Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

150 Lashes side by side taste test.

On the left we have a commercial version of the 150 Lashes and of course on the right my clone Ver 2 which was kegged back on 10/12/2022. And I just realized when doing this test it had only been fast carbed for 24 hours then and not connected to the CO2 since so this error worked against me somewhat.

Commercial 150 Lashes – slightly more hop aroma and a bit more hop flavour and hoppy aftertaste.  Has a fruity smell about it.  The hops I smell in the glass smells just like my pack of Amarillo pellet hops so that spicy/peppery/fruity bit is what I need to aim for.  Thinking a late Amarillo / Nelson Sauvin / Galaxy combo but in what proportions?

My version – quite a bit less hop aroma but still there and not quite the right aroma either, not as spicy/fruity as the real deal.  Less hop flavour and bitterness resulted in mine being slightly more on the malty side of balanced.  BU:GU was 0.43 and obviously too far to the right.  This is probably due to the not having any Willamette hops on brew day (used Styrian Golding as a sub) and using too much Munich T1 light malt grains (1 Kg).  Mine just had a “standard” pub beer aftertaste so missed the mark there.  Used US-05 so maybe a different yeast would help here too.

Commercial 150 Lashes – just a bit bitterer when compared with my version so either their reported IBU’s is a bit off (maybe on purpose) or my calculations and technique has missed the mark.  Probably a bit of both I think.  I will double check the %AA of my hops and age in packs.

Commercial 150 Lashes – carbonation is about the same but mine did suffer from not being on CO2 for the test.

Commercial 150 Lashes – is a lighter coloured yellow and thinner when compared with mine as mine has a bit more body to it, too much body IMO sip for sip.  Probably due the malts combination and mash profile.

Commercial 150 Lashes – head retention was quite good and lacing was good too.  Mine faded quickly due to not being on the gas and it ran out of puff quickly.

In summary - The colour of mine needs to drop down to a straw coloured yellow from golden and it needs to be thinner tasting so will look at a lower mash say 63 C.  The ABV was the same so that’s ok.  My next try will be Ver 3.0 and I will drop the Munich T1 light down to just 500 g and up the CPPM to get same ABV.  Also will bring in the proper Willamette hops as the main bittering hop then work on a combo of Amarillo / Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy as the late additions. 

Mine is still a nice AG beer all the same and is good drinking but not close enough to target to brag about just yet.  Watch this space.

BTW - I had an idea to try and match the hop aroma for this beer.  Has anyone tried to make a mini hop tea in a coffee plunger (steep at 80 C for 20”) and then add say 5 ml of this tea using a calibrated syringe to a 500 ml beer glass (to keep ratios calculate-able) then pour your beer on top of it to fill up a glass for a test?  Rather than injecting a whole keg with an experimental hop tea it might pay to just experiment at the glass level first to get percentages of hops and volumes right.

The results could then cleverly be moved into the future recipes to fix hop discrepancy or miss-match.

What do you guys/gals think of that idea?

150 Lashes side by side 1 - resized.png

150 Lashes side by side 2 - resized.png

• Like 7

12 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

BTW - I had an idea to try and match the hop aroma for this beer.  Has anyone tried to make a mini hop tea in a coffee plunger (steep at 80 C for 20”) and then add say 5 ml of this tea using a calibrated syringe to a 500 ml beer glass (to keep ratios calculate-able) then pour your beer on top of it to fill up a glass for a test?  Rather than injecting a whole keg with an experimental hop tea it might pay to just experiment at the glass level first to get percentages of hops and volumes right.

The results could then cleverly be moved into the future recipes to fix hop discrepancy or miss-match.

What do you guys/gals think of that idea?

That sounds like a very good idea.  I think I saw an American on YouTube do something similar.  Whatever ne did, he had 6 - 8 glasses he was taste-testing.  It seems like a way to try to hone in quickly.  You can then make a full batch using those ratios and see how it turns out.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

BTW - I had an idea to try and match the hop aroma for this beer.

I am  very interested in that experiment too @iBooz2. I brew extracts in a Coopers FV at the moment. If you liked the results of your experiment, when/how  were you thinking you would add the new hop tea to your brew? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Second try of my Westvleteren. Worth the wait- 8 months. Beautifully malty, chocolatey, rich, great mouth-feel, bit of coffee, toffee… where do I get my Craft Beer W*nker t-shirt from?

Only one per session mind 😳

4063460A-261A-49A3-8558-07525FA23693.jpeg

Looks awesome mate well done 👍 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Cheers mate, I’ll post the recipe tomorrow if anyone’s interested 

I’ve just been researching about the beer goes for 65bucks a bottle in aust I want to make it now. I don’t think I will make a full batch though at 10%. It has a very high rating on the beer reviews! I am excited! I had a look at a few recipes on Brewfather. 

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I’ve just been researching about the beer goes for 65bucks a bottle in aust I want to make it now. I don’t think I will make a full batch though at 10%. It has a very high rating on the beer reviews! I am excited! I had a look at a few recipes on Brewfather. 

Here you go mate: really happy with it even if the project is almost a year 🤨

image.thumb.png.1d118058c7353a4eaa16e155c18140ac.png

image.png.ecbbaaaa3b63c08d101e8855a3b2d04a.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

That was close one. I’d put my Guinness on  CO2 for a few days, then Nitro. I went to pour one and it was completely flat 😳

I’d put silicone lubrifiant on the ring on the top and it leaked. I could have emptied a full tank but fortunately didn’t. Won’t be having a Guinness over Christmas 😱

At least I didn’t empty the tank completely…

Back to my bland-tasting Sam Adams, served on CO2 but through the stout tap. Drinkable but not hoppy at all. Oh well, about 9 litres to go. 
Not sure about the wisdom of the lube, the ring slipped and the gas escaped. Close call 😰 

3A6B4DC3-E24F-4D3E-99F3-81B6AB1BC127.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

On 12/21/2022 at 11:22 PM, RDT2 said:

If you have spare (glass) bottles I’d go for the full batch. It keeps for a few years, if anything it’ll get better. But then again I’m a greedy 🐖

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Merry Christmas Brew Dudes,

I just tapped my Neon Haze Session Ale. I was a bit worried that I had overdone the Galaxy when I kegged it as it was very passion fruit forward. However after 12 days in the keg it has settled down somewhat. Still a bit of a fruit bomb but now the bitter finish is nice. 

Got a picture , but I couldn't get a full glass and I'm really only sampling to make sure the boys will be happy with it over the next week,

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

neon haze.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 1