Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

Just my silly attempt at humour. Standard brew, with 500g LDME, 200 dex, 20g steeped saaz as I find their brews very light on the hops. I brewed this with CCA yeast, chucked 100g dex in the keg and will let it condition naturally before I put it in the fridge for serving. Should be good to go for my megaswill mates by xmas 👍🏻 (Just hoping it will turn out OK, no complaints so far). The reason it is a midstrength is my mates were complaining because they had to drive from my place, a few of my brews I had to take their keys and put a blanket on the couch 😂

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Just my silly attempt at humour. Standard brew, with 500g LDME, 200 dex, 20g steeped saaz as I find their brews very light on the hops. I brewed this with CCA yeast, chucked 100g dex in the keg and will let it condition naturally before I put it in the fridge for serving. Should be good to go for my megaswill mates by xmas 👍🏻 (Just hoping it will turn out OK, no complaints so far). The reason it is a midstrength is my mates were complaining because they had to drive from my place, a few of my brews I had to take their keys and put a blanket on the couch 😂

👍

• Like 2

OK, so I have some teething problems with my setup. It seems my 30 year old fridge is freezing my keg. I have problems pouring, it seems the dip tube or out tube or whatever you call it is frozen, preventing any liquid gold coming out of the tap - it just dribbles out. I have played around with pressure and have a temperature gauge in the fridge. I have now put the keg on a block of wood to try to prevent the base of the keg from freezing. The fridge is around 1ºC and I have dialled in the pressure for a perfect pour (when working) at 10 psi.

My question is: Is this why I see a lot of you guys with wood under the kegs? Or is it only for stability purposes mainly? Has anyone else had freezing issues?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cheap Charlie said:

OK, so I have some teething problems with my setup. It seems my 30 year old fridge is freezing my keg. I have problems pouring, it seems the dip tube or out tube or whatever you call it is frozen, preventing any liquid gold coming out of the tap - it just dribbles out. I have played around with pressure and have a temperature gauge in the fridge. I have now put the keg on a block of wood to try to prevent the base of the keg from freezing. The fridge is around 1ºC and I have dialled in the pressure for a perfect pour (when working) at 10 psi.

My question is: Is this why I see a lot of you guys with wood under the kegs? Or is it only for stability purposes mainly? Has anyone else had freezing issues?

I was worried about my 30+year old fridge before I had it drilled out as it used to freeze all of the vegetables & the freezer underneath was always choking up with ice, for the last 10-12 years I was only using for a brew fridge.

But since I have had the kegs in there, the serving temperature is perfect, I have a gauge in there but not sure how accurate it is, it's been dropped a few times.

As you can see, I too have wood underneath. Maybe your thermostat need's checking?

20221212_120612.thumb.jpg.9f66fc3e8399d65c41ca6529bd9b1465.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Just make sure the beer lines don't touch any walls of the fridge. My Kegerator is set to 2C and I have no dramas but I have been warned to keep the tubes away from the walls of the fridge. The Keezer outside is also set to 2C and nothing bad has happened so far. Maybe your thermostat is out of whack a little and it is colder than you thought. Also, increase the temperature a little. 2 or 3C still makes a rather cold beer and might ease your problems.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Classic Brewing Co yeah you could be right about the thermostat, will keep monitoring it, it's an old fridge from my mate, it has been working fine. It's only a temporary solution anyway until I find a better fridge, or might do until the budget allows for a kegerator. Either way it's a next year thing.

@Aussiekraut the lines seem to be ok, the fridge is an aussie made westinghouse from the 90's, all the refridgeration stuff is external as you can see, the cooling comes from the back, the side walls are ok, but the floor is cold as ice. I have dropped the temp, will see how that goes, but it is essential to have an ice cold beer! 😀

keg.thumb.jpeg.224caebdff86e930e7c08a4d3e0e8f99.jpeg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

@Classic Brewing Co yeah you could be right about the thermostat, will keep monitoring it, it's an old fridge from my mate, it has been working fine. It's only a temporary solution anyway until I find a better fridge, or might do until the budget allows for a kegerator. Either way it's a next year thing.

@Aussiekraut the lines seem to be ok, the fridge is an aussie made westinghouse from the 90's, all the refridgeration stuff is external as you can see, the cooling comes from the back, the side walls are ok, but the floor is cold as ice. I have dropped the temp, will see how that goes, but it is essential to have an ice cold beer! 😀

keg.thumb.jpeg.224caebdff86e930e7c08a4d3e0e8f99.jpeg

Looks exactly like mine, a Westinghouse 'Silhouette' 411 litre except min has a freezer on the bottom.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

If you control your fridges temperature by using a Inkbird temperature controller you should solve the freezing problem.

Turn your fridges temperature controller to the coldest position.

Tape the Inkbirds temperature probe to the lowest part of the keg that has liquid behind it. That is to say don't tape it to the rubber feet.

Set your Inkbird to the temperature you require and turn it on.

Remember that the coldest part of the fridge is at the bottom, the fridges temp controller doesn't measure down there it measures near the top. Hence the freezing of the kegs at the bottom.

I have my Inkbird set at 1C with a differential of 0.5C

A piece of wood is there for stability and to spread the load. It won't in this instance stop the freezing problem.

Edited by Pickles Jones
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

If you control your fridges temperature by using a Inkbird temperature controller you should solve the freezing problem.

Turn your fridges temperature controller to the coldest position.

Tape the Inkbirds temperature probe to the lowest part of the keg that has liquid behind it. That is to say don't tape it to the rubber feet.

Set your Inkbird to the temperature you require and turn it on.

Remember that the coldest part of the fridge is at the bottom, the fridges temp controller doesn't measure down there it measures near the top. Hence the freezing of the kegs at the bottom.

I have my Inkbird set at 1C with a differential of 0.5C

A piece of wood is there for stability and to spread the load. It won't in this instance stop the freezing problem.

Thanks mate, as the whole fridge is cold was thinking of getting a second temperature controller - it did actually cross my mind. I could always use it as a second ferment fridge as atm demand is outstripping supply and the single 23L fermenter is in constant use 😂.

I will check it out tomorrow morning, as leaving it for a few hours seems to create this problem. atm I have turned it down (read hotter), so will see how that goes.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Bad luck on that one. I used the wood for stability and stopping getting black marks on the bottom of the fridge from the rubber bit on the keg. I’d also go for an Inkbird temperature controller as mentioned above by Pickles

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Stickers said:

is it just me or is the best glass out of the keg the one just before it blows?

No it is not just you, it is an immutable law of kegging. I always find that I have the ideal carbonation and the best taste right at that stage where the keg blows!

Then with a new keg, you need to adjust carbonation etc and then again when you just get there - the keg blows!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I kegged up my 3rd batch of a 150 lashes clone the other day and I realized I had run out of empty kegs.  Luckily a mate had told me he had two kegs that he no longer used so went over to his place and it turns out he actually had 3 for me so that's a bonus.  He has moved from brewing into making his own whiskey these days.  Cleaned them all up and fitted new "O" ring kits and they are good to go.  So now I am running 13 kegs plus some smaller PET ones so I had better get brewing again.  Planning on another double batch of LL tomorrow and then a few K & K to use up kit tins that are coming up to BBD.  Almost used up my two 25 kg bags of Coopers Premium Pale Malt so have to get some more before Christmas shutdown.

• Like 8

I reckon I’ll keg my Guinness clone tomorrow. It’s been a week in the FV and the gravity is at 1.014 (from 1.060, making it just over 6 %).

I put the kegzilla in the fridge so hopefully it won’t fizz up too much. The smaller mini one has to just sit in the garage at about 13 degrees.

Obviously I’m not fussed about clarity as it is Guinness.

• Like 3