Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

20 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Nothing really  special  but I'd like input from all that do a partial mash. 

Coopers Sparkling Ale tin.

Mashed 1.5 kilo of grain. Left over from my AG brews. 

1 kilo of LDME.

25 grams  of Amarillo  at 20 minutes.

25 grams of Cascade at 20 minutes.

30 grams Huell Melon Flame out.

The interesting thing about this beer. I put her to bed at 24 degrees with Lallemand Voss Kviek. And set my fermenting fridge to 32.

Should be interesting. 

I'll also dry hop but see where I go with that. 

20210209_220022.jpg

Hey Pale Man, Do you normally have some support under that shelf? It's bowing a fair bit by the look of it. I'd hate for your FV to come crashing down.

• Haha 1

Hello everyone I am not sure what going on with my fermenter or beer again. I made a batch of  coopers canadian blonde. I watched  a video on how to make  canadian  blonde and i followed everything craig did. I put the wort in the fementer  only 2days ago, i took a hydrometer reading before yeast , i got  sunday feb7,2021 reading was 1042 . I then added cooper yeast put lid on . i have not   got  any  kracken ring or any burping . I checked the beer today  feb 9 2021 and  the  hydrometer reading is 1010 i look likes it ready to bottle. The Recipe i started by boiling water in kettle then added 500 g of dry malt extract the 700g of dextrose stirred vigorous and the added wort cnd,blonde then filled to 23 liter line with cold water and only differnt i did was put yeast into warm water  mixed it then added to fermenter and stirred it. The beer is it posshad real good head on it when i put  into  hydrometer,there is no signs of yeast in it  and look ready to drink tasted good to. is it possible the beer is ready in 2 days im confused , my last i made lager was awesome and it had kracken line and the airlock steady burped for 5days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rtotem1 said:

Hello everyone I am not sure what going on with my fermenter or beer again. I made a batch of  coopers canadian blonde. I watched  a video on how to make  canadian  blonde and i followed everything craig did. I put the wort in the fementer  only 2days ago, i took a hydrometer reading before yeast , i got  sunday feb7,2021 reading was 1042 . I then added cooper yeast put lid on . i have not   got  any  kracken ring or any burping . I checked the beer today  feb 9 2021 and  the  hydrometer reading is 1010 i look likes it ready to bottle. The Recipe i started by boiling water in kettle then added 500 g of dry malt extract the 700g of dextrose stirred vigorous and the added wort cnd,blonde then filled to 23 liter line with cold water and only differnt i did was put yeast into warm water  mixed it then added to fermenter and stirred it. The beer is it posshad real good head on it when i put  into  hydrometer,there is no signs of yeast in it  and look ready to drink tasted good to. is it possible the beer is ready in 2 days im confused , my last i made lager was awesome and it had kracken line and the airlock steady burped for 5days.

I don't think there is nothing to worry about, it seems like you didnt get a good seal on the fermenter in which wouldnt give you  the burping noise one would hear  with a airlock

if you was not temp controlling your brew, and depending on where  you live   you may not have been able to control the temp  and the yeast warmed up and worked hard  and it has fermented pretty quickly...   I would not take your 1st readt @1.010 as the finished  ferment..  i would take another reading 11th of feb and if the reading is still 1.010 the wort is done..

Far as the krausen ring this may have already started to drop out .   Also i have had brews myself specially when i was extract brewing just using the  yeast that came with the goo  i didnt get much of a krausen.

Also don't get hung up on the airlock  its not the greatest indication that fermentation is done... the Airlock is like a 1 way valve  its sole purpose is to allow the unwanted gasses to escape  while not allowing  Air to re-enter your wort

Alot of guys here tape over the airlock hole and just place the lid on  so its just loose so that the gasses are able to escape from here.....

your beer will be fine mate

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

I don't think there is nothing to worry about, it seems like you didnt get a good seal on the fermenter in which wouldnt give you  the burping noise one would hear  with a airlock

if you was not temp controlling your brew, and depending on where  you live   you may not have been able to control the temp  and the yeast warmed up and worked hard  and it has fermented pretty quickly...   I would not take your 1st readt @1.010 as the finished  ferment..  i would take another reading 11th of feb and if the reading is still 1.010 the wort is done..

Far as the krausen ring this may have already started to drop out .   Also i have had brews myself specially when i was extract brewing just using the  yeast that came with the goo  i didnt get much of a krausen.

Also don't get hung up on the airlock  its not the greatest indication that fermentation is done... the Airlock is like a 1 way valve  its sole purpose is to allow the unwanted gasses to escape  while not allowing  Air to re-enter your wort

Alot of guys here tape over the airlock hole and just place the lid on  so its just loose so that the gasses are able to escape from here.....

your beer will be fine mate

This iss what it look likes after 2day and this it what i used

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG

Just now, rtotem1 said:

This iss what it look likes after 2day and this it what i used

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG

Mate it looks fine 

do not add more yeast  its probably finished  fermenting but let its run its course  its not going to hurt sitting 7 days

always  do 2 readings    at the end of fermentation

take 1   when you think it is finished then another 2 days later  and if both readings are the same  then finished

as i said  your beer is looking fine  and if you get a second reading the same  tommorow   then if you want  bottle

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

went to keg today via the filter. Filtering

@MitchBastard Mitchie I think I may have asked before - but just keen to do better on this front - and that is cleaning the filter.

I 'Backflush' with pressure driven water (hose) in attempt to remove all particulates.

Then soak in Stellar San...

But am thinking I am not getting everything.... have just thrown it in some Perc solution - seems to be working a bit more of the gunk out...

Keen to read what you do in this space please mate as you are our resident Filter Lord ; )

46 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Keen to read what you do in this space please mate as you are our resident Filter Lord

I'm no lord but I soak in perc for a day then flush with stellarsan then on next use, gas that outta there and start the filter process. The steelarsan runs clean pretty quick so I direct that back into a clean bucket for re-use.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Thanks 1

About to put down my third iteration of @PB2's LC Rogers recipe, 1/2 batch.  

Very nice dark mid-strength, not too bitter, nice hops aroma/flavours with a roast malt ending.  Carbonated in keg with sugar - I prefer the soft carbonation.  Can drink it all day.  Pours a bit 'hot' through my stout tap - still getting that right.

I've added some maltodex (yeah yeah) to thicken it a bit and upped the hops a bit in the dryhop to keep those aromas up.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Exceptionally clear @MitchBastard but I wonder how clear you actually need to make beer? I have also seen some pictures from @BlackSands with similar super clear beers.

Most of the colour you see in a beer is some of the stuff in it that makes it taste like beer, and I guess that you could filter it further, till it is just colourless but then does it also become tasteless?

I guess you can make beer as clear or hazy as one desires... it would be an interesting experiment running beer through an RO filter to see how much gets filtered out....

I don’t filter all my beers. Just lagers or pilsners etc. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Graubart said:

@MitchBastard Mitchie I think I may have asked before - but just keen to do better on this front - and that is cleaning the filter.

I 'Backflush' with pressure driven water (hose) in attempt to remove all particulates.

Then soak in Stellar San...

But am thinking I am not getting everything.... have just thrown it in some Perc solution - seems to be working a bit more of the gunk out...

Keen to read what you do in this space please mate as you are our resident Filter Lord ; )

Hey mate. I generally smash 2 or 3 liters of warmish water at about 15PSI from a spare keg first up. From there I’ll fill the filter case with warm water and a reasonably concentrated dose of PBW and just let the filter soak in that for a few days. I change the soak water a few times and also agitate the filter up and down a few times when ever I walk past it. 

gets it bright white every time .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Nothing really  special  but I'd like input from all that do a partial mash. 

Coopers Sparkling Ale tin.

Mashed 1.5 kilo of grain. Left over from my AG brews. 

1 kilo of LDME.

25 grams  of Amarillo  at 20 minutes.

25 grams of Cascade at 20 minutes.

30 grams Huell Melon Flame out.

The interesting thing about this beer. I put her to bed at 24 degrees with Lallemand Voss Kviek. And set my fermenting fridge to 32.

Should be interesting. 

I'll also dry hop but see where I go with that. 

20210209_220022.jpg

Hey @Pale Man PM Looks like a pretty nice brew. What grains did you have left over?

should be over and done with pretty quick with the Voss kveik, so you’ll know soon enough. 
Should be well over 5% too with all that grain. I haven’t tried the huell melon hops, but sound fruity. Might be in American Pale Ale territory with that one - which is what I’ve got CCing right now. 
Cheers brother 🍻

38 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

running beer through an RO filter to see how much gets filtered out

Are you talking RO Filtration System?   Guess it depends how hard core your system is... by rights if it is the biz you should end up with water again...  Dunno how Alc works... only been involved with processing for removal of total soluble salts - with a pre-treatment system for removal of suspended sediment and some particular ionic species in solution... 

If yours is as big as the below I reckon you are gunna get your water back 😋

image.png.242d69ea8edb0cd99254be03b47fce79.png

What would be interesting would be the waste stream haha!?  🤔

Here some Research Wallahs are having a crack at Ethanol removal... so there you go...  yer miles ahead Mitchie... 😝

Alcohol Removal From Beer by Reverse Osmosis

September 2007 Separation Science and Technology 42(13):3011-3027

In this work reverse osmosis technology was used for removing alcohol from beer. The process was carried out in a diafiltration mode and it was possible to obtain a final beer with low ethanol content (less than 0.5% v/v). Several cellulose acetate and polyamide membranes were tested with transmembranar pressures ranging from 20 to 40 bar. Temperature and feed flowrate varied from 5 to 20°C and from 2 to 7 l · min, respectively. It was observed that permeate flux and alcohols rejection increase with the feed pressure, whereas esters rejection decreases with pressure. Permeate flux increases with temperature, while rejections decrease with it. Concentration polarization occurs at low feed flowrates.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Hey @Pale Man PM Looks like a pretty nice brew. What grains did you have left over?

should be over and done with pretty quick with the Voss kveik, so you’ll know soon enough. 
Should be well over 5% too with all that grain. I haven’t tried the huell melon hops, but sound fruity. Might be in American Pale Ale territory with that one - which is what I’ve got CCing right now. 
Cheers brother 🍻

i'm actually thinking the same thing to be honest

i would be trying to get a bit of ply board  as well as support  into it   so it doesnt matter about weight issues

21 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Most of the colour you see in a beer is some of the stuff in it that makes it taste like beer, and I guess that you could filter it further, till it is just colourless but then does it also become tasteless?

Hey there Kmar @kmar92!  Mate the filter that I use (and I know Mitchie use as got same as his after he posted it) is just a particulate filter...  so it really is not that different from running tank water say through a particulate filter to just take out any floaties or suspended sediment... I would think 🤔

So as long as the filters don't have any soluble chem in them themselves that might be soluble as low pH (beer)  - - they should not have as they are food grade etc for potable water - they should not contribute anything -  and then they should really only take suspended matter out - so that would be yeast and hop matter and maybe trub-stuff like some denatured protein suspended particulates maybe if floating around...

So I reckon for your bright beer like Lagers and Pilsners probs speed things up a bit.... but yeah as @MitchBastard Mitchie notes - we don't use them for too much other... 

I have only done a few Lager-y things w the Filtration and they seemed to work pretty well... I am just not that fired up about cleaning the the filter hahaha ; )

I have done quite a few AG Lagery-Pilsner type beers in the past that were quite 'bright' so believe it can be done without filtering - so I think it is more as Mitchie says - more about speeding the process up?

image.thumb.png.0910d1a4f9ad02e77744c7aa1102e792.png

So things have been somewhat crazy again so didn’t get time to do an AG batch, so I threw a All Inn Brewing AU’s Pale Alekit in the fermenter with a packet of Kveik on Monday. Looks like fermentation is done so I’ll pull out the dry hop (about 60g galaxy) which I threw in at pitch and cold crash it later today. Smells great and I kind of like how it can ferment out a bath in a couple of days!

• Like 2

After a couple of disasters, I've gone for something simple to get stocks up.

Coopers Cerveza, 500 grams LDME, kit yeast.

Chucked 25 grams of lemon drop hops in on day one.
I'll add another 25 grams of hops later.

Looking forward to tasting the lemon drop.

• Like 3