too - learned that the hard way - fortunately for me - it was just blllllaaaardy frozen so I couldn't drink it - bad enough - but fortunately it was not a Volcano like yours mate 😧

So now... yep... I set the timer : )

Edited by Pezzza
  • Haha 3

Filled my keg with Munich Helles but sprung a leak on the gas post, luckily had a spare sanitised keg and transferred into that.

‘Time for some preventative maintenance on this keg, it’s old but still works ok, will just need some new O-rings and some TLC. 
‘Tomorrows little job, always keep spare parts brewers for this occasion. 

D52AA75A-D69A-4B0D-A71C-9B24E78AABA8.jpeg

Edited by Red devil 44
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

always keep spare parts brewers for this occasion. 

You've noted that in the past mate and it is a very very good tip thanks @Red devil 44

Phaaarque tho mate with all those tubes going everywhere it looks like you got that poor old keg on life support !??! 

Oh yeah,  I suppose the garden hose is not hooked up tho so that's one less? 🥳

• Haha 2

Nearly there on the keezer. I can get 4 cornies and 3 five- litre kegs on the shelf. It’s just a bit too high for a 10l keg. 
Then there’ll be a CO2 line split into 4 and a N2 blend split into 2. I’ve just ordered two DC fans that will fun off a USB. 

D8311320-A7F7-43B9-8F7D-7BD9C0E1207D.jpeg

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

You've noted that in the past mate and it is a very very good tip thanks @Red devil 44

Phaaarque tho mate with all those tubes going everywhere it looks like you got that poor old keg on life support !??! 

Oh yeah,  I suppose the garden hose is not hooked up tho so that's one less? 🥳

Nope, no garden hose mate.

‘Always have plenty of spares & transfer hoses on hand so I don’t get caught with my pants down, well at least not on this occasion 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Nearly there on the keezer. I can get 4 cornies and 3 five- litre kegs on the shelf. It’s just a bit too high for a 10l keg. 
Then there’ll be a CO2 line split into 4 and a N2 blend split into 2. I’ve just ordered two DC fans that will fun off a USB. 

Good one Stquinta now all you gotta do is fill them up with beer, oh don't forget to put the lid on.

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, stquinto said:

D8311320-A7F7-43B9-8F7D-7BD9C0E1207D.jpeg

Very impressive Sainter, looks good - when's the block and tackle being installed? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Very impressive Sainter, looks good - when's the block and tackle being installed? 🤣

Hey Mick, you know what I was thinking, if he drilled an air hole for breathing, installed a Pluto Tap he could live in there, just chuck in a bit of raw meat now & again, he would be as happy as pig in sh .. 💩  🤣

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey Mick, you know what I was thinking, if he drilled an air hole for breathing, installed a Pluto Tap he could live in there, just chuck in a bit of raw meat now & again, he would be as happy as pig in sh .. 💩  🤣

Now yer talking Phil, after all, the best made schemes o’ mice an’ men gang aft a-gley…

Maybe better take the chance whilst I can 😉

• Haha 2