Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

22 minutes ago, stquinto said:

This is my version of the same. I added two filters as well, a bit redundant as I cold crashed (but only for 24 hours).The bugger’s just fizzed up on me, even though it’s cold. Seemed to be going too well …

Fermzilla is a nice bit of kit, I concur 

D5C69030-10B7-4A72-A7F0-3941BA51D584.jpeg

52C8DABA-B0A0-497B-9781-16D9C62A064D.jpeg

E02B0DC1-9B83-46DB-BCA0-3E8146DED9A9.jpeg

It looks really clear in the FV so the filters may be redundant @stquinto.

I have never had a problem with clarity, I only using kettle finings (when I remember) and cold crashing at the end of fermentation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

and cold crashing at the end of fermentation.

CLEAR BEER

Yeah @kmar92 KMar you in me Master Brewer Coach @Aussiekraut Aussie keep telling me -- give it a bit more time in the Cold Crash.... clear it up nicely... and yeah so this time....  i was in a hurry so I went early and did not cold-crash long enough.... 

So quite cloudy.... 

Hopefully w a bit more time in the cold keggler... might clear up 👍

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Beautiful @stquinto Sainter....

he'll be the talk o the town of what beautiful Craft Beer he has got  ; )

I reckon he will IP mate 😉

He's a good lad, and as mentioned, a sparky, and has helped out a bit here and there. Firstly by fixing up the wiring on the chest freezer I'm working on: it was a bit of a shocker (quite literally, probably...)

If a short circuit caused the house to burn down, I suspect SWMBO might take a rather dim view of my hobby.  But you never know, she might be very understanding...

Rather not find out all the same

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, stquinto said:

as mentioned, a sparky,

Mate Pure Gold

And  great young fellas who are happy they can have some really nice beer... 

It's definitely a reasonable currency for reasonable people : )

And highly valued by those who know good beer : )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kmar92 said:

It looks really clear in the FV so the filters may be redundant @stquinto.

I have never had a problem with clarity, I only using kettle finings (when I remember) and cold crashing at the end of fermentation.

You're right mate, there was no gunk in the filters at all. Probably more use if the brew has been commando hopped. But then there's a filter on the end of the tube inside the Fermzilla (I only put it on to keep the end of the tube below the surface) as well. I could try the finest filter on it, but not much point. Quite proud of my setup 😒

• Like 2

I kegged the Duvel that had been cc 24 hours. Still, started off fairly fast then really slowed down. Got a full 5 litre keg then 16 in a cornie.  I even managed to get some gunk in my filters so they did serve a purpose. I used the medium and the fine one.
So, tube from the FV tap, filters (optional), more tube and a beer connector for the keg. You also need a gas connector on the keg , I use a bit of tube going nowhere but others use a spunding valve. Gravity will do its work, but after theinitial rush it takes a while.

Collected a lot of yeast too 👍

Plenty to drink when I fall off the wagon 🤣

5C0972F5-A45A-4CEF-822D-9E0E4F16E416.jpeg

1A7A2145-BCBD-46D2-964E-A03C3325F554.jpeg

9E09B3C4-1A9D-42E9-A82F-F1B7913ED9A7.jpeg

13160945-6C5C-4C41-80B6-1A33870998F9.jpeg

C3F5F51C-0363-4AB9-8FFC-E7320E081533.jpeg

D712F65E-9187-4762-9A9F-AD0C0FAB94A2.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Added photo
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

I kegged the Duvel that had been cc 24 hours. Still, started off fairly fast then really slowed down. Got a full 5 litre keg then 16 in a cornie.  I even managed to get some gunk in my filters so they did serve a purpose. I used the medium and the fine one.
So, tube from the FV tap, filters (optional), more tube and a beer connector for the keg. You also need a gas connector on the keg , I use a bit of tube going nowhere but others use a spunding valve. Gravity will do its work, but after theinitial rush it takes a while.

Collected a lot of yeast too 👍

Plenty to drink when I fall off the wagon 🤣

A hive of activity Stquinta, looks like you got it sorted. The Freezer/Keezer looks like it's going to work out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 7:58 PM, stquinto said:

This is my version of the same. I added two filters as well, a bit redundant as I cold crashed (but only for 24 hours).The bugger’s just fizzed up on me, even though it’s cold. Seemed to be going too well …

Fermzilla is a nice bit of kit, I concur 

D5C69030-10B7-4A72-A7F0-3941BA51D584.jpeg

52C8DABA-B0A0-497B-9781-16D9C62A064D.jpeg

E02B0DC1-9B83-46DB-BCA0-3E8146DED9A9.jpeg

I haven't got to the filter stage yet my man. But I'm going to brew a Pilsner and Lager or 10 so I might look at it. I must admit my beers do suffer from clarity issues but I dont really mind. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

All conducted under the shroud of secrecy in the Dungeon beneath @stquinto Sainter ? 😆

Absolutely IP mate! Careless Talk Costs Lives (or beer, anyway…)

The bunker is a perfect brewhouse at the moment - about 20 - 21 degrees. Gives a nice, malty smell to it too. 
It’s a public holiday here today, might just knock up the Vintage 22, I got in the hops I needed on Friday 

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

I haven't got to the filter stage yet my man. But I'm going to brew a Pilsner and Lager or 10 so I might look at it. I must admit my beers do suffer from clarity issues but I dont really mind. 

I do prefer a clear beer personally, especially in light-coloured ones. These filters are reasonably cheap, this time I used the medium then the fine. TBH one would do.

Edited by stquinto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Double batch into the kegs. 

Kegland's FWK's

Aussie True Bitter & Cloud 9 Hazy Pale ale.

About to pour the same brews on to the trub and go again

Nice setup Mick! You guys are lucky finding fridges that can take two FVs 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Nice setup Mick! You guys are lucky finding fridges that can take two FVs 👍

Yeah Sainter, the second hand fridges here are really inexpensive and do the job well. That fridge on the left was gifted to me by the son-in-law.  I use that to gas and park the kegs if the kegerator is full. Very handy, I've got a cuppla plutos as well so I can pour from that fridge should I need to.

I've also got the spare kegerator - which stopped cooling - it still  holds temp at 13 degrees and upward (For some reason) so that can  now be used as a ferment fridge. 

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

Not Kegging, but....., never had a bottle blow & was wondering what generally is the timelapse for a blowout?

First 3 days? A week? Anytime during 2nd ferment?

I've only had a couple but they tended to be much later, as in 4 weeks afterwards. I think my way of priming has been inconsistent on some brews. I dissolve the sugar in boiling water, put it into a clean FV then siphon the finished beer on top. I saw someone on youtube suggest that the beer gently swirling on top of the sugar water would mix it without needing to introduce more oxgen by stirring. Works sometimes, othertimes not. I have almost a full batch of a Sam Adams clone I am tempted to bin as about five bottles in a row have been gushers.

I use heavy duty Belgian bottles to they rarely get to grenade status, but a couple have (which is a shocker, that's for sure...)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

I've only had a couple but they tended to be much later, as in 4 weeks afterwards. I think my way of priming has been inconsistent on some brews. I dissolve the sugar in boiling water, put it into a clean FV then siphon the finished beer on top. I saw someone on youtube suggest that the beer gently swirling on top of the sugar water would mix it without needing to introduce more oxgen by stirring. Works sometimes, othertimes not. I have almost a full batch of a Sam Adams clone I am tempted to bin as about five bottles in a row have been gushers.

I use heavy duty Belgian bottles to they rarely get to grenade status, but a couple have (which is a shocker, that's for sure...)

I have never had a bomb whilst in the bottle but 4 or 5 Grolsch bottles have blown the top off when attempting to open, one even breaking the top off & a couple of Longneck gushers - all caused by over priming.

I have never bulk primed as I simply don't trust it, but I am guilty of over priming with white sugar, I always use the same measure but clearly it should be trimmed back a bit. I always get plenty of head on my beers, but my bottles have never burst in the box.

• Like 3

On 9/19/2022 at 7:13 PM, stquinto said:

I do prefer a clear beer personally, especially in light-coloured ones. These filters are reasonably cheap, this time I used the medium then the fine. TBH one would do.

And 

@Pale Man

personally i would use the filters to clear the beer.   the reason i am saying this and it personal preference,  when putting through a filter  the filters may extract more goodness from the brew  .   yes,  they may clear the beer, but as i said they may extract a bit more goodness that  you may want in the beer.   

why not get hold of some biofine , which i believe has some benefit rather then giving you  great clear beer but also helps  to prolong the life of your beer specially if your going to age

biofine will need to be mixed in to the wort  then let settle in the keg so it mixes right through the wort

just a thought

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kegged my Blackforest Porter today.  Also put some into a few bottles.

FG was a bit high at 1.018.  The OG was 1.058.  I added the cherries part way through the ferment and the SG rose by 3 points.  So I am calling the OG effectively 1.061 and the final ABV 5.6%.

The taste from the FG sample tube shows much promise.

IMG_3241.JPG.11d02d97f14f9691856808020bb69b78.JPG

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegged my Blackforest Porter today.  Also put some into a few bottles.

FG was a bit high at 1.018.  The OG was 1.058.  I added the cherries part way through the ferment and the SG rose by 3 points.  So I am calling the OG effectively 1.061 and the final ABV 5.6%.

The taste from the FG sample tube shows much promise.

Looks good Shamus, at least there is someone left that I know with all of these name/avatar changes.

• Haha 5