Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

33 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

@Graubart perfectly good question mate. 
well, all beers have different mouthfeels and finishes on the palate. A lot of this does come down to grain bill and water profile, but, some of this is also impacted by the beers finishing pH. A lager or Pilsner with a finishing pH, of say 4.4 or 4.5 is going to feel a bit “flabby” in the mouth. It might Taste fine and look the part but it doesn’t finish right. 4.3-4.5 is good for an ale or an ipa as it’s more hop driven and that flabby ness actually translates as a “bigger” mouthfeel. Since lagers have sweet FA to them, that crisp snap, as you would know is what gets you going back for more, and actually provides a lot of balance. Something I think is important in lagers and pilsners or anything in this folder. 

During the brewing of my pils, a lot of the pH adjustment was done during the mash and boil etc and was actually tracking to where I wanted it. It just didn’t drop in pH enough during ferment to finish how I want it. I will be working on this recipe again. Since it’s 100% Pilsner malt, Next time I will change up the water profile and see how that goes. Something a bit dryer. Maybe something more towards what I do with my Aussie lager. Saying that though, The Aussie lager has Dex in it which actually helps dry it out, yet the beer has a higher finishing pH than the Pilsner. Go figure. It’s just a bit of faffing around and a bit of data collection. 

the Pilsner is still in its RnD phase and this time round it will get the post ferment acidification with lactic but as mentioned next time I’ll approach the water a bit diffo, and hopefully won’t have to.  Just as an FYI, I’m only going to add maybe .5-.8 of a mil of lactic To a whole 23L batch. 

you’d be surprised where some commercial lagers finish pH wise. Next time ya have an asahi, GN or any mega swill crispy boy, measure the pH. They’ll be between 3.8-4.1

and next time you pour one of your saazys, just drop 1 or 2 drops of lactic in it, if you can. You’ll see what I’m on about. 

sorry for wafflin

Very Interesting post. When you say put a drop or two into one of your "Saazys" what is a Saazy.   Where do you get the liquid Lactic Acid or does it come in a powder and you have to mix it.

I'd like to try it in some lagers I have made.😀

• Like 1

Just bottled The Voyage Australian Pale Ale kit, so there's nothing in my fermenter at the moment.  Tomorrow I am putting down a wheat beer that I will add some lemon and lime zest  steeped near the end of fermentation.  A toucan stout is after that on the list.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Graubart said:

Sandman what do you do for your Gelatin finings process... I do believe I have got some dry powder somewhere.... and should really give it a run some time - not done it before... think the book says something about making up a warm solution... and at what time in the CC do you add it for max efficaciousness?  🤔 

Thanks for any help you can provide mate

Hey GB

I tried gelatin fining for the first time tonight.  Read Blacksands' post and watched a couple of videos.  I ended up going with.

• Boil a cup of water in a 0.5L Pyrex jug in the microwave
  • Cover and let cool all day
  • Sprinkle on 1/2 teaspoon of gelatin - do not stir
  • Leave to "bloom" for 30 minutes
  • Into the microwave for multiple bouts of 7 seconds
  • Stir in between each bout
  • Repeat until the gelatin has dissolved - Do not let get over 60°C (mine got to 40°C)
  • Pour over beer (already cold crashed for 24 hours)
  • Stir in gently

I will report back on how it goes.  I usually use Isingalss and Polyclar.  I have been impressed by Blacksands' photos and hope to keg/bottle on Saturday night.  This one step fining will get me there.

• Like 4

I've got 2 FV in the fermenting fridge of Green Neck Lager. One on top of the other. The top one is closest to the fridge's cooling element and has the temp probe taped to it. Temperature set at 15C.
OG was 1.032, which probably isn't accurate. I got a new hydrometer recently and it seems to read a little lower than the previous one I had.
After 5 days the top FV is reading 1.022. The bottom FV is reading 1.009. This is understandable because the lower section isn't as cold as the top section where the element is but it just goes to show what a few degrees difference can make. The recipe suggests a two week ferment but the lower one is looking like being done far quicker.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@MUZZY  I notice from the photos of your 2 FV's in your Fridge & the probe on the top one only, I was wondering about the bottom FV getting warmer & the effects it may have on the brew.

Purely an observation as this is my first attempt to produce 23l without temp control - I have a Country Brewer 'Wal's Pale Ale' in the new 30l FV with an airlock. SG was 1040.

Even using just cold water to mix my ingredients apart from the Hop Tea, I have been closely watching the temperature on the strip. The cold water form the sink was 28dg, it got down to 25dg

now at day 3 is is on 21dg - I wouldn't expect it to drop lower as that is about what I wanted. It just seems so different without using temp control. 

18 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

@MUZZY  I notice from the photos of your 2 FV's in your Fridge & the probe on the top one only, I was wondering about the bottom FV getting warmer & the effects it may have on the brew.

Purely an observation as this is my first attempt to produce 23l without temp control - I have a Country Brewer 'Wal's Pale Ale' in the new 30l FV with an airlock. SG was 1040.

Even using just cold water to mix my ingredients apart from the Hop Tea, I have been closely watching the temperature on the strip. The cold water form the sink was 28dg, it got down to 25dg

now at day 3 is is on 21dg - I wouldn't expect it to drop lower as that is about what I wanted. It just seems so different without using temp control. 

Yeah mate, the bottom seems about 2 or 3 degrees warmer. Through trial and error I found putting the probe on the FV closest to the cooling element is the way to go. When the probe is placed on the lower FV the element works colder for longer and drops the temp on the upper FV to ridiculously low temps.
When I get around to it I think I'll have to drill some ventilation holes into the plywood shelves to see if that'll circulate the air/temperatures more evenly.

• Like 2

Hi Legends,

I got my usual IPA in the FV but subbing Simcoe out and using Falconers Flight for the first time ever, smelled bloody nice out the bag!

Used Coopers Pale Ale can as LHBS was out of the Lager can.

Got 85% brew house efficiency so this is gonna be a big beer!

Partial 10 CMFF IPA

Brewed 30/1/21

Maris Otter 2kg
Munich 0.25kg
Caramalt 0.25kg
Coopers Pale Ale can
LDME 0.5kg
Wheat DME 0.25kg
Sugar 0.2kg

HOPS
10 minute additions:
Citra 27g
Mosaic 27g
Falconers Flight 26g

5 minute additions:
Citra 25g
Mosaic 25g
Falconers Flight 25g

Mash grains in 2 different 7L pots 4.5L of water at 71degC
Mash temp: 67degC
1 hour mash, then mash out at 75degC for 5-10mins
Sparge 2L of water in each pot at 75degC
8.45L post boil at 1.078
Brew house Efficiency: 85%
Will dry hop 35g each hop
1.5L starter of US-05
Brew fridge set to 18.5degC
OG 1.064
FG 1.012
6.8% in the keg
7.2% in the bottle

Cheers

James

• Like 4

11 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I've got 2 FV in the fermenting fridge of Green Neck Lager. One on top of the other. The top one is closest to the fridge's cooling element and has the temp probe taped to it. Temperature set at 15C.

Hi Muzzy,

Given your situation, if I was brewing lagers I would have the temp controller set at 12°C for the upper FV.  I think there would be a bigger difference between the 15°C & 18°C combo than a 12°C and 15°C combo.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Muzzy,

Given your situation, if I was brewing lagers I would have the temp controller set at 12°C for the upper FV.  I think there would be a bigger difference between the 15°C & 18°C combo than a 12°C and 15°C combo.

Cheers

This is why you are the wisest sage on this forum, Shamus. It's probably too late for this brew but I'll definitely do that the next time.
Weird how it's seems such a logical thing to do but it never crossed my mind to actually do it. Thanks.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Or a 60L FV

I found my 60l FV problematic. It fits in the fridge...just...but it has to sit low in the fridge. Too low to get the bottling wand underneath. Means the FV has to come out or use a hose for bottling.
For the sake of simplicity I bought a second Coopers FV.

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

Yeah last week I bought the 30l & looked at the 60l - would you just double the ingredients ? would you get 46l of brew ? I am thinking you could tailor it to about 50l or so, need a crane to lift it.

When using the 60l I just doubled everything to make 46l brews but 50l wouldn't be a problem. I only use it during cooler months now when refrigeration isn't required. It sits on the kitchen counter at a height it can ferment and be bottled from without having to move it. 46 litres weighs a lot.

21 hours ago, Graubart said:

Check with me man @Red devil 44 he is a true believer haha!

You there Red?  I don't think there is a brew that goes by at RD44 Brewing without an extra tin of Coopers Liquid Malt is there mate?

Yes mate @Graubart Liquid Malt all the way, dry stuff is a thing of the past, you’ve converted me.

‘Next mission for you is to get me into AG ( don’t really have the space it’s all took up with 14 kegs 😂😂 )

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

Very Interesting post. When you say put a drop or two into one of your "Saazys" what is a Saazy.   Where do you get the liquid Lactic Acid or does it come in a powder and you have to mix it.

I'd like to try it in some lagers I have made.😀

Hey mate. Sazzys would be referring to a type of hop that @Graubart used in his Pilsner. Aka Saaz 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Graubart so in a plot twist today I thought I’d check the gravity of the Pilsner to before the cold crash. I noticed an incredibly clear sample. When I say clear I mean it looked like it was filtered. So I decided to check pH. Just for my own data. 
.2 of a point lower than a few days ago..... interesting..... Got me thinking....remember the old pH jump from dead yeast......the sample also tasted cleaner, maybe even crispish. Also interesting. Thought I’d take the sample and  Drop a few drops of lactic into it. I adjusted the sample pH to 4.0 (down from 4.3) 

At a pH of 4, my Pilsner is way to acidic. Verging on white wine. So....that would indicate the acid levels per mg in the Pilsner isn’t too far off where it should be, despite a slightly higher pH. I think acid levels (mg per litre)  should be in the vicinity of 15-20. 15 being the less acidic end. You can’t really check without a titration test but my tongue is a good enough indicator at this stage.  

so my conclusion, no lactic will go into this batch or if it does I won’t make a definite call until it’s filtered, carbed and conditioned for a week or so.