Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

2 hours ago, Graubart said:

I guess it depends on what spectrum you are talking about re Gal being opposite to Mozzie... but they are both good.

I sorta think Gal and Mozzie are closer together than to (East Kent Goldings) EKG and Fuggles  or to Hallertau variants but I guess it really depends upon which spectrum you're on...

If in Pales... well Gal is different to Mozz I guess... but I think some of the dank-contributing hops maybe like Amarillo-Columbus-Chinook would be more different again... 

But honestly who cares - trying different hops malt yeasts temps is all part of The Beautiful Brewing Journey 🤔

Ok I was doing well until 2nd paragraph hehe

I have soooo much yet to try. 

Aromatically speaking the Mosaic is different enough from Gal to be my first kinda hop comparison. So if not opposite, "different enough" would do. I just put it in so It's On Now anyway:) 

I haven't even settled yet on what base brews I like best so yeah, I'm at THAT stage 😄

I want to get to the stage where I can think of a brew idea and (roughly) know how to figure out, how to create it.

Lifespan limits me to only so many brews... Sigh... Only so many brews... Damn this humanity! 

Maybe it is time to look up some hops flavour charts... For now, Mosaic it is

(Shakes my fist at the sky... Damn this humanity!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Graubart said:

Any issues with yeast at all or did it clear up quickly with no line-plugging probs? 

No. I CC in the primary for 24 hours, then added gelatine the next day, let that sit for 24 hours, then transferred to the keg with the priming sugar. 

If you run into problems with a line plug you can get a floating dip tube. 

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Graubart said:

Think from memory that our old friend @PB2 used to suggest half a cup of white sugar for in-keg conditioning?

Oh? I remember him saying 70g. If he said half a cup that is more like 100g. No wonder my beer is under carbonated. Maybe I will try that next time. Thanks!

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1

Put this on today: 

MACE & Honey Ale

1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale
1.8kg light LME
700gm Vienna malt 18%
325gm Munich 10L 8.3%
200gm Cara Pils 5%
25gm Denali  hop stand x 30 minutes 
25gm Eldorado hop stand x 30 minutes
250g Honey
10mL Clarityferm
11g Nottingham yeast pitched at 19.2C. Temp will be reduced to 13C when signs of fermentation begin.
23L 
10g each of Mosaic, Amarillo, Cirta and Eldorado dry hops for 2 days post fermentation

First time using Nottingham in a long time, and first time fermenting it at 13C. Also my first time adding honey to beer. Looking forward to this. My one concern is that when I poured the partial mash wort into the FV some of the chilling water from the sink, on the outside of the pot, dripped into the FV. Darn! Hopefully it will be okay.

Cheers,

Christina.
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

How’s that lager coming along @Shamus O'Sean

Hey Mitch

Your Aussie Lager is coming along nicely.  It is under cold crash at the mo mo.  Fined with Isinglass and Polyclar.  Looking to keg and bottle the balance tomorrow (Saturday).

Disappointingly it finished at 1.011.  I was hoping for a few points lower.  It tastes more bitter than the 20 IBU's in the recipe.  I think once it gets same CO2 into it then it will be a nice easy drinker.

I will try to remember to post a pic on kegging day.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Cee said:

How does the temp difference effect the final product in tjis brew? I am keen to find out how it goes for you. 

A jump to 26° in a recipe calling for 16° would seem to be asking for off flavours and smells I'd think. 16° is below the cool threshold for most yeasts except Nottingham and lager yeasts and I don't think the lager yeasts would like 26° - for that matter I think Nottingham recommended top temp is 22°.

Be interesting to see what comes out the other end. 

13 hours ago, Stickers said:

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/dass-alto.html

cooper's recipe site.. great place for ideas

There's also the spreadsheet Shamus has been keeping up to date - 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Stickers said:

IMG_7069.thumb.jpg.2276ae7553c32775035bb9bc3bda9f00.jpg

my dass alto is going well. brewing ambient, didn't really pay attention to the temp of the recipe (suggested 16c) nor the forecast for melbourne this week (medium hot) so i'm probably running closer to 26c. should still be a good batch though, i've brewed with nottingham yeast before over summer and it does the job nicely. will dryhop tomorrow and bottle hopefully sunday.

Nottingham at 26C? Likely a lot of banana esters. I actually don't mind them in English Bitters.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cee said:

For now, Mosaic it is

Mate it will be GOLD... one step at a time and no use rushing things haha 😁   I remember my first Pale Mozzie well - and it was a tearer of balls : )

Apologies to those whom have seen this photee before:

image.thumb.png.224711203aaa75c208f1ebe83f96451a.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Funny, I have never got any hint of dankness from Amarillo. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Do you get much Orange out of it...  I am not sure whether my Am was a bit elderly... was on spesh... who knows...  maybe it was more grape-fruity than dank? 

Dunno.... it is all I find very hard to describe... there is some more in the fridge so might have to try again and see what transpires Christina? 🤔

20 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

I find it floral and orange-y. It is quite light. Maybe yours were past their prime?

Possibly Christina...  Mnn one thing too - it was not an Am-SMASH... so maybe my Am was monstered by Col and Chin which might have introduced more overpowering dank-ness?

And maybe too differences re time of introduction?

7 hours ago, Journeyman said:

A jump to 26° in a recipe calling for 16° would seem to be asking for off flavours and smells I'd think. 16° is below the cool threshold for most yeasts except Nottingham and lager yeasts and I don't think the lager yeasts would like 26° - for that matter I think Nottingham recommended top temp is 22°.

I'm popping the lid a bit later to do the dry hop, will let you know how the smell test goes. And the entire ferment has been 24-26c so it hasn't made a jump from 16c, it's been "relatively" consistent temperature wise. guessing that yes, a few of the flavours will be different from what the recipe intended but should still be drinkable

3 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Nottingham at 26C? Likely a lot of banana esters. I actually don't mind them in English Bitters.

which ever way it turns out i'll be sure to post a review in a few weeks when it's time to open them 🙂

• Like 3

@Stickers today I tasted the hydrometer sample of a EB with Nottingham that was at 24 at start of fermentation. I went to bed after night shift and forgot to add frozen bottles to water tub its in. The start is where it's more vigorous and where flavours good or bad are meant to come through. It tasted fairly good to me before the hop tea was added if your adding hops also nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Graubart said:

rushing things haha 😁   I remember my first Pale Mozzie well - and it was a tearer of balls : )

Apologies to those whom have seen this photee before

"Pale Mozzie"- aha! Noooowww I understand a few earlier posts about Pale Ale recipes haha. 

That does look like a rippa. And a great photo too! When I try mine I'll be sure to dig out a certain wearable cricket item and the Aerogard! 

About rushing things, yep. Guilty as charged (A brew I am conditioning is currently way too sour... I should call it "Pet Semetary". Unintended results of experimentng with things I do not yet understand) 😄

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Mitch

Your Aussie Lager is coming along nicely.  It is under cold crash at the mo mo.  Fined with Isinglass and Polyclar.  Looking to keg and bottle the balance tomorrow (Saturday).

Disappointingly it finished at 1.011.  I was hoping for a few points lower.  It tastes more bitter than the 20 IBU's in the recipe.  I think once it gets same CO2 into it then it will be a nice easy drinker.

I will try to remember to post a pic on kegging day.

Nice mate. I’m gunna take a stab and say that the lack of dex contributed to the higher FG. I usually get it down to 1.004ish and I’ve got 300g that goes in. Not sure on your mash schedule but I give it a fair whack at 62 then up to 72 and then 78 for mash out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Nice mate. I’m gunna take a stab and say that the lack of dex contributed to the higher FG. I usually get it down to 1.004ish and I’ve got 300g that goes in. Not sure on your mash schedule but I give it a fair whack at 62 then up to 72 and then 78 for mash out. 

My mash was 52°C for 5 minutes (so I can take a pH reading and adjust if necessary), then 65°C for an hour plus 75°C for mash out.  I used 250g of raw sugar

I did ferment a little cooler at 13°C until 1.018, then raised to 18°C for 2 days and then to 20°C for 2 days.  Predicted FG was 1.007

My S-189 was BB December 2020.  But I made a starter assuming 75% viability.  Maybe I over estimated this and the yeast just got tired out.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@Shamus O'Sean with my limited experiece with extract lagers the s-189 finishes a little higher than Dubbya and even coopers lager yeast supplied with tins with same ingredients. 

I’ve actually had the opposite experiences with those yeasts. My recent Pilsner with the dubbya finished at 1.007 and a previous batch done with s189 finished at 1.004. Wort composition, grain bill and ferment Temp were all different so that would also contribute to differences seen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Yeah maybe the yeast kicked the bucket... even though raw sugar is a “simple” sugar, I think it contains an additional molecule of sucrose making it slightly longer than just the glucose.... do you use yeast nutrients? 

Yeast nutrients is one thing that I have not used.  It might be the next step.  I occasionally chuck an old yeast in the boil.  I aerate my all grain wort these days.

There is something to be said for using every thing that can help. Especially as, in this case, I used an old yeast to start with. 

• Like 1