Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

On 2/9/2021 at 11:45 PM, Pale Man said:

Nothing really  special  but I'd like input from all that do a partial mash.

25 grams  of Amarillo  at 20 minutes.

25 grams of Cascade at 20 minutes.

30 grams Huell Melon Flame out.

The interesting thing about this beer. I put her to bed at 24 degrees with Lallemand Voss Kviek. And set my fermenting fridge to 32.

Should be interesting. 

I'll also dry hop but see where I go with that.

sounds pretty juicy. i really like the amarillo/cascade combo in the kit/kilo and partials i've started doing more often than not - not used huell melon though. looking forward to seeing how this one ends out

On 2/9/2021 at 11:45 PM, Pale Man said:

Nothing really  special  but I'd like input from all that do a partial mash.

25 grams  of Amarillo  at 20 minutes.

25 grams of Cascade at 20 minutes.

30 grams Huell Melon Flame out.

The interesting thing about this beer. I put her to bed at 24 degrees with Lallemand Voss Kviek. And set my fermenting fridge to 32.

Should be interesting. 

I'll also dry hop but see where I go with that.

sounds pretty juicy. i really like the amarillo/cascade combo in the kit/kilo and partials i've started doing more often than not - not used huell melon though. have done a few with kviek voss too - saved me from needing to buy a brew fridge so far. looking forward to seeing how this one ends out

• Like 1

A lager - 23 litre batch 
Can of black rock lager

1.2 kg gladfield Pilsner malt

100g carapils 

300g dextrose 

200g LDME

35 g saaz hops late

w34/70 plus sachet of coopers European lager can yeast

Mashed at about 65 degrees for 60 min. 30 min boil. OG 1.043. 

526CB0D7-4949-4816-840E-66109CFCBD4F.jpeg

39F5B0F6-B51E-4C47-B083-BE349256D0BD.jpeg

216CE1FF-AAC9-403E-A5F3-72E9862EBC64.jpeg

• Like 3

Hey @CLASSIC  

Im not AG myself, that’s just a mini mash. I reckon it should get down to 1.006 or so. Purely a guess. I have no idea how to predict it. I have heard that lager yeasts attenuate a little better, but it’s my first time with that particular yeast. 
I would expect it to take a couple of weeks before I can cold crash. 
First time using phosphoric acid as a sanitiser on this brew...

• Like 1

Yeah I am slowly moving towards adding more grain, I already use hops but don't want to mess about too much without the proper knowledge, I am still happy with the extract brews that I have been doing, I try to try as many different variations as I can with available recipes but unless you know what you are doing & its' not broke - don't try & fix it.

For the record I have tried some pretty awful beers from some who just keep mucking about - knowledge is power.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

hey mate, here’s me filter after a few days of PBW soaking. Looks like a brand spanker.

Wow. Mate that is gold.  Thanks for that.

I think I made a rookie error and left my sucker well rinsed with my tank water but not Perc'd and she went a bit algae-ish during the drying process... stewed her in the Perc and it brewed out a festive storm of brown stuff... hahaha... is much cleaner now and is after the Perc in some Stellar San Steriliser to soak... will see how I go... if need be I can get another and start again hey? 🤔

image.thumb.png.6edecc09d82fa05f946ee6e8f0846987.png

BTW what is that dry powdery stuff doing in MB Brewing's AG Brewery?  Guess maybe for starters... ok I'll cut you some slack here Mitchie 👹

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Tone boy said:

A lager - 23 litre batch 
Can of black rock lager

100g carapils 

300g dextrose 

200g LDME

35 g saaz hops late

w34/70 plus sachet of coopers European lager can yeast

526CB0D7-4949-4816-840E-66109CFCBD4F.jpeg

39F5B0F6-B51E-4C47-B083-BE349256D0BD.jpeg

216CE1FF-AAC9-403E-A5F3-72E9862EBC64.jpeg

G'day @Tone boy Did you crush those grains before you mashed them? They don't look it in the pic being weighed.

I have two brews down at the moment. Both are toucan experiments. 

1) I can Australian pale ale and 1 can of APA ( Non coopers Mango Jacks) made it to be 28L to bring down the IBU rating but did a wee bit extra on the brew extract to raise the ABV to 7%. Dark looking beer but smells beautiful during SG checking. Its almost ready to bottle.

2) 1 can Lager and 1 can Stout. 1.5 kg brew enhancer and a total of 28L fermenting. Approx 6% ABV but a massive IBU which should cap at 100% regardless of the reading over it. Disappointed to have forgotten to add a few extra flavors like peanut and chocolate during the mixing. This brew could go horribly wrong or be quite a sharp refreshing experience, certainly looks like tarseal but has huge hop smells!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

well you wouldnt crush before weighing 

hopefully he did crush them     or at least steeped the grains

Yeah I was just wondering if he bought the exact 1.2k from HB shop and weighing to check.

Even steeping uncrushed base malt won't extract much.

OG seems a little low considering there's 300g dext and 200g ldme aswell as a can and the grain. I could be wrong.

Edited by Pale Man

1 minute ago, Pale Man said:

Yeah I was just wondering if he bought the exact 1.2k from HB shop and weighing to check.

Even steeping uncrushed base malt won't extract much.

agree  with you..  but steeping will work..

i would personelly  crack and try to get what i could out of the grain

4 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Forgive my inexperience but is a 30 minute boil long enough when using Pilsner Malt?  Dimethyl Sulfide would not have had enough time to get the hell outta there and may tarnish the brew.

Anyone with more experience know better or if 30 minutes is reasonably ok for 1.2 kg

34 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

G'day @Tone boy Did you crush those grains before you mashed them? They don't look it in the pic being weighed.

Hey @Pale Man. Yep got them crushed, I just weighed them first. I bought a 5 kg bag of Pilsner and a 5 kg bag of maris otter - both came uncushed as I thought they would keep fresher longer that way 🙂 Luckily I was able to borrow a roller crusher thingy. Not sure what gap I was supposed to use but ended up going with 1mm and run the grains through twice. Seemed to work ok...

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 1

Just now, iBooz2 said:

Forgive my inexperience but is a 30 minute boil long enough when using Pilsner Malt?  Dimethyl Sulfide would not have had enough time to get the hell outta there and may tarnish the brew.

Anyone with more experience know better or if 30 minutes is reasonably ok for 1.2 kg

As Christina mentioned somewhere partial mashes are more forgiving, so 30 mins probably ok as long as the lid was off for the boil.

An all grain minimum 60 minutes with Pilsner. Preferably 75 - 90. Only from what I've studied up on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Hey @Pale Man. Yep got them crushed, I just weighed them first. I bought a 5 kg bag of Pilsner and a 5 kg bag of maris otter - both came in rushed as I thought they would keep fresher longer that way 🙂 Luckily I was able to borrow a roller crusher thingy. Not sure what gap I was supposed to use but ended up going with 1mm and run the grains through twice. Seemed to work ok...

Awesome you're onto it fella 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I hope so. I usually boil a partial mash for 20-25 minutes. I extended it out to 30 for the Pilsner. Remember the grains only make up about 25% of the fermentables so the dms should be below the noticeable level 🤞I hope!!!

I discussed this with the legend @ChristinaS1 before today and J made the call  

if it tastes like cooked corn I’ll let you all know! Cheers TB

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

As Christina mentioned somewhere partial mashes are more forgiving, so 30 mins probably ok as long as the lid was off for the boil.

An all grain minimum 60 minutes with Pilsner. Preferably 75 - 90. Only from what I've studied up on.

Yep the lid was definitely off, and got a good boil going 👌

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

I hope so. I usually boil a partial mash for 20-25 minutes. I extended it out to 30 for the Pilsner. Remember the grains only make up about 25% of the fermentables so the dms should be below the noticeable level 🤞I hope!!!

I discussed this with the legend @ChristinaS1 before today and J made the call  

if it tastes like cooked corn I’ll let you all know! Cheers TB

It may be me just thinking out loud so hence my comment that's all and just wondered.  All good. 

Yes certainly listen to @ChristinaS1 more than me, because when she comments I definitely listen and take notice.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

OG seems a little low considering there's 300g dext and 200g ldme aswell as a can and the grain. I could be wrong.

Yep agree, @Pale Man my OG often seems low, but I plugged in into Brewfather and it said it should be about 1.041. 
Was happy to have a low OG this time as I’m planning to harvest this lager yeast, and I heard low OG and low hops is good if you want to reuse the yeasties. 
And also it doesn’t take many beers for me to get happy so usually aim for about 4.5% ABV😉

• Like 1