Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

Kegged up the second of the two AG Coopers Sparkling Ales yesterday Brew #90 AG#49.  Bottled off 12 x 345 ml stubbies as travellers too.  This brew was the second dirty batch I did on CCA yeast cake.  Original was with a fresh yeast starter - a COPA followed by a dirty batch of another COPA then this CSA being a a much higher ABV of 5.8 %.  Did not want to push it any further being in a Coopers FV so dumped the yeast cake in the garden and will start over with next round of COPA breers.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, stquinto said:

4g lactic acid for the cornie.

@stquinto , you should get yourself some 5 ml, 10ml and 20ml syringes (no hypodermic needle).  They are much easier to suck  the correct ml of acid up and disperse into a keg or whatever.  My daughter is a nurse and brings home the ones that are out of date and due to be destroyed, they are still sealed in the medical packaging.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

@stquinto , you should get yourself some 5 ml, 10ml and 20ml syringes (no hypodermic needle).  They are much easier to suck  the correct ml of acid up and disperse into a keg or whatever.  My daughter is a nurse and brings home the ones that are out of date and due to be destroyed, they are still sealed in the medical packaging.

Good point 👍

Bit of a conundrum- I put 3g in the other cornie expecting 15l but in the end only got 13l. I wonder if it will be too sour. I suppose if it is I can add 2 litres of de-oxygenated water.

I read somewhere that stout should be kept a while but I wouldn’t mind getting stuck in for Christmas. Only one way to find out, eh?

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

I think that @stquinto prefers his drug dealing scales, very accurate with small quantities 🤩

They are pretty accurate I’ll say 😂

Anyway, I kept the slurry for another 2 batches.

I think I’ll give the brewing a rest , I’ve a bit of a backlog 😆

E29EAD10-1E61-469C-A0F2-C8597C437232.jpeg

66F8DF8B-8BCD-43B8-B7C6-EB0D4A815299.jpeg

C9C7476A-8E4B-4DC7-9DBE-F98B5860EEDB.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Kegged up the new batch of LL today which used a fresh DL yeast starter.   Got 2 kegs and 24 x 345 ml stubbies as traveller's.  I will drop the two cubes of LL I just made using the CPPM the other day onto the yeast cake so that will be dirty batch #1.  Going to see how far I can take the same yeast cake in weeks to come.

With all the talk on another thread re CO2 bottles getting filled it reminded me to get my 6 Kg bottle refilled today.  Cost was $20 cash and it took 10 minutes.  I think it has been about a year since I filled it up last time.  Note I run 1 x 6 Kg and 1 x 2.5 Kg on 10 kegs.  Now have 13 kegs so usage will creep up no doubt.

Kegging LL 19Dec2022 - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 6

@iBooz2 that is a strong piece of wood helping to hold that big brew keg. Have you had any recent trouble getting the Diamond Lager or already had it in stock? Even the new Nova Lager seems to have disappeared fast at kegland and other brew stores. I can still get the W34/70 but most other dry yeasts seem to be disappearing fast.

• Like 3

On 12/19/2022 at 3:56 PM, iBooz2 said:

Kegged up the new batch of LL today which used a fresh DL yeast starter.   Got 2 kegs and 24 x 345 ml stubbies as traveller's.  I will drop the two cubes of LL I just made using the CPPM the other day onto the yeast cake so that will be dirty batch #1.  Going to see how far I can take the same yeast cake in weeks to come.

With all the talk on another thread re CO2 bottles getting filled it reminded me to get my 6 Kg bottle refilled today.  Cost was $20 cash and it took 10 minutes.  I think it has been about a year since I filled it up last time.  Note I run 1 x 6 Kg and 1 x 2.5 Kg on 10 kegs.  Now have 13 kegs so usage will creep up no doubt.

Kegging LL 19Dec2022 - resized.png

Hi @iBooz2, can you serve straight from the kegmenter, or is it best to decant into a keg like you have done ?

• Like 3

Not Happy Jan!

Another two down the drain. That's now 5 from the past 7.  These were the Woolie extracts I'd mentioned before - having off flavours.

No coming back they were just getting worse. Oh the pain..... latest batches in the Ferment fridge are doing well so far, tasted a hydrometer sample yesterday and was fine. Onward and sideways...🙄

321073684_547003543982315_9152540129927466537_n.jpg

• Sad 7

31 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Not Happy Jan!

Another two down the drain. That's now 5 from the past 7.  These were the Woolie extracts I'd mentioned before - having off flavours.

No coming back they were just getting worse. Oh the pain..... latest batches in the Ferment fridge are doing well so far, tasted a hydrometer sample yesterday and was fine. Onward and sideways...🙄

Jeez Mick, what's happening? You are having a bad run, I don't believe it 😂

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Not Happy Jan!

Holy cow Mick, what’s going on? You’re having a bad run mate 😳

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Hi @iBooz2, can you serve straight from the kegmenter, or is it best to decant into a keg like you have done ?

Merry Christmas there @Red devil 44 , all the very best for you, all your mob and camp for 2023.

Yes it is easy to serve direct from the Kegmenter and I have done that a couple of times in the past with my Summer Pilsner recipe.  All my kegs were full or part full at those times when these batches become ready so I just drank them straight out of the big bad boy.  Now that I have 13 kegs probably will decant and keg from now on so I can dump the next brews cubes into it and get those ones under way ASAP.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

Not Happy Jan!

Geez @Mickep, I am sad to hear of and see waste like that.

Why are you using gas to push the dud beer out of the keg?  Seems like a double waste to me.  Burp it then remove the lid and tip IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2022 at 6:02 PM, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@iBooz2 that is a strong piece of wood helping to hold that big brew keg. Have you had any recent trouble getting the Diamond Lager or already had it in stock? Even the new Nova Lager seems to have disappeared fast at kegland and other brew stores. I can still get the W34/70 but most other dry yeasts seem to be disappearing fast.

@Uhtred Of Beddanburg I had the DL in stock as I usually buy it 5 sachets at a time then make starters out of one sachet then do multiple batches on subsequent DL yeast cakes.  Once I have done 3 or 4 then I start over with fresh sachet into another starter.  I have heaps of other lager yeasts in my stash of trubs and make starter from those as required.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Merry Christmas there @Red devil 44 , all the very best for you, all your mob and camp for 2023.

Yes it is easy to serve direct from the Kegmenter and I have done that a couple of times in the past with my Summer Pilsner recipe.  All my kegs were full or part full at those times when these batches become ready so I just drank them straight out of the big bad boy.  Now that I have 13 kegs probably will decant and keg from now on so I can dump the next brews cubes into it and get those ones under way ASAP.

Cheers @iBooz2, all the best to you & family also for Christmas & 2023 🍺🍺

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@iBooz2 you are lucky you get so many uses out of it then is hard to find ATM. I also re use multiple times so lucky or I would be in trouble.

@Uhtred Of Beddanburg , where-a-bouts are you? maybe I could post you a couple if you are finding hard to get.  I still have 5 in stock.  PM me if you want.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@Uhtred Of Beddanburg , where-a-bouts are you? maybe I could post you a couple if you are finding hard to get.  I still have 5 in stock.  PM me if you want.

Thanks for the offer mate I managed to get 2 packs each of Bavarian and Bohemian Lager both great yeasts. I will try again in the new year my next brew will be a Hazy PA with verdant. 

Also have fresh slurry and some old coopers yeast in fridge I could test viability with a starter.

More than anything it was curiosity why all of a sudden and hope it doesn't last too long.

• Like 3

Dave's birthday beer for New Years eve and his bday. Just got 20g cascade dry hop in a hop tube. 

So I guess it's a cascade lager? Grain and Grape Draught brewed with 2 packets of MJ Bohemian Lager at 13 degrees. Usually do them at 12 but wanted more speed this time and pitched yeast higher than intended.

Already been in keg 5 days remove hops in 2 should be good drop by new years. 

20221222_121714.jpg

• Like 5

Kegged these two yesterday. KL's FWK's - True Blue Bitter approx 4.6% and Cloud Nine Hazy Pale Ale approx 4.9%

No sign of off flavours or smell so far. Phew! Might even be able to have a glass on Chrissy day with the sons. I've also got an Extract 150 lashes clone - it tastes fine but no cigar I'm afraid....darker in color and a little sharper or bitter than the real McCoy - hop flavours are close though....might shorten the hop boil next time.

320711095_5023740751061764_7437980618681483610_n.jpg

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 6