Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

45 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Just went to pour a frothy and I've got a leak. Source unknown at the moment. 

Mate suspect you are all over it @Hilltop hops HH and do not need my suggestions anyway...

But all I can think is the Hose clamp to the liquid post, the host clamp to the gun and then the Gun whether something just pressed against the Gun trigger.... or a tiny bit of Hop Matter or other that is stuck in the Gun-valve so it cannot completely shut off.... or failure of the little O-Ring at the end of the Gun?

Anyway... suspect u r a long way ahead anyway so probably don't need my suggestions mate... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bloody Nora, I've got a first world problem - any help appreciated.

Over carbonated a keg with only 8 liters of beer in it....I had this keg on the gas for 20 hours at 40 psi and the result is not real good.....I've got nothing but foam pouring from the tap.

I've purged the keg had the gas off for a few days but still the same...rookie error?? I'm thinking you can't put half the volume of liquid on the gas at that psi for the same amount of time that you'd do for 19 liters of volume....

Can I do much - or am I in diabolic trouble. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Over carbonated a keg with only 8 liters of beer in it....I had this keg on the gas for 20 hours at 40 psi and the result is not real good.....I've got nothing but foam pouring from the tap.

I've purged the keg had the gas off for a few days but still the same...rookie error?? I'm thinking you can't put half the volume of liquid on the gas at that psi for the same amount of time that you'd do for 19 liters of volume....

Hey Mick sorry to hear of your dilemma, obviously I don't have an answer but I did read somewhere that it's like priming a bottle & only half filling it, I will stand corrected if it's wrong.

Hope you get it sorted mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Just keep burping it, should come good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Yeah as @PaleMan said. It may take some time but if you continue burping it things will eventually settle down.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kmar92 said:

continue burping

As above @Mickep just keep lifting that PRV Release Valve... every time you walk past...  let a bit more out... it may take a while... but that's the way forward as @kmar92 and @Pale Man Paleo note...  and as @Classic Brewing Co Phil alludes to... the 40:20 rule is pretty much for the full 19L kegglers rather than 8... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

As above @Mickep just keep lifting that PRV Release Valve... every time you walk past...  let a bit more out... it may take a while... but that's the way forward as @kmar92 and @Pale Man Paleo note...  and as @Classic Brewing Co Phil alludes to... the 40:20 rule is pretty much for the full 19L kegglers rather than 8... 

Good on ya IP, cheers mate. Had both kegs on the gas via a splitter (T piece) at the same time - one had 19 liters in it - the other 8. - didn't even give it a second thought, rookie mistake of note. Now I know 🤣 

• Haha 2

Finally got my chest freezer from a mate. After a clean up, and some amateur woodwork, I should be able to get it going with four cornies 👍

It’s old looking, but is a decent brand I think (Bosch). From what I’ve read it really needs the compressor delay mechanism so it’s not constantly turning on and off. I’m not sure how recent these things are. Anyone know? Also you should set the inkbird with a temperature differential not too small (2 to 3 degrees I read)  so it’s not constantly kicking off.
Anyone have a similar setup, and any tips to setting it up ?

Whatever happens, it’ll cost me some wood and time, so no real loss if it packs in. A kegerator x would set me back 600€ +  and a trip to Belgium, but I have to go anyway to pick up my Westvleteren. 

SWMBO is away for a few days so if I get stuck in it’ll be hidden in the garage before she’s back (better get some camo netting too) and she’ll be none the wiser 🤪

I was also given an old fridge I can use for either temperature control for brewing, or cold crashing. Just don’t have much space in the garage (unless I sell off the kids’ bikes, they hardly use them anyway the lazy sh*ts, prefer dad-taxi)

0AFF55AB-9969-438C-BBE5-446EBA50FAC5.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Finally got my chest freezer from a mate. After a clean up, and some amateur woodwork, I should be able to get it going with four cornies 👍

It’s old looking, but is a decent brand I think (Bosch). From what I’ve read it really needs the compressor delay mechanism so it’s not constantly turning on and off. I’m not sure how recent these things are. Anyone know? Also you should set the inkbird with a temperature differential not too small (2 to 3 degrees I read)  so it’s not constantly kicking off.
Anyone have a similar setup, and any tips to setting it up ?

Whatever happens, it’ll cost me some wood and time, so no real loss if it packs in. A kegerator x would set me back 600€ +  and a trip to Belgium, but I have to go anyway to pick up my Westvleteren. 

SWMBO is away for a few days so if I get stuck in it’ll be hidden in the garage before she’s back (better get some camo netting too) and she’ll be none the wiser 🤪

I was also given an old fridge I can use for either temperature control for brewing, or cold crashing. Just don’t have much space in the garage (unless I sell off the kids’ bikes, they hardly use them anyway the lazy sh*ts, prefer dad-taxi)

Good work Stquinta, that looks like the go, I have never had anything to do with Freezer's (for beer) so I guess it will good as there is plenty of room, you may have to install a block & tackle now 🤭 There a a few Keezer owners on here @Red devil 44 & I think @interceptor so advice should be a cinch. Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

(Bosch). From what I’ve read it really needs the compressor delay mechanism so it’s not constantly turning on and off. I’m not sure how recent these things are. Anyone know? Also you should set the inkbird with a temperature differential not too small (2 to 3 degrees I read)  so it’s not constantly kicking off.

Hey there @stquinto looks like a nice bit of kit and if it is the BBBosch then my experience of their goods is good : )

I have a HHHusky that has a in-built temp controller which is useful.  No inky involved. 

But I reckon as you say - use an Inky and set for 3 deg differential then the compressor should not kick in and out madly that's important. @JoeB7 is a festive Fridgy and he might confirm for us? You there JB @JoeB7

@Red devil 44 Reddler is also King of the Gas World and might be able to point us in the right direction too - you there @Red devil 44 Reddler?

And I just use pluto guns which works fine but is not as festive as the in-built taps on a collar option... but am happy for it to look like a chest freezer when the lid is down ; )

You could probably use the little bench/ledge area over the compressor to Lager some bottles too if it is too short for the baby cornies?

Well done mate and good luck with getting it all sorted 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kegging day for 2 brews COOPERS BREW A IPA  &  COOPERS BOOTMAKER PALE ALE

I saved the yeast from the Bootmaker as the IPA contained the yeast from a previous Pale Ale, all went pretty much according to plan, I got about 4 litres of each bottled as well so that's a bonus.

The photo of the temperature strip is to show how a brew can be brewed at ambient in the laundry with the correct insulation, this was pretty much constant throughout the 14 day period. This was the IPA - the Bootmaker was in the brew fridge set at 20c for 14 days.

I have connected the 2 kegs & cranked the PSI up to 40 for a 24 hour charge so that means at 3.30pm tomorrow it goes down to serving pressure, I am looking forward to trying these.

Cheers Brewers.

20220830_132547.jpg

20220830_133115.jpg

20220830_141523.jpg

20220830_152402.jpg

20220830_152701.jpg

• Like 8

Kegged the Lashes extract Clone yesterday. Tasted a Hydrometer sample from the FV and it was damn fine. Pushing the boundaries just a bit trying to have this ready for the Australian Football League Geelong / Collingwood final this Saturday. Go Cats!

302745121_763884208215931_6935290491975893940_n.jpg

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Kegged the Lashes extract Clone yesterday. Tasted a Hydrometer sample from the FV and it was damn fine. Pushing the boundaries just a bit trying to have this ready for the Australian Football League Geelong / Collingwood final this Saturday. Go Cats!

Hey Mick, 

I know this has been mentioned before but what is that grey tube thing'o sticking up & what purpose is it ?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey Mick, 

I know this has been mentioned before but what is that grey tube thing'o sticking up & what purpose is it ?

G'day Phil, Ozzie D put me onto this bit of kit. It automatically stops the flow of the beer from the FV into the keg once you hit the 19 liter mark in a cornie. 

https://www.kegland.com.au/duotight-flow-stopper-gen-2-automatic-keg-filler-kit.html

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

G'day Phil, Ozzie D put me onto this bit of kit. It automatically stops the flow of the beer from the FV into the keg once you hit the 19 liter mark in a cornie. 

https://www.kegland.com.au/duotight-flow-stopper-gen-2-automatic-keg-filler-kit.html

OK Cheers, looks really good, looks like I had better buy the Rabbit another Carrot 🐰

• Haha 3

On 8/27/2022 at 6:32 AM, stquinto said:

From what I’ve read it really needs the compressor delay mechanism so it’s not constantly turning on and off.

Bit late but the inkbird has a delay setting so that covers it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 10:48 AM, Itinerant Peasant said:

Hey there @stquinto looks like a nice bit of kit and if it is the BBBosch then my experience of their goods is good : )

I have a HHHusky that has a in-built temp controller which is useful.  No inky involved. 

But I reckon as you say - use an Inky and set for 3 deg differential then the compressor should not kick in and out madly that's important. @JoeB7 is a festive Fridgy and he might confirm for us? You there JB @JoeB7

@Red devil 44 Reddler is also King of the Gas World and might be able to point us in the right direction too - you there @Red devil 44 Reddler?

And I just use pluto guns which works fine but is not as festive as the in-built taps on a collar option... but am happy for it to look like a chest freezer when the lid is down ; )

You could probably use the little bench/ledge area over the compressor to Lager some bottles too if it is too short for the baby cornies?

Well done mate and good luck with getting it all sorted 👍

2-3K diff is good but if you insulate well it will not short cycle as much either.

Been flat out with work so have missed messages for a week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Keggin' a strong-ish Lager... had thought of Nitrifying it (nitro beergas 😋) but have decided that CO2 will be good and bring it on-line a bit quicker... and the Ale that is taking ages currently in the Brew Fridge can go in to be done with Nitro -- should be creamy as the SG is finishing a bit higher than anticipated.  Seems a bit chaotic in the Brewery compared to you well organised Gun Brewers out there... but I guess that's cos it is 🏴‍☠️

I have got a new-ish floating-offtake in this keggler, and we are on the Slow Train! ....  haha this has got to be the slowest closed transfer yet 😆

I guess good things sometimes do take time...  😀

image.thumb.png.0cdcf55117f1bfec56e8d05d3516adeb.png

• Like 6