Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

These Movers Dolly's from Bunning's are great for $16.00. One keg is full of beer & the other Sanitiser & you can move them with ease.

20221005_121606.thumb.jpg.d2f9fff8134bc1d7548939b584b865c8.jpg

Those Dolly's are excellent and at a good price. I bought a few.  Certainly saves the back.

• Like 2

Kegged my 150 Lashes clone ver 1.0 today and filled 12 x 345 ml stubbies as travellers.  Pitched the 150 Lashes clone ver 2.0 that I brewed and cubed on Sunday straight on top of the US-05 trub as a dirty batch.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

KL FWK - Cloud Nine Hazy Pale and another KL FWK of the True Blue Bitter Ale.

You seem to be getting on well with the FWK's Mick, I still haven't tried them as I still haven't bought more kegs.

After a short time with kegs, you don't feel like bottling full batches anymore.

There are 2 places left in Adelaide that sell them, but I am not a fan of those satchels they ship them in.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You seem to be getting on well with the FWK's Mick, I still haven't tried them as I still haven't bought more kegs.

After a short time with kegs, you don't feel like bottling full batches anymore.

There are 2 places left in Adelaide that sell them, but I am not a fan of those satchels they ship them in.

I'm hearing you Phil, I hate the satchels too. But I have to say for around $31.00 for a total volume of 20-22 liters it's very good value. It's almost on par with the top end extract kit and bits..... Like I said I'm wanting to go AG - just waiting for the right time. This gives me a feel for the AG brews for the time being, and I have SWMBO'd to pour the liquid from those stupid satchels for me...I won't even have a go - I know exactly where the contents would end up. 🤣

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mickep said:

I'm hearing you Phil, I hate the satchels too. But I have to say for around $31.00 for a total volume of 20-22 liters it's very good value. It's almost on par with the top end extract kit and bits..... Like I said I'm wanting to go AG - just waiting for the right time. This gives me a feel for the AG brews for the time being, and I have SWMBO'd to pour the liquid from those stupid satchels for me...I won't even have a go - I know exactly where the contents would end up. 🤣

Fair enough, for some reason they are much dearer in Adelaide, but the point is if I ordered from KL, the shipping costs would probably work out about the same.  I will have to crank up my BrewZilla & get some AG brews going.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mickep said:

How's all that going Phil? You cranking them out? Are you finding it less daunting now?

In all honestly, I haven't done one for a while, but the overall process is quite simple once you get the hang of it, I get frustrated with the BrewFather App, other than that it is quite easy. Lack of kegs is my problem as I keep making k & K just to keep stocks up & of course too lazy to go back to full time bottling, I will sort it soon with 2 new Corny's. Cheers,

• Like 3

Nearly there on the keezer. I actually have a chippie round redoing the parquet floors and he has given me advice (normally after I‘ve already f*#ked it up…)

Bit disappointed that he didn’t offer me a job after seeing my work 😳 but at least he didn’t say “I wouldn’t pay you to carry my tools” …. Being an optimistic kind of a bloke I’ll take that as enough of an (absent) compliment …

Good tip to rough up the top of the freezer where the glue goes - he reckons it would come unstuck after a year otherwise 9DA3A749-1CEA-4E5F-963B-79D7E15EFCD6.thumb.jpeg.673a8bee98c1ab642fb8b23f92e6d70f.jpeg

93088F11-9B21-4184-B2C3-CDB724BEDF41.jpeg

066A2778-78BD-41E8-A284-24D3F5290C40.jpeg

7729BBA2-192E-45AA-824F-DEFEECF2C447.jpeg

224E59CC-95A3-459D-B177-51381D4B3E68.jpeg

8B31D33D-51BC-4066-9462-E4920ED988B2.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

Nearly there on the keezer. I actually have a chippie round redoing the parquet floors and he has given me advice (normally after I‘ve already f*#ked it up…)

Bit disappointed that he didn’t offer me a job after seeing my work 😳 but at least he didn’t say “I wouldn’t pay you to carry my tools” …. Being an optimistic kind of a bloke I’ll take that as enough of an (absent) compliment …

Good tip to rough up the top of the freezer where the glue goes - he reckons it would come unstuck after a year otherwise 

Looks good enough to me Stquinta, I see you have holes for 4 taps, well done.

• Thanks 1

It's Kegging time! And what's in my keg has got me stumped. 3rd dirty batch of the KL FWK Cloud 9 Hazy Pale - changed the dry hop in the latest from 100g Eclipse to Mosaic. The beer at 2 days in the keg tastes foul. (Not Sour and no sign of infection) But I am such a dufus I have no clue how to describe the taste other than to call it a slightly chemically taste. Could the change up in dry hops have caused this? I've not used Mosaic before now - could this be the culprit? Interestingly my partner has a had a taste and while she says it tastes really bitter she also perceives it tastes more like over powering blood orange flavour to her....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

It's Kegging time! And what's in my keg has got me stumped. 3rd dirty batch of the KL FWK Cloud 9 Hazy Pale - changed the dry hop in the latest from 100g Eclipse to Mosaic. The beer at 2 days in the keg tastes foul. (Not Sour and no sign of infection) But I am such a dufus I have no clue how to describe the taste other than to call it a slightly chemically taste. Could the change up in dry hops have caused this? I've not used Mosaic before now - could this be the culprit? Interestingly my partner has a had a taste and while she says it tastes really bitter she also perceives it tastes more like over powering blood orange flavour to her....

I know this is going to be wrong somehow & I expect a hail of bullets but could it be, just possibly be caused by dirty batches ?

I am happy to stand corrected but I don't think I would be doing that in my Brewery.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Sad 2

I know this is going to be wrong somehow & I expect a hail of bullets but could it be, just possibly be caused by dirty batches ?

I am happy to stand corrected but I don't think I would be doing that in my Brewery.

If @Mickep has been good with his sanitation, the strange flavour should not be caused by the dirty batches process.  A mutating yeast is supposed to change gradually. 

It could be something that got in, on the dry hop, or when the dry hop was added.  I would give it a little bit more time, but if it is still bad for your taste-buds after say 4 weeks, it might be tipping time.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, stquinto said:

Good tip to rough up the top of the freezer where the glue goes - he reckons it would come unstuck after a year otherwise 9DA3A749-1CEA-4E5F-963B-79D7E15EFCD6.thumb.jpeg.673a8bee98c1ab642fb8b23f92e6d70f.jpeg

93088F11-9B21-4184-B2C3-CDB724BEDF41.jpeg

066A2778-78BD-41E8-A284-24D3F5290C40.jpeg

7729BBA2-192E-45AA-824F-DEFEECF2C447.jpeg

224E59CC-95A3-459D-B177-51381D4B3E68.jpeg

8B31D33D-51BC-4066-9462-E4920ED988B2.jpeg

Love your work @stquinto. Looks like you will have a great keezer there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kegged up COPA ver 2.1 today and also got 12 x 345 ml stubbies as travellers.  In fact this the first time I have actually done a dirty keg refill.  I did this as an experiment and because its the same beer going back into a just emptied keg of COPA so though would give it a crack and judge any good or bad outcomes for possible future time saving hack re kegging. 

Did a second dirty pitch of my Coopers Sparkling Ale back onto the whole trub of just kegged COPA ver 2.1 in the coopers 23 L FV so will see how we go with that.  It going to be fermented out at ambient (16.6 C ATM) as no room in FV fridges.  

• Like 3

@Classic Brewing Co I have done dozens of dirty batches over the last 24 months and no problems yet.  But then again I have a rigorous routine and keep it very simple but still drown everything that comes close to contact / surfaces with sanitiser.

In fact I am going to ramp up to four DB in a row with the SS kegementer and now doing three DB in a row in the Coopers plastic FV's.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mickep said:

It's Kegging time! And what's in my keg has got me stumped. 3rd dirty batch of the KL FWK Cloud 9 Hazy Pale - changed the dry hop in the latest from 100g Eclipse to Mosaic. 

How long was the Mosaic dry hopped for or was it done commando?  Was the previous batch dry hopped commando hence some residual in the trub?  Was it at FG before dry hopping?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

How long was the Mosaic dry hopped for or was it done commando?  Was the previous batch dry hopped commando hence some residual in the trub?  Was it at FG before dry hopping?

G'day Al, - mate it was dry hopped for 48 hours as per the KL recipe and went in when the brew was  at its estimated  FG - and after the D rest. The hops were contained in FG SS capsule and cleaned and sanitised thoroughly - all 3 batches were dry hopped  in the  same manner. Except of course the 3rd batch having mosaic instead of the eclipse.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mickep said:

I use Mosaic a lot and cannot say I've ever had a foul taste in my beers. Then again, I usually use 50g to dry hop. It does bring a strong citrus flavour with it though. Never thought of blood orange, more like grapefruit but that's just my taste buds. So maybe it is just the normal Mosaic flavour but stronger due to the amount?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

If @Mickep has been good with his sanitation, the strange flavour should not be caused by the dirty batches process.  A mutating yeast is supposed to change gradually. 

It could be something that got in, on the dry hop, or when the dry hop was added.  I would give it a little bit more time, but if it is still bad for your taste-buds after say 4 weeks, it might be tipping time.

That sounds logical Shamus, I knew my expression with the Dirty Batch routine wouldn't be met favourably however I guess it comes down to what method brewer choices to use, as Al says with correct sanitisation procedures it should work fine.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I use Mosaic a lot and cannot say I've ever had a foul taste in my beers. Then again, I usually use 50g to dry hop. It does bring a strong citrus flavour with it though. Never thought of blood orange, more like grapefruit but that's just my taste buds. So maybe it is just the normal Mosaic flavour but stronger due to the amount?

Thanks AK @Aussiekraut.  The Blood orange was my partners description  so it's possible it could be a strong grapefruit taste. I'll park the keg - leave it be for a few weeks and come back to it.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Shamus, thanks for the feedback mate.  My cleaning and sanitary measures are pretty good. I'm fastidious about it TBH.

Interestingly, I tasted a sample of the wort at FG, and before the hops were added and the wort tasted fine at that point. 

I'd added the Hops to all 3 dirty batches really late during CC.  Given this I think I'll wait for the 4 weeks and see how it is then...

As AK @Aussiekraut has said it may be that the 100g of Mosaic has given the brew a strong grapefruit flavor...

KL at one time sold the Cloud 9 Hazy PA FWK with a 100g Mosaic satchel instead of the Eclipse hops it now recommends. I wonder if they had a change in the recipe because the NEIPA wort didn't quite work together with the Mosaic hop.

• Like 1