Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

Kegged the Pezzza Mtn Brewing's Rye PA "I'll Rye if I want to" 😆

Pretty cloudy Brew still but had to be done... and maybe it will settle down in the keg with that very useful Brewing Ingredient known as Time 🙂

image.thumb.png.a3de5f1079080781427e19ee34b61517.png

Here's the last Rye on CO2 - quite a nice Goldenish-Tan colour... this fella might go down that track if all that shittttt in suspension flocccs out 😆 

Phaaarque it's sunny too!?! Not anymore just 🌧️ and more 🌧️ at the moment : (

image.thumb.png.ce792e8c7af08e11ccf8ea60adfcb6fd.png 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

Here's the last Rye on CO2 - quite a nice Goldenish-Tan colour... this fella might go down that track if all that shittttt in suspension flocccs out 😆 

Phaaarque it's sunny too!?! Not anymore just 🌧️ and more 🌧️ at the moment : (

Busy boy Pezman, you are going to have to nail a platform on that fence shortly, one of these days or one of those big wheat beers might go ars ⬆️  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Finally, finally, got the other Brew - Märzenbier-ish kegged and now in the chilly bin with its mates, and the brewery cleaned up...   no best-practice transfer 😐 w lack of time... so just the old food grade Si white hose... and a clean FV filled w CO2... n plenty post-fill burping.   Thinking I might even push Nitro into the Märzen and make more of a Caffery's style... the colour is looking quite nice in the bottom of the empty SS FV 🙂  Cleared up much better w less cold-time than the Rye PA. 

Giving it a hit of CO2 first - then will swap across to the Nitro mix... seems to work better that way.

image.thumb.png.20c90842b10cf639fb217308c0368041.png

• Like 7

Kegged my Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone today.

I had some issues with the floating dip tube.  It had become twisted at the floating ball and kept floating to the surface and sucking air.  Then the siphon stopped.  This happened about three times.  I ended up opening the FV to give the dip tube a jiggle so it hung properly.  Then it was all good.

IMG_3259.JPG.b63fc170f556a3e53780a6ed72c62f85.JPG

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I had some issues with the floating dip tube.  It had become twisted at the floating ball and kept floating to the surface and sucking air.  Then the siphon stopped.  This happened about three times.  I ended up opening the FV to give the dip tube a jiggle so it hung properly.  Then it was all good.

The Lipton tea solution @Shamus O'Sean? Love your work.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

had some issues with the floating dip tube.  It had become twisted at the floating ball and kept floating to the surface and sucking air.  Then the siphon stopped

I had that with the Fermzilla. That’s why I put the little filter on it. Better than the metal bolt I used previously…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I love Sierra Nevada beers; I look forward to making them one day. 

That’s my next but one effort I reckon, after the Spitfire. But I also have gone back to knocking up some Coopers recipes if I haven’t got 5 to 6 hours to spare…

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Shamus, what weight are you looking for to indicate a full keg.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

1litre is equivalint to 1kg  

so there for  Shamus would be looking at  19kg  for 19 litres of wort

mind you you have to zero the weight of the keg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

I stop at 18.2kg PJ.  I am paranoid about over filling.  One because then I have to clean and dry out the gas to gas return jumper.  Two because I did it once and gave the keg to my brother-in-law.  Unfortunately, I gassed up the keg to around 15psi before I gave it to him.  He then went and connected his CO2 before pressurising it.  The beer in the keg, being slightly higher than the gas dip tube, shot up his gas line into his regulator.  That was not fun to clean.

Like @ozdevil says, I zero the weight of the keg (and the tea towel and the gas to gas jumper).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

On the subject of the Cornelious Keg there doesn't seem to be any clear answer to the actual fill line, I would assume it be the weld line as shown. I was always going to check the level with water but never got around to it, maybe I should buy some scales.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.2b64e97f8057739c9a6d08710407c450.jpg

Yes i would agree that is a reasonable assumption   being the weld Line 

I would still Go the path of a set of Scales  like Shamus  has pictured Kegland have them at a reasonable price  and i think @Hoppy81 may have these scales as well

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Yes i would agree that is a reasonable assumption   being the weld Line 

I would still Go the path of a set of Scales  like Shamus  has pictured Kegland have them at a reasonable price  and i think @Hoppy81 may have these scales as well

Yeah, they look good I have seen them - Home Brew Grain Digital Scales - 40kg & reckon I will get some, I can't believe they are only $50!

kl20121_-_homebrew_digital_scales_-_40kg1_1.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, they look good I have seen them - Home Brew Grain Digital Scales - 40kg & reckon I will get some, I can't believe they are only $50!

kl20121_-_homebrew_digital_scales_-_40kg1_1.jpg

These scales look good. Kegland are out of stock at the moment so I put my name on the Weight (LOL) list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

These scales look good. Kegland are out of stock at the moment so I put my name on the Weight (LOL) list.

Have a look on ebay, there are heaps available and you can pick up an identical set for around $40.

• Like 3

On 10/3/2022 at 3:09 PM, kmar92 said:

Have a look on ebay, there are heaps available and you can pick up an identical set for around $40.

On 10/3/2022 at 3:09 PM, kmar92 said:

Had Look on Ebay got a set for $38. Thanks

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I finally kegged the Pale Ale today, SG was 1.050 - FG 1.014, after yesterday's discussion on how much goes into the keg I found that filling it to the weld line must be 19l as I got 8 x 500ml Hef'e bottles out of it which makes 4l for the 23l batch.

20221005_120049.thumb.jpg.ba51cf210d85b0b980df6a5606b16606.jpg

20221005_125512.thumb.jpg.5f287e39af8ce808d17a6f37db76e843.jpg

Nice work Phil 👍