Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

On 2/4/2021 at 9:25 PM, MitchBastard said:

Next time ya have an asahi, GN or any mega swill crispy boy, measure the pH. They’ll be between 3.8-4.1

Nix Waffle.

Loved everything you brought up Mitchie... mate you are a Crankin' Brewer - beautiful beautiful.

As for mega-whatever-swill... saree.. I ain't got that much money... and certainly not enough to be paying $$ for megaswill even for research purposes haha - only joking mate - I certainly will take your word for it.

And you got me thinking... really enjoyed your Soliloquy and mate it has really got me thinking about why some of my brews taste different... 🤔

Gold - thank you

3 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

acid levels (mg per litre)  should be in the vicinity of 15-20. 15

Another really cool posting Mitchie... prompting me think I should monitor and see the changes (my own nose/taste) around what your pH meter is assisting you with ; )

Just one quick question - I do the Science thing - I am not getting the Acid Levels (or pH) being measured in mg/L - that is a more of salt in solution - Elemental presence... 

Or have I missed something here.....

Thanks @Graubart dunno if I can take the title of cracking brewer just yet but I’m working on it.  PH isn’t the be all and end all, more so,  another measuring stick to help join up the dots when trying to hone in on a recipe and to help deconstruct what might make a good beer.  That’s the beauty of home brew, you can tweak things to your own palate. 

in terms of the mg/L thing..... I think that’s how titratable acid is measured. TA measures entire acid content (acetic, lactic and phosphoric) using a sodium hydroxide solution. Maybe thats why its mg?? . I believe is a somewhat of a more accurate measurement than pH. It also gives a gauge of perceived acidity.  I’m not a science guy so I’ve delved into my brain here on something I’ve read a while back.  There is a high chance of me being wrong about all of  that 😅

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

this is the best krausen I've had on a pilsner sitting on 14 degrees or thereabouts one thermometer says 13 other 14. Goes to show pitching warmer and bringing it down gives it a good start will be interesting flavour wise if notice much difference.

20210206_103412.jpg

20210206_103448.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

n terms of the mg/L thing..... I think that’s how titratable acid is measured. TA measures entire acid content (acetic, lactic and phosphoric) using a sodium hydroxide solution. Maybe thats why its mg?? . I believe is a somewhat of a more accurate measurement than pH. It also gives a gauge of perceived acidity.  I’m not a science guy so I’ve delved into my brain here on something I’ve read a while back.  

Ah yes yes - and I thought of this in the middle of the night haha - was a bit of a cloudy evening and no rain haha when I replied - as in The Specials 'Where, didja get that... blank expression... on your face haha) no no you are all good @MitchBastard... gotcha...  haha apologies for any inconvenience caused ; )

And well done you on chasing this sort of level of brewing investigation and learning... really cool.

I don't love pH meters much (had plenty to do with the finicky things in the past haha) but that level of monitoring of course lends to better understanding...

Haha and you could always send it to a NATA Registered Lab haha (just joking in a foolhardy manner 🥳)

I am keen to sort of try to monitor it with my palate... and take note a bit more of that parameter.... cos I reckon there is some cool stuff there in terms of tweaking festive AG brews ; )

As for Saazy Boi - I was a little down on him when I said maybe he needed a few drips of acid... but last night changed my opinion!!!

Saazy Boi is back with a vengeance... and am thinking there are some real interesting interactions with what else is going on like watcha eating/nibbling on at same time and what sort of flavours seem appropriate at the time🙂 Go Saazy Boi Go!

Great stuff Mitchie.

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mr beer NW Pale ale just the tin to 8.5 litres kit yeast pitched on 22 degrees. Used ice to bring temp down before pitching perhaps this is why so much crap in bottom is it technically trub yet? cant get the right word something fall out matter? the process of them making the extract. OG 1.045

20210206_145109.jpg

Edited by jamiek86

1 minute ago, jamiek86 said:

can't get the right word something fall out matter?

Precipitate (a substance precipitated from a solution)

Flocculated suspended sediment

Denatured protein in suspension 

Haha probably all wrong...  😋

3 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

Used ice to bring temp down before pitching perhaps this is why so much crap in bottom is it technically trub yet

It's trub. Stick it in a place where you will not disturb it then stick something under the base at the tap there so all that stuff flows towards the back. Then you will not have to worry about it coming out the tap when you bottle or keg. Like mine below. Then you can lift carefully to the decanting location onto a similar prop and fill without worries until the brew gets down near the tap, then remove the prop and continue uintil the brew gets near the tap, then tilt forward - get almost everything out of there before the trub can slide into your bottles or keg.

18Dec Brews.jpg

Checked on my Mitch's Aussie Lager last night to find krausen islands on top of my wort.  Three patches, equidistant apart.  I have not seen this before.  Yeast starter was stirred in well when pitched.  The photo was about 28-30 hours after pitching.

IMG_2174.JPG.233e53b3927535f96eb10913f3447246.JPG

Nevertheless, all back to normal this morning with the usual foam blanket uniformly across the top.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Checked on my Mitch's Aussie Lager last night to find krausen islands on top of my wort.  Three patches, equidistant apart. 

Nevertheless, all back to normal this morning with the usual foam blanket uniformly across the top.

How odd. In all the reading around I have never seen/heard of anything like that. 🤯

• Like 1

Well it’s not in the fermenter or any more but the Pilsner went to keg today via the filter. Filtering a Pilsner? Sacrilege I hear you say? “Just wait 9 months ya Drongo for it to clarify”. Well.... it works a treat when you’re lacking a bit of volume and have to filter through some yeast cake.....first photo is yeast cake pulling through the hose pre filter . Second photo is what came out the other side. It passes the Willie Nelson Clarity test.

FC56622F-9ECC-4A30-809A-FAA7B39CA422.jpeg

89E5B024-84C2-4560-93B0-7786357EB5BC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Exceptionally clear @MitchBastard but I wonder how clear you actually need to make beer? I have also seen some pictures from @BlackSands with similar super clear beers.

Most of the colour you see in a beer is some of the stuff in it that makes it taste like beer, and I guess that you could filter it further, till it is just colourless but then does it also become tasteless?

• Like 1

Nothing really  special  but I'd like input from all that do a partial mash. 

Coopers Sparkling Ale tin.

Mashed 1.5 kilo of grain. Left over from my AG brews. 

1 kilo of LDME.

25 grams  of Amarillo  at 20 minutes.

25 grams of Cascade at 20 minutes.

30 grams Huell Melon Flame out.

The interesting thing about this beer. I put her to bed at 24 degrees with Lallemand Voss Kviek. And set my fermenting fridge to 32.

Should be interesting. 

I'll also dry hop but see where I go with that. 

20210209_220022.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Well it’s not in the fermenter or any more but the Pilsner went to keg today via the filter. Filtering a Pilsner? Sacrilege I hear you say? “Just wait 9 months ya Drongo for it to clarify”. Well.... it works a treat when you’re lacking a bit of volume and have to filter through some yeast cake.....first photo is yeast cake pulling through the hose pre filter . Second photo is what came out the other side. It passes the Willie Nelson Clarity test.

FC56622F-9ECC-4A30-809A-FAA7B39CA422.jpeg

• Haha 1