Coopers Community

What Are You Drinking in 2022?

Pezzza

you can get off flavour kits to taint beer so you can experience the different kinds of things that can happen to beer to help you to identify what went wrong with your beers. my local homebrew group does a batch of these every year or so. i haven't had the band aid one though

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, terminal2k said:

you can get off flavour kits to taint beer so you can experience the different kinds of things that can happen to beer to help you to identify what went wrong with your beers. my local homebrew group does a batch of these every year or so. i haven't had the band aid one though

Buy a VB kit & you will experience off flavours 🤣

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Classic Brewing Cowhen you say beer in the FV for 2 weeks does that include a cold crash? 

TBH I really don't bother with cold crashing very often; I am not fussed about clear beers.

Having said that I make a lot of Pale Ales/IPA's etc. so I can't see the need, I don't do many Lagers as I simply can take them or leave them.

It really depends on what I am brewing & the time frame in which it is brewed but that doesn't mean I won't cold crash again.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

TBH I really don't bother with cold crashing very often; I am not fussed about clear beers.

Having said that I make a lot of Pale Ales/IPA's etc. so I can't see the need, I don't do many Lagers as I simply can take them or leave them.

It really depends on what I am brewing & the time frame in which it is brewed but that doesn't mean I won't cold crash again.

ok I just noticed the draught u were asking about it and then this real ale looks cloudy too. I'm with you on more concerned about the taste than look.  I do like my lagers to be cold crashed especially. If I get too much yeast in suspension let the farts begin. 

• Like 3

COPA (Coopers Original Pale Ale) side by side taste test.

On the left we have a commercial version of the COPA, bottle was best before 16/09/2022 and stored upright in my beer fridge since purchase several weeks back.

My version was kegged back on 27/10/2022 and normally these COPA beers don’t last that long around here but I have been away bush helping my elderly dad out. 

• Commercial COPA – had more PoR aroma and a bit more PoR flavour and aftertaste.
  • My version COPA – a little less PoR aroma but still there and less PoR flavour with just a slightly more of a malt / grain aftertaste.  This is probably due to the hop fade due to being in the keg for two months.   A fresh kegged batch may be better to compare next time or maybe I up the late PoR additions a tad to make it last longer.
  • Commercial COPA – just slightly more bitter but not a lot when compared with my version after a few sips of both
  • Commercial COPA – slightly less carbonation than my version as I like my beers carbed up just a tad more that the commercial ones.
  • Commercial COPA – a tad on the dry side / thinner side when compared with mine as mine has a bit more body to it.  Probably due the mash schedule I used.
  • Commercial COPA – head retention was ordinary to say the least and was gone by half a glass, like as if you had been eating fish and chips and drinking out of that glass with greasy lips.  Mine lasted down to the last sip so hence my version had a better mouth feel all the way through to the bottom of the glass.  Gotta be happy with that.
  • Commercial COPA – had more of a background yeast taste even though I did not roll the bottle but admittedly I accidentally let a tiny bit yeast trub from the bottle into the glass so hence the more cloudy colour of the commercial.  Some drinkers like to roll and stir up the yeast trub before drinking but I wanted to compare a settled keg version with a settled bottled commercial beer.  Missed it by that much 🤏
  • Overall the colour and ABV was the same so very happy with my COPA.

All you AG brewers, do yourselves a favour if you like COPA and buy a bag of CPPM and brew my recipe using CCA yeast as after 4 batches it is a brewery regular now for me.  I smash kegs of these too fast.

COPA side by side the real COPA 1 - resized.png

COPA side by side the raal COPA 2 - resized.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

On the left we have a commercial version of the COPA, bottle was best before 16/09/2022 and stored upright in my beer fridge since purchase several weeks back.

My version was kegged back on 27/10/2022 and normally these COPA beers don’t last that long around here but I have been away bush helping my elderly dad out. 

Looks blaarrdy brilliant mate, @iBooz2.  Thanks for sharing. Hope your Dad's doing okay Al.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

All you AG brewers, do yourselves a favour if you like COPA and buy a bag of CPPM and brew my recipe using CCA yeast as after 4 batches it is a brewery regular now for me.  I smash kegs of these too fast.

Thanks for the link too, much appreciated. I'll get around to doing AG next year sometime  hopefully.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

• Commercial COPA – had more PoR aroma and a bit more PoR flavour and aftertaste.
  • My version COPA – a little less PoR aroma but still there and less PoR flavour with just a slightly more of a malt / grain aftertaste.  This is probably due to the hop fade due to being in the keg for two months.   A fresh kegged batch may be better to compare next time or maybe I up the late PoR additions a tad to make it last longer.
  • Commercial COPA – just slightly more bitter but not a lot when compared with my version after a few sips of both
  • Commercial COPA – slightly less carbonation than my version as I like my beers carbed up just a tad more that the commercial ones.
  • Commercial COPA – a tad on the dry side / thinner side when compared with mine as mine has a bit more body to it.  Probably due the mash schedule I used.
  • Commercial COPA – head retention was ordinary to say the least and was gone by half a glass, like as if you had been eating fish and chips and drinking out of that glass with greasy lips.  Mine lasted down to the last sip so hence my version had a better mouth feel all the way through to the bottom of the glass.  Gotta be happy with that.
  • Commercial COPA – had more of a background yeast taste even though I did not roll the bottle but admittedly I accidentally let a tiny bit yeast trub from the bottle into the glass so hence the more cloudy colour of the commercial.  Some drinkers like to roll and stir up the yeast trub before drinking but I wanted to compare a settled keg version with a settled bottled commercial beer.  Missed it by that much 🤏
  • Overall the colour and ABV was the same so very happy with my COPA.

COPA side by side the real COPA 1 - resized.png

COPA side by side the raal COPA 2 - resized.png

Very detailed and useful comparison

Ace!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

That should read BEST AFTER 16/09/2022.  There may be a couple of other typos in that post as well as the community web site crashed soon after I posted this and I could not edit, log off or log back in again.  Their cloud server was down for about 2 hours so gave up.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

That should read BEST AFTER 16/09/2022.  There may be a couple of other typos in that post as well as the community web site crashed soon after I posted this and I could not edit, log off or log back in again.  Their cloud server was down for about 2 hours so gave up.

Yeah, I noticed that last night, ended up going to bed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1